Alaskan Wolf

sbutler

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:47 pm

It sure is handy to carry my little Kodak zi8 everywhere I go. Today after getting off work and making the hour long drive back to the valley where I live, I spotted a wolf, trotting along an entrance ramp to the highway I was on. Wolves in Alaska are quite common, but they do a really good job of staying out of sight. There are two known packs within a few miles of Anchorage, which is the largest city in the State. Sadly, a lot of hikers watch helplessly while wolves spring out of the bush and snatch their dogs.

Anyway, I've live here 12 years now, and although wolves are everywhere, I see their tracks constantly while flying, I've only seen one wolf and that was in Denali National park. At least until today. There I was, driving my little Chevy down the highway, listening to Don Henley on the stereo, when there he was.

The footage is shakey as I was trying to zoom in and drive backwards against traffic at the same time. But at least I got a few seconds.

Scott

michelew

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Nice catch. Good thing you threw him back.

millponddave

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:01 pm

Scott, How cool to be able to see the amount of wildlife that you get to see up there. It is sad to think that here in the lower forty-eight I understand that these magnificent animals are about to be taken off the endangered species list. Wolves were all but wiped out in times past and are certainly deserving of continued protection.

Dave

sbutler

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:08 pm

michelew wrote:
Nice catch. Good thing you threw him back.
Yeah Michelle, he may have been more than I really wanted in my little car. Although, we have places here were only 8 out of 100 moose calfs born in the spring, will ever make it to the end of the year because of wolves.

I would much rather eat moose!

michelew

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:32 pm

Arrr... yes I remember,... moose burgers, Bolognase, chilli. As you know, I'm partial to the chocolate variety myself.

pbraun

Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:16 am

Wow, that's exciting!!

But those hikers, don't they know that there are wolves around who might snatch their dogs? :(

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:16 am

Thanks for sharing Scott. If a wolf turns up in the Swiss alps, its only a matter of days or weeks until some hunter will illegally pick him off. Current population is zero, I believe. Sad.

sbutler

Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:02 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Wow, that's exciting!!

But those hikers, don't they know that there are wolves around who might snatch their dogs? :(
Vanessa, Anchorage has a population of somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 to 40 wolves, around 65 Alaska Brown Bears (grizzlys) , at least a 100 black bears, and maybe as many as 250 moose. All within the Municipality of Anchorage. Its pretty well documented these wild animals are close by, and if the people that hike on the trails, don't take some precautions, they are really foolish.

About half the grizzlys in Anchorage, have tracking collars on, and the biologist can track their movements. I find it amazing that one of the biggest Griz they have ever collared in Anchorage, lives within a quarter mile of a major residential area, and nobody EVER sees him.

Scott

sbutler

Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:04 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Thanks for sharing Scott. If a wolf turns up in the Swiss alps, its only a matter of days or weeks until some hunter will illegally pick him off. Current population is zero, I believe. Sad.
Chris, they should stock up with Wolves from here. There are more than enough to go around here. Too many actually.

scott

sbutler

Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:20 am

sbutler wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:
Wow, that's exciting!!

Vanessa, Anchorage has a population of somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 to 40 wolves, around 65 Alaska Brown Bears (grizzlys) , at least a 100 black bears, and maybe as many as 250 moose. All within the Municipality of Anchorage. Its pretty well documented these wild animals are close by, and if the people that hike on the trails, don't take some precautions, they are really foolish.

About half the grizzlys in Anchorage, have tracking collars on, and the biologist can track their movements. I find it amazing that one of the biggest Griz they have ever collared in Anchorage, lives within a quarter mile of a major residential area, and nobody EVER sees him.

Scott
Last year a two wolves snatched a young woman school teacher while jogging.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic