>> Going to Gainesville (via Arizona ) and might just drive - thoughts ?

TGMatt

Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:15 am

Never seem to stop travelling at present, but after a week planning and working with Mike to break through some site issues, I have to get to Gainesville, thinking of driving, and wondered if anyone had done this trip ...??...thoughts, ideas ?..any of you guys on route ?..

Oh and that's Gainesville Florida..leaving from Scottsdale

Lavallee

Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:42 am

I drove from Panama city, FL to Tucson AZ. Hope you have a bunch of good music :)

Marc

TGMatt

Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:46 am

Music is not an issue I have a large CD collection, 3 ipods and satellite radio with some very cool channels including my fave that plays prog rock..

How long that trip take ya mate ?..I have a convertible so maybe I can do the whole trip with roof down , music blaring and police in the rear view ?

Lavallee

Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:59 am

It was during one week and was visiting customers along the way ( a milk man run :) ). I had actually left from Atlanta (not many fligth to Panama city :) . I think it migth be a little chilly to go with the roof down in Texas, this week. Will be Ok with a cool hat though

jcrocket

Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:01 am

I'll be traveling some of those same roads in a couple of weeks, helping my daughter move from Los Angeles to Austin. I'm afraid the U-Haul I'll be driving won't have satellite radio though. :(

Jeff

Lavallee

Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 am

I have radio satellite in my car now and I reallly enjoy it. They do not play the standard loop of songs as the standard station, plus you do not have to change station every 20 minutes if you are driving a long distance. A worthy investment.

Marc

Chasplaya

Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:27 am

Take a right at Austin and Feilding NZ is only another 14000kms You might get wet even if the roof was up though :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

AcousticAl

Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:39 am

You still in Scottsdale Matt??

I land tomorrow on a work trip! Would be great to meet for a pint if our scheds allowed.

Will pm you.

sws626

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:14 am

Hi Matt,

I've done LA AL (Los Angeles Alabama) several times and could suggest some routes. Depends whether you're aiming to optimize for speed or pleasure. I-10 is the obvious choice, but there's a lot more to see if you get off the interstate and visit some of the towns that time forgot. I assume you're already well familiar with all the beauty of the Southwest. A detour through Austin is always worthwhile and, if you have the time, so is a loop up through Arkansas and the Delta to Memphis and then down via Macon.

The shortest I've been able to do a straight shot (via I-10) is two days (not recommended). The longest was about 3 weeks.

-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic