need help with barre chord in "Quicksand"

lmc831

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi everyone...Neil told me to post this in the forum for any advice. " .I have been working on your lesson "quicksand" for the past 3 weeks. My only problem is in section B. You know that nasty barre chord! It seems that when I make the barre chord, the crease on my finger ( in the knuckle areas ) is not coming in contact with the string. So, the notes are not sounding clean in those areas. I have tried rearranging my finger,but I am feeling alot of discomfort with my left hand. I practice on that part all the time and it seems it is not getting any easier for me. Any suggestions before I give up? Thanks...
Lisa

webtvdan

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi Lisa,

Are you referring to measure 23?

You dare Lisa, haha, level 9, wauw! :cheer:

Ness

lmc831

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:47 pm

YES! Measures 22 and 23...oh and while I'm at it...#30. Its cramping my left hand. :( :angry: ;)

willem

Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:07 pm

Oeps Lisa,,,i think good position does a lot,,guitar good against your body(feel it) headstock a litlle to the sky and try to relax..look at Neil,,i think you do...goodluck..

Were can i find ''quicksand''...

lmc831

Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi Willem,

I keep all that in mind about the position of guitar and other things. I usually dont have a difficult time with other barre chords. This one is putting alot of tension in my hand. This song is in the "drip feed " section. When u click on that link, enter "Quicksand" in the search bar.

Thanks, Lisa

tvarga

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi Lisa,

I learned this section by watching Neil's left hand very closely in the video. Note that he reaches with his first finger that is doing the barre much higher than normal. It appears that he's putting the 6th string almost at the first crease of first finger. If you do that, then your 2nd finger naturally has to bend to get 'back' to the 6th string at the 8th fret. Then you just have to learn where to put the 3rd and 4th fingers quick enough with enough force. That's what I have trouble with. By the time I get to measure 23, I find that I have to press really hard with all 4 fingers to get any sound out at all. Luckily, it's only for a very short while so your fingers can rest afterwards.

Don't give up! It's a beautiful song and may well become the first one that I feel like I can play in front of others (live) and feel like just maybe, I know how to play guitar a little. :)

-Tom

BobR

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Lisa,

I see Tom has already given you some good advice, I agree on the first finger to put it up higher than normally, at least when I play such a chord I do that as well, or at least I try, haha! :P

Do you play this on a classical guitar or a steelstring? :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic