I can't..sorry

KennyF

Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:16 am

Willem,

The feeling of being overwhelmed is a naturally occurring thing whenever we are learning something new. Ironically, this is typically followed be a comforting feeling that we're actually starting to get somewhere and then, WHAM, along comes another stumbling block.

I think that this happens for a few very specific reasons. When are trying to add something new to our knowledge base, we tend to over think and concentrate too much on what we are trying to learn. This over thinking takes our brain off of 'auto pilot' and places us in a position where even the things that we've begun to do subconsciously are dragged back into the 'manual mode'. So, we not only feel like we are struggling with the new, but we also feel like we haven't even completely mastered the old.

Not to worry! This is how the human brain works.

The remedy is, "keep on going"!!!

I'm sure that there are things you can do now, that you would've thought to be far outside of your capabilities at some point.

Consider this. There are no "naturals" in anything. Everyone learns the same way. Even those who seem like they are excelling in leaps and bounds when they are a beginner. Sooner or later, they run into a wall and they find themselves struggling to learn something new. OR... They rest on their laurels and don't advance any further.

Ya know... Nobody here knows where I'm at when it comes to MY guitar playing skill, (or lack thereof), and that's because I consider myself a lifelong student. Guitar is my passion, my life's work. I feel all of the things that you do, at times. Just at a different level.

The one thing that you have here, are genuine lessons, devoid of any garbage that you would otherwise have to unlearn. You can take that from someone who has nothing to do with this site. In fact, I don't think they even like me at all. LMAO

Just stay in the game, my friend. And play, play, play!!!

Kenny

cosmicmechanic

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi Willem,

Your comment makes me get kinda existential. I understand that we get frustrated in a lot of ways about "learning". Over the years, I have studied and worked hard in fields in which technology can make hard-won "knowledge" become practically irrelevant.

For example, a century ago I studied in commercial art, spending long nights practicing drawing hundreds of perfectly identical parallel lines on an illustration board using a primitive ink pen ... that was how the originals for printed forms were set up. One slight irregularity in a line, and start a new board. Today, click your mouse a bit and you've got all the straight lines you want.

Since then I've studied and worked in Information Technologies (programming, computers) ... same story, even faster changes. It can be a full time occupation just staying on top of the newer ways of doing what you are actually doing at present. Unless you keep studying, all of a sudden you may not "know" much anymore.

Seems that we all have to jump through hoops to earn a living, and a lot of the knowledge for that is ephemeral.

That was the "downer", now here is the "upper" (I hope):

Learning guitar, I don't think anybody is going to say that the chord you play today isn't done that way tomorrow, or that your guitar should have 8 strings tomorrow.

I find that very motivating ... even if music is intangible, it is based on real, durable knowledge.
So, whatever I learn about music will be true at least until my own personal contract with this planet expires.

Of course, if you don't use it ... you lose it. But it is actually great good fortune to have all these possible techniques that are useful, like ... FOREVER !

That is, unless music becomes the work of robots and computers (?) ...

willem

Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:16 am

Oke,,thanks for the pep talks and explains how the brain works,,i think i return with my two feets on the ground and have patiens and make the example with my tomato's,,you have to water them to let it grow and have some harvest,,thanks again.. Image

Yamaha48

Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:33 pm

Hey hello Willem my dutch friend.
Let your head not hang down.
I know you can do it.
You know im workin on Blackbird.
Today with the metronome going better.
Im lookin by Neils explenation for the part by the 12 fret.
You know??with the slide up.
Manny days im surching for.
Come on my friend,let your head not hanging down.
This is a big fammely to help.

Cheers my friend...........

sws626

Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi Willem,

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I've also found myself feeling this way. Maybe it helps to share? What are you actually working on now? What parts of that are giving you trouble? What draws you to a new song?

I think Michele made a great suggestion. The bar has been set so high recently with so many polished performances, that I've come to miss the "learning" videos where we get a real look inside what it's like to get to that point. I'd love to see what you are working on and I'm sure there are a lot of others who would learn from the experience and have suggestions that could help you push on through.

-Stuart

suziko

Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Willem,

It was actually really comforting to read that I'm not alone in feeling this way. There are days when I think to myself, "Why am I even bothering?" Days when I feel like the more I practice, the worse I get. But as a good, wonderful friend of mine recently said, "In all of history, there's never been an example of practicing actually making a person worse at something." :) So I just keep plugging away and I hope that eventually I'll get to where I want to be. And I know that you will too. One thing I've always really appreciated about you is your enthusiasm and up-beat attitude. I think that kind of thing will get you very far in the long run.

Suzi

michelew

Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:34 pm

I had a day like that yesterday. I was just in the wrong head space.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic