The Birthday Report

TGNeil

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi Gang,

First, I just want to thank everybody for all the good wishes, thoughts and thanks. I have to tell you that your participation, contributions, and overwhelming enthusiasm for TotallyGuitars has turned this site into much more than Matt and I ever imagined.

As our plans and ideas were forming, there certainly was no guarantee or promise that it would even get off the ground, let alone evolve into what we now have. The main thing that was appealing and exciting for me was that the thousands of lessons I had given over the years that were now really nothing more than vapor and memories, could be captured on video, preserved, and available to anybody who was interested, for as long a period as anybody cared. I was seeing it as a personal scrapbook of my life’s work. Not many people are fortunate enough to ever compile such a valuable and rewarding memento.

The fact that TG has grown into what is almost its own universe, and become such an important part of so many people’s lives is really astounding to me. I am so proud of all of you and thrilled to be part of this incredible Community!

Next, I want to send a huge thanks to my great friend and business partner Matt Williams. I’m sure most of you are aware of the fact the TG would never have come into being, and certainly never become what it is without him and his entrepreneurial skills.

I look at myself as a creative musical artist and educator, and no one with those particular talents gets to where we are without some one who is brilliant in business and marketing. Our partnership has become a very solid foundation for this enjoyable endeavor. It has also grown into a great friendship on all other levels as well. My friend, I am so grateful to you, the circumstances that brought you to Los Gatos in the first place, and then that you wandered into Joplin & Sweeney on your quest to get music into your life.

Even a few years ago, before we met, I felt like I had made a positive impact on many people’s lives by increasing their enjoyment and understanding of music. I also felt very satisfied and fulfilled on the personal side with a wonderful family and circle of friends. I did not imagine that my small, contented bubble could be blown up to a global scale but that is exactly what has happened. In case it is not obvious, I am honored and proud to have you as my friend and partner.

Words can not really express how much I enjoy everything going on here and every moment I spend working on things for our site, let alone the personal rewards I feel for being a part of touching so many people’s lives. Great thanks again to all involved.

Neil

P.S. On the lighter side- a quick note on how the day went.

I had a short list of things I wanted to do my 55th birthday and I have to say everything I hoped to accomplish came together seamlessly.

I was up early, 5:00 (as about usual), a little coffee, dip in the hot tub to loosen up and by 6:30 was on my way to St. Joseph’s Hill, a local trail that I used to run up and down all the time in my younger (and lighter) days. This was still quite a bit before sunrise but there was just enough moonlight to barely see the ground. It is about a 6 mile trip with about 1000’ gain in elevation. I was at the top still quite a bit before sunrise and hung out at the top for a little while before heading down.

This trail is a very popular route for runners, hikers, and cyclists, most of whom were on their way up as I was coming down. I even had a quick exchange with guy on a bike who recognized me from TG and yelled out that he loved the site and was subscriber. As you might imagine, this gave me a huge lift and I felt like I was walking on air.

The other things I had hoped to get done before noon (watching a couple of football games was the afternoon agenda) were put new strings on the guitar, play a bit- possibly a quick video, and get out with my daughter Lizzie for a little pitching practice. Basically, it all came together and by noon I was settled in on the couch for 7 hours of football.

During the games, my 3 closest relatives all dropped by- my mom Lucille, my sister Anne, and my cousin Pete. We had a great time, especially near the end when we broke out some strange desserts that Anne and Lizzie put together- cake pops. These were small balls of compressed cake dipped in a candy coating on a stick.

We ended the evening watching an episode of a TV series that I was a big fan of as a teenager, Ellery Queen. Some of our US folks might remember these detective shows from the 70s- Columbo was another one I was especially fond of.

All in all it was great day, topped off by all the good wishes from everyone at TotallyGuitars that I saw as I occasionally wandered by the computer.

I hope all of you can have a day like this sometime, birthday or not.

suziko

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Neil,

What a nice note to read. I'm so glad you had such a pleasant birthday. I'm glad you know what an impact you've had on so many people through this website. Sometimes I can't believe how much better I play guitar now than I did a year and a few months ago, when I first joined TG. Playing guitar has brought me so much happiness and satisfaction. So, once again, thank you.

Suzi

tovo

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:55 pm

I agree entirely with what Suzi has said, I feel the same. You have made a very positive impact Neil on people all over the World. Not many people can say that.

eagle670

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:33 pm

Thanks for sharing Neil. Sounds like you had a wonderful day. I would love to see your part of the country at some point. Actually it would be great to be able to see the grass again, but it has been covered with the white stuff(snow not sand) for so long I forgot what it looked like.

Kevin

sbutler

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:37 pm

And I'll triple all the above Neil.

I've always been a goal oriented person, but the guitar had eluded me for many years. I took the first step and got it back in my hands, and I have to say that you've basically done the rest.

Although we have never met, you can and should be proud of how far I've come along musically, and I'm just a drop in the huge bucket of folks just like me.

Sounds like you had the day you had hoped for and you certainly deserve it.

Thanks again for sharing your special gift with us.

Scott

lmc831

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:29 pm

HI Neil,

I also argee with the other members that this guitar site has helped me in my guitar playing since I've joined. I have checked out 2 other guitar sites along the way and TG, is soo much better in all areas of teaching,etc. I love it here and hope to stay a long time. I love the community...the kindness, respect and support from all those that participate. You, Matt and the other TG employees are doing such a great job in providing a Wonderful guitar website on the internet. All I can say is, my money is well spent! Thank you!

best wishes,

Lisa

lueders

Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Neil,

Thanks for the nice sentiments you expressed in your message...I am in complete agreement with Suzi, & Tony that
that was a very nice message; indeed.
It has been said by so many, many times already...but I suppose it is okay to gush redundantly
as long as it is heart felt & sincere.

Well, it is...Neil you're just a a heck of a good guy; and an exceptional human
being. Of everything at T.G. Neil Hogan the person is what I like best. Thanks for all you do!

BobR

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Neil,

I am glad your day went so well for you. I also wanted to say that I am so glad I stumbled upon this website when I did and was able to join the best guitar learning site there is. Without you, and everyone at TG including all the members I would not even be close to where I am today.

Thanks

Bob

millponddave

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi Neil.

Glad your birthday was all you hoped it would be. I have to echo whatever everyone has already said. I hope that TG is around for a very long time.

Dave

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic