Another view of the Alaska Range, upclose and personal.

sbutler

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Well I just can't help but hit the record button on my little video camera when I get to cruise through the tops of the jagged peaks of the Alaska Range, at 250mph.

Yesterday was another perfect flying day in Alaska, and as we usually do, we picked our own cruising altitude instead of the on that ATC assigns. This put us below some of the tops, instead of several thousand feet over them.

Some of these cliffs and spires are hundreds, even thousands of feet tall. And the snow has been there since the last Ice age. Its all melting pretty fast, so I'm glad I live here to see it while its still here.

Scott

willem

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi SCOTT, i don't feel but i hear the cold and hope you will remember other colors too..Scott i found this very special,,a flying TG friend..thanks

Music Junkie

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:49 pm

Scott:

Beautiful shots........ :)

Nothing better than the high country. We don't quite get that extreme here in the Sierras, but there are some places where glaciers remain in the back country and I love getting to see them each year. The fishing on along the way does not hurt either..... B)

Jason

cosmicmechanic

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:58 pm

I guess seeing this live, in person puts certain everyday things in perspective ... do they actually pay you for that ? ;) :P

lueders

Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:23 pm

Thanks for that Scott! I'm sure that is as close to experiencing the Alaskan range (or in some cases any other range )that some of us will get in his or her lifetime. Almost like we were there with you!

Reminds me of younger days and seeing the ocean for the first time and being totally overwhelmed by the vastness of it. This is a similar experience yet, unique experience I believe.

Truly, appreciate you letting us share this experience with you.

pbraun

Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Scott that was great, there nothing so beautiful as the Alaska mountain range. Thanks for sharing something so special.
Pete

tovo

Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:57 pm

sbutler wrote:
as we usually do, we picked our own cruising altitude instead of the on that ATC assigns. This put us below some of the tops, instead of several thousand feet over them.
You're the pilot Scott not me...but don't spend too much time looking at the scenery....look at where you are going! ;)

Beautiful though....thanks a lot for putting it up.

pbraun

Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:39 pm

OMG......such beauty makes a person shut up instantly....

Thank you very much for sharing, that was gréat!

Ness

millponddave

Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:16 pm

Wow! incredible country. I would love to stomp around in those mountains for a while.
Thanks for sharing.

Dave

sbutler

Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:56 pm

To all that have commented, YOUR VERY WELCOME. It is truly and amazing place. The wildness of Alaska is what drew me to it 11 years ago. Saturday after I shot that footage, then got back to Anchorage, the two fellas that I was with, and myself had to do another trip just a little farther towards western Alaska. Close to 400 miles, and I only saw two villages with more than a dozen people. Almost 2 and half hours, and nothing. No Citys, no roads, no NOTHING. It is as it was 10000 or 50000 years ago.

I've been in about every moutain range in the Lower 48, and never been more than 20 miles from a road. Up here I fly over mountains that still don't have names. Some of them have probably never had a foot step on them. And here there are plenty of places that are hundreds of miles away from a road.

To see something that humans haven't screwed up is what amazes me about this place. But it is changing pretty quickly. I'm glad I'm here to see it now.

Next up, my back yard. That is as soon as I convert it and upload it to youtube.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic