One for Dennis LOL

AndyT

Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:28 pm

Ok, I know I come down on Apple pretty hard. I have my reasons. Mostly I like to play devil's advocate (shame on me!) and see how proponents respond.

For my birthday, my brother sent me an iPod Shuffle 4GB. The very small rectangular one. It is very nice and I like it a lot.
Yes, I now own an Apple device. *heavy sigh*

My only gripe is now I have to use iTunes and that is one piece of software that really aggravates me. I can't make backup copies of stuff using it. It locks all my mp3 files so I can't even use them normally.

Is there an alternative to iTunes? I REALLY hope so.

tovo

Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Andy you can back up your entire iTunes library to disk man. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Welcome to the club. One you have had Mac you never go back!

heatndude

Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:54 pm

Andy all I use is MAC and it is great stuff compared to the darn PC stuff in my office. I have a mobile me account that backs up all my music, photos, contacts, pushes e-mail to all my devices etc.. It doesnt get any easier !

itunes
imovie
ipad
ipod
iplayguitar
imrunningoutofithings

imark

AndyT

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:07 pm

I lost almost $100 of music thanks to iTunes 'lock it up and forget the key' policy. I tried to back them up and put them on my new computer and iTunes encrypted them and I couldn't get them open. I called Apple tech support and they told me that it does that on purpose. So iTunes be dammed. I'm not losing any more $$ on it.

AndyT

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:13 pm

As a side note, now that the cat's been released... Over the years, Apples policy of locking stuff so it can't be copied has cost me quite a bit of money. Enough to buy a nice new Martin. So I'm stuck to PC if for no other reason than I can get into everything on it and I don't loose anything.

RicksPick

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:05 am

Hi Andy

There is no need to use iTunes
I use winamp on windows

I did have iTunes, but when I reformated as I do every year, iTunes tells me it is registered with another computer and will have to wipe the ipod and start again
So I now use winamp ( others availible) I can manage any device, just plug any brand in and manage it any way I chose.

RicksPick
iTunes hater :angry:

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:29 am

Andy:

Sent you a PM on the matter...... ;)

I am a fan of Itunes, but don't use it to purchase my music, only to organize it and load my IPods/IPhone. I keep my music in MP3 format to show my rebel side against Apple's "Purchased AAC" crap. If I want to use a song for something else, and I have purchased it, I should be able to do so......

ITunes' converter puts out a great MP3 format for loading onto the MicroBR and it also makes it easy to snip out parts of songs for loading onto my IPhone as ringtones. Can be quite useful, if you do a bit of research on it.

J

BigBear

Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Andy-

I feel your pain on this one. My family bought me a 160GB iPod Christmas-before-last and I now have over 700 albums on it and it's only a third full.

Tony, is correct that it is really easy to back up your music. But it can take some serious storage. I use a 1TB external hard drive because I'm lazy and it works fine.

It seems to me that iTunes uses it's own file structures to create your music library. But any mp3 player can access it. I don't believe the file structure is proprietary.

Where I part ways with iTunes is I don't ever use their Store because they place ridiculous limits on how many times you can copy a song, even for your own use. That's crap because I like making "Best of" playlists and copying them to disc so I can play them in my car. I really don't appreciate iTunes telling me I only get 7 copies or whatever it is. After 7 do I have to re-buy the song? Ridiculous.

I buy 95% of my music from Amazon with outstanding results. And I copy their artwork for my iPod.

Apple will eventually figure out how to screw up this whole music thing but for now I'm a happy camper!

AndyT

Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll try WinAmp.
So far, when I turn the thing on it starts yelling that it needs to be sync'ed to iTunes to work.

Rick, EXACTLY! Once I buy it it's mine and I should be able to use it when and where I want.

*mumbling something about Apples unwed parents...*

Oh... Did I say that aloud? My bad. Sorry.

tovo

Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:56 pm

Restricting the number of times you can copy your own music is silly I agree. Obviously they do it to stop people copying unlimited disks and handing them out but it is frustrating no doubt.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic