Flip cameras: out of business

dennisg

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:41 am

If you've been itching to buy a new Flip camera, now's the time. Their parent company (Cisco Systems) just killed the brand and laid off all 550 Flip employees.

In an era where smart phones can shoot video and provide navigation, the companies that make low-end cameras and GPS systems are finding their customers abandoning these devices.

Flip ... we hardly knew ye.

Catman

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:57 am

And they bought the encoder chips from the company I work for. Bummer.

BigBear

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:15 pm

What's even more amazing to me is that Flip was the #1 producer of inexpensive pocket video cams making over 4 million units per year. But Cisco was losing money and the smart phones may have killed this category completely.

I guess ultimately I'm glad I didn't invest in one. I have a slightly used pda if anyone needs one! That category died too! lol! :lol:

TGMatt

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:20 pm

Their is not a smart phone on the planet that can film as well as a flip, Kodak Zi8 or the unit I just bought a Sony Bloggie..

The story is deeper than this, but I wont go into detail, Cisco CEO is on thin ice if not already gone for his many stupid moves, but a bloggie from Sony at under 100 bucks is a great great replacement, if not superior.

BigBear

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 pm

TGMatt wrote:
Their is not a smart phone on the planet that can film as well as a flip, Kodak Zi8 or the unit I just bought a Sony Bloggie..

The story is deeper than this, but I wont go into detail, Cisco CEO is on thin ice if not already gone for his many stupid moves, but a bloggie from Sony at under 100 bucks is a great great replacement, if not superior.

Matt- key feature of the Zi8 is an input jack for an external microphone. Does the Sony have this as well? They sell the Bloggie's at Costco but I couldn't see the inputs.

Thanks mate! :cheer:

willem

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:05 am

Flip out,Bloggie in????

TGMatt

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Doesnt appear to Rick but for 99 bucks what the hell. the upper end models may, just goggle around on Sony mate

michelew

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:23 pm

Does anyone know how the sound of the Sony Bloggie (or the Zip for that matter) compares to the iPhone 4, as an audio and video recorder?

My Blue Snowball and iMac camera combo is giving me some issues at the moment (overloading it with strumming songs). So I'm considering other options.

Sorry to sidetrack this.

ta

M.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic