HOW cool is the open G tuning??

willem

Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:21 am

Maybe for me a chance to play like Keith Richard..no stretches..

RicksPick

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:56 pm

Not something I have tried
Does sound good to my ear though
If there was an easy song to get started on then maybe I'd give it a go

RicksPick

beaker

Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:44 pm

Yeah, Open G is a ton of fun. Try Brown Sugar. It is really cool.

lueders

Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:21 pm

Yeah,WillemI like that tuning based on what limited experience I have with it.
I definitely wanna sit down and make myself learn Honky-Tonk Women one of these days...absolutely love that song.
Some of those bends are wicked- hard on an acoustic though.

P.S. How are things going for you, sir? Better...I hope.

Chasplaya

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:50 am

This is in Open G and its quite easy but sounds great. I have this in PDF or GP6 if interested.

willem

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:31 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
This is in Open G and its quite easy but sounds great. I have this in PDF or GP6 if interested.

Thank you Chas,,and did you see what he did with one finger and a view more...thanks for offering the tab,,but i think i try first some stones grips and don't want to distracked my brain,,i call you...

RicksPick

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Thanks Chas, taking you up on the offer.
Got to jump in sometime eh?
p.m sent,
Advice on tuning needed too

RicksPick

Hydroman52

Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Reading - Life by Keith Richards

A while ago, I heard an interview of Keith Richards by Terri Gross on National Public Radio (listen to it here: http://www.wbur.org/npr/132286240/the-b ... h-richards ). This piqued my interest in his book Life that was released last October. Last week, I checked the book out from the library, and have been enthralled with it ever since. It’s a little bit of a tough read at first, getting the rhythm of the book and figuring out some of the slang terms, but, after a number of pages, it becomes easier.

Right now, I am about half way through it where he is talking about his discovery of Open G tuning and how it changed his playing. I would highly recommend listening to the interview, and, if you are a reader, checking out the book. I think many on this site would find something interesting even if you don’t care for the Rolling Stones music. But especially if you are interested in blues. I would guess, a number of people here have already read the book.

On the Open G stuff, it's lots of fun, but you have to relearn patterns from standard tuning. Your basic major chords are easier, because they are straight barres, but you really have to think to do any others. Also, you have to relearn most of your scale patterns and, consequently, solos. Still, I think it is worth the time and I have at least one guitar tuned specifically to Open G. Now I am seeing that Open E is also a popular blues tuning. I see from one explanation is that Open G is a little gloomier and is used more for Chicago style blues while Open E is brighter and edgier and may be more suited to Delta style blues. One thing about Open E is that you tune some strings up from standard tuning and it might not be too healthy for the guitar. A person is maybe better off tuning the other strings down and capoing up. Just a thought.

Hydroman52

dennisg

Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Hydro,

I'm glad you put that caveat at the end of your open-E description. I'd never tune a guitar to open E because it puts humongous string tension on the neck and bridge. I've been working on "She talks to angels," a song that's played in open E. I'm tuned to open D, which works out just fine, and is even easier for me to sing to.

willem

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:57 am

Hydroman52 wrote:
Reading - Life by Keith Richards

A while ago, I heard an interview of Keith Richards by Terri Gross on National Public Radio (listen to it here: http://www.wbur.org/npr/132286240/the-b ... h-richards ). This piqued my interest in his book Life that was released last October. Last week, I checked the book out from the library, and have been enthralled with it ever since. It’s a little bit of a tough read at first, getting the rhythm of the book and figuring out some of the slang terms, but, after a number of pages, it becomes easier.

Right now, I am about half way through it where he is talking about his discovery of Open G tuning and how it changed his playing. I would highly recommend listening to the interview, and, if you are a reader, checking out the book. I think many on this site would find something interesting even if you don’t care for the Rolling Stones music. But especially if you are interested in blues. I would guess, a number of people here have already read the book.

On the Open G stuff, it's lots of fun, but you have to relearn patterns from standard tuning. Your basic major chords are easier, because they are straight barres, but you really have to think to do any others. Also, you have to relearn most of your scale patterns and, consequently, solos. Still, I think it is worth the time and I have at least one guitar tuned specifically to Open G. Now I am seeing that Open E is also a popular blues tuning. I see from one explanation is that Open G is a little gloomier and is used more for Chicago style blues while Open E is brighter and edgier and may be more suited to Delta style blues. One thing about Open E is that you tune some strings up from standard tuning and it might not be too healthy for the guitar. A person is maybe better off tuning the other strings down and capoing up. Just a thought.

Hydroman52
Thanks Hydro,,i keep the book in mind and go and listen to the interview,,,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic