Snowed in . . . what to do?

Hydroman52

Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:41 am

Sometimes it takes careful planning to brace for the storm properly. The weather army had been warning us that we were in for a big winter battle this weekend, and it hit last night. In my younger days, I would have just ignored the warnings. But age has taught me to prepare, and last night I brewed a large pot of chili, brought in firewood, and pulled the snowshoes and cross-country skis down from storage. No disappointments when I woke up this morning . . . .

A snowy day

I know that somewhere on this Earth, someone else has it tougher, but this is enough to pause things for a little bit. Here is a song to go with it. Go to this site, then click on “Listen Now: . . . . . “ and forward to 4:45 into the song set:

Song for a snowy day

So today is no worries, playing guitar, playing in the snow with the dog, and hot chili. Life is good when you make it that way.

Hydroman52

BobR

Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:53 am

Hydroman,

Over here in the Northeast (Mass that is) we haven't seen the white stuff yet. You can keep it for a while :laugh: I am not ready to see that Salt Truck yet.

Have fun and "MMM" Chili sounds good.

Bob

haoli25

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:14 pm

Life is good! A pot of chili, a guitar, and a great song to work on........

Bill

tom18

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:19 pm

I remember a number of times when we were inundated by snow when I lived in Madison. The only problem was that the bus system was so good that you really didn't have an excuse not go to the lab and work all day! Homemade chili sounds pretty good right now. It's rainy and cold here in New Jersey today; maybe I'll make a pot too.
Tom

tom18

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:19 pm

I remember a number of times when we were inundated by snow when I lived in Madison. The only problem was that the bus system was so good that you really didn't have an excuse not go to the lab and work all day! Homemade chili sounds pretty good right now. It's rainy and cold here in New Jersey today; maybe I'll make a pot too.
Tom

dieguy

Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:03 pm

I have been shoveling and snowblowing for 2 straight days now. I finally get home and had my DVR set to tape the Vikings game. I go to play it and this is what I see:

This is amazing!

We had 16+ inches of snow with white out blizzard conditions all day and night yesterday. This is already the 3rd "snowstorm" of the year that required plowing and snowblowing. It is going to be an interesting winter. Now it is time to relax with a cold one and my guitar B)

Bill

Hydroman52

Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:09 pm

Hey Bill,

Yup, you got quite a bit more over by you in the cities. Many years ago, I lived south of St. Paul in Apple Valley and remember all the snow that we would get. Many a snow fort was built. Many a young warrior fell in the snowball battles. It looks like your team will be playing tomorrow night as the "home" team in Detroit. It was quite comical to see the people up on the roof shoveling that thing off by hand.

How much will these kids make for this shoveling job?

Guess that's the only way to do it. Still, it will take them quite a while to get it done. It's quite a number of acres, isn't it?

Good luck tomorrow night. Should be interesting.

Hydroman52

sbutler

Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:50 pm

It seems kinda funny that the states are just now getting bad weather. The pond behind my log home has been frozen since Oct. We've had some snow off and on, 18 to 20" total for the year I suppose. But now we are dealing with COLD.

I've been flying out to western Alaska now for most of the year, and I've seen -28c several times this week.

So if you can hang out till the roads are clear, eat that chilly, play that guitar, and hope somebody closes the door between here and there before you get some cold to go with that snow.

Scott

dieguy

Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:16 pm

Hey Hydroman,

Where are you located now? Great Video, I wouldn't want to be up there in the winds we have been having. Crazy

Talk about snow forts, I have some huge piles along side the driveway that my youngest has been carving into most of the day. What fun!

Scott,

The cold has definitely come in right behind the snow. I think we only made it up to 7 deg today and it sounds like below zero again tonight.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic