BOSS MICRO BR,,digital recording production station..

AcousticAl

Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:18 pm

I had a PM from Leeson asking about the quality of the internal mic on the BR. It reminded me that I posted this demo a while back showing just that.

This was just a demo of me recording a song-- not really a how-to video...

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/7-a ... acoustical

willem

Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:39 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
I had a PM from Leeson asking about the quality of the internal mic on the BR. It reminded me that I posted this demo a while back showing just that.

This was just a demo of me recording a song-- not really a how-to video...

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/7-a ... acoustical

Thx again,,i have seen those then and lately,,,the YT vids are very clear and i'm a step(s) further,, i was also amazed on the on board mike,but after a while i would purchase a extern mike(after research),,,,if i lay the micro br on a wooden table i would put something under it(a kind of isolation)..

When you have or make more demo's it would be nice.......i like this gadget it's worth the price...

Everybody thanks for your input...

leeson

Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:15 pm

Thanks Al.

I may look into getting one of those. I must say I am a bit intimidated by all the tech. I wonder if there is a simple one out there? It would be really nice to be able to record a rhythm track and then add in the lead or just jam along c the rhythm the way I play it.

Bill

wiley

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:43 am

willem

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:37 am

wiley wrote:
[quote]Willem,
I've also played around with the unit and plugged in the Stereo speaker system I usually have plugged into my laptop. Using it kind of like a direct monitor system (plugged into the PHONES/LINE OUT jack, 'phantom' power off) instead of going through a PC or the like. The speaker system does have a powered Sub-Woofer and, no problems.

Hi Wiley,,,you mean you plugged in your BR on your cd stereo set and used the lineout//phone jack,,is that possible?? cos i don't have a line in on my dvd/cd stereo,,,can we use the lineout as a line in?? i don't know anything abaut ''phantom power off!!!!

EDIT:: sorry,,i think you record something from your cd player to the BR??/ right??

AcousticAl

Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:26 am

Hi Willem,

I've done a quick video demo and will upload it soon- but I hope you're not more confused by the end of it. I realize after watching it that I'm not the greatest at how-to videos.

Some thoughts before you watch it-

-Watch the other videos links that I posted to get a basic knowledge of the controls.

-Forget about the 'virtual tracks'- at least for now. I haven't really gotten into them yet, and they're quite confusing and unnecessary for TG's purposes.

-Think of the BR as a special tape deck. You can rewind and play it-- but you can also overdub onto it using up to 4 tracks.
-Record a track onto track #1. Rewind it. Play it back and listen to it with headphones.
-Enable track #2 (and disable track #1). Play and hear what you recorded while recording a second track.
-Rewind and play that back and hear tracks 1 and 2 together. And so on.

Hopefully my video will make it easier to visualize.
Ask specific questions after watching it. You may have a few :S

wiley

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:01 pm

Willem,

I use the same speaker set-up that plugs into (normally) my laptop. The system is not one of those rather expensive ones, just a normal, stereo 3 speaker system including a 'powered' sub-woofer (Bass Speaker). They run around $50us. I do this by inserting the cable that would normally be in the 'headphone' or 'audio out' jack in the laptop and plug it into the phones/line out jack of the BR.

The 'phantom power' on/off is part of the BR internal programming and is used to 'power' any external microphone(s), which I have. The problem I had, albeit a small one, with the external mic was the only way I could use it was plugged directly into the side of the BR, making it necessary to have the entire unit close to whatever I wanted to record. With the cable I bought, I now have the ability to use the Stereo Microphone within a 20 foot area of the Micro BR, leaving the BR in a stationary place.

I haven't really experimented with the BR enough to know exactly how, yet I do know the 'firewire' (the cable that connects the BR to the computer) can be used to download and upload several formats like MP3. This cable must be bought separately (I believe) and isn't expensive, around $6us for a 6 foot or so. The input side of the cable is called a "mini-B" while the computer end is a USB.

So, to answer your question, I'm not sure about downloading from a CD player or the like, haven't tried that yet. I do think it would be possible though, probably by using the 'headphone' jack on the CD player as an 'out' source. I do know we can download and upload from and to a PC using the firewire and the proper software.

AcousticAl

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:11 pm

Here's the videos. The first one is about basic controls and overdubbing:

The second one covers pan and level controls once you've recorded a song (1 of 2 videos)

The third one covers a bit about exporting, and reviews pan and level again.
** A note about the 3rd video--
You can only use this way of exporting if you only have 1 or 2 tracks of audio. If you have 3 or 4 tracks, you need to get into Mastering- which is something I didn't cover yet. Stick with only 2 tracks to start until you really figure things out for yourself.

The internal mic is ok for our purposes, Willem.. but you need to make sure it's close enough to you to pick up your sound properly. To get really good audio, you'll need an external mic like the one Wiley mentioned. To get REALLY good audio, you'll need a pro mic and mixer. You don't want to go there yet. Learn the BR first.

Once you figure out how to record a song properly, I'll explain how to get it OFF of the Micro and onto your computer. You do this using the usb connector Wiley mentioned. It's another involved process that may take another video to explain.
One step at a time.

Some general important points about recording:
Input: Controls the INPUT you're recording with.
Input Level: Obvious- level you're recording at.
Utility: Lets you MANAGE songs you've created. Load, delete, create a new one etc.
Exit: gets you out of whatever you're in when you're lost.
TR1,2,3,4: Controls track selections- but ALSO controls some menu functions.
Volume: Controls headphone level

Lavallee

Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:02 pm

This is great Al, thanks for the demo. I need to get one of those. It must help a lot with the timing since you can play 2 or 3 parts. Could you clarify how you sync the camera with the sound? I am sure you mentioned before but I cannot find it.

Marc

willem

Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:12 pm

@Wiley..,,thanks,now i understand,,i must read it well and well so i be back there,,thanks again.

@ Al,, way to go AL,,,Just the start i needed(Wiley's too),,you did there a very good job and hope also others follow this,cos this is such a great gadget, a must have for our great hobby,,certainly this thing is very menu driven,but i could'nt start 1-1-11 better then this,,lets keep this thread a live,,of course you are not used to making a tutorial vid yet but i understand it very well and hope it served you too,,so now i have one question(just curious)''did you made a script or was this free out of hand''??..

ps I go work whit that and let you know,,when i have questions i'll be there thanks...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic