Canadians ban Dire Straits song from airways ??...HUH ?...slap my bitch is ok, but this is not ?

tom18

Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:30 pm

Matt,
That's reminiscent of the recent uproar over reprinting Mark Twain's masterpiece 'Huck Finn' in order to make it more politically correct.
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/01/05/new ... es-n-word/
I'm pretty darn sure (positive in fact) that Mark Knopfler and Mark Twain both intended to draw attention to bigotry and show how ridiculous that behavior is. Unfortunately once in a while someone gets carried away with the literal reading of artistic works and concludes that they either don't belong in polite society or at least need some touching up. I'm sure our Canadian friends will straighten out the responsible individual.
Tom

TGMatt

Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Yes the Huck Finn thing has me deeply troubled, only last year the US was chastising Japan for it's textbooks "re-writing" the history and horror of World War 2...

tovo

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:04 pm

Touchy subject I am sure but I have to agree strongly with what Tom has articulated so very well. Bans like this never seem a good idea to me.

thereshopeyet

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:21 pm

Thanks

Lavallee

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:22 am

I did not know about this and it is a little embarassing. Canada as always been a country of free speach but every now and then manage to to make a storm in a glass of water. This censorship is based on the complain of one person. If nobody complains , no censorship. Knopfler does not use the faggot word in the live song and he will edit the master to change the word (from what I read) so he also feels to be somewhat out of line. But the censorship is definetely overboarded. Most stations are still playing the song as a protest. I am pretty sure all the countries do that at one point or another. I am not saying it is right, there are always going to be government agencies with the mandate to "protect the people" that are not protecting from the right stuff.

Marc

haoli25

Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:29 am

The CBSC may find this harder to enforce than they thought. Many Canadian radio stations receive their programming via satellite from U.S. companies (like Dial-Global). The Canadian affilitaes have no control over the music played on their stations.

Bill

Chasplaya

Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:42 pm

Next we'll be putting a 'Hoody' on the Venus de Milo...

Marc no need to be embarrassed because a few people have convinced the bureaucracy to censor. For those that remember 'Noddy' I say bring back the 'Golliwog'.

wammer

Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:16 pm

At this point does it really matter.......Im messed up already from all the years I've listen to it :ohmy:

THATS MY STORY :P

Chasplaya

Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:23 pm

wammer wrote:
At this point does it really matter.......Im messed up already from all the years I've listen to it :ohmy:

THATS MY STORY :P

That Knopfler fella has a lot to answer for..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic