Bite me!!! Woof ;)

suziko

Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:28 pm

Yeah, but I think the idea of a lamb flavored cookie seemed repugnant to Em. Cookies are meant to be sweet- not meaty!

By the way, your new user pic is so cute. I'm assuming it's you, but who with? And if one is you- when from? I can't tell in the small photo!

Suzi

michelew

Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:43 pm

Yep I have to agree with Em on that one. I know it's strange ... and they are probably yummy....probably.

Thanks Sue. It's from about a million years ago (I'm probably about 24) - I should have been wearing fur and chasing mammoth. And it's the sweetest man in my life (my brother), who's a very doggie person. You can't really tell in this picture because of the angle that his face is taken at, but if you saw us together you'd see the strong resemblance.

I've sent him these pictures too (of the store) and while he hates leaving the paradise where he lives to come to Sydney, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the trip just to spoil the pooches in his life who have him wrapped around their little paws. He's one of them, Georgie.

suziko

Sun May 01, 2011 6:44 am

There's DEFIITELY a strong resemblence, and my first guess was your brother. Just thought I'd ask to find out for sure!

That's a sweet looking dog. Is he pit bull or something of that sort?

heatndude

Sun May 01, 2011 11:16 am

Most dogs I know will eat anything !

My dog has it so ruff that we can't eat ice cream without having some himself.

Yes they make ice cream for dogs, meat, peanut butter and mint flavored YUMMY

He also like to catch chipmunks and rabbits in my yard then bring them in the house to share with the rest of us !

We do have a gourmet dog food store near by with lots of good looking food for dogs I wish they would make some of this stuff for us two legged creatures.

Mark

michelew

Sun May 01, 2011 4:09 pm

suziko wrote:
There's DEFIITELY a strong resemblence, and my first guess was your brother. Just thought I'd ask to find out for sure!

That's a sweet looking dog. Is he pit bull or something of that sort?
She ia a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Really sweet and gentle, a big sook and a people dog; loves being around people like Staffis do.

michelew

Sun May 01, 2011 4:12 pm

heatndude wrote:
Most dogs I know will eat anything !

My dog has it so ruff that we can't eat ice cream without having some himself.

Yes they make ice cream for dogs, meat, peanut butter and mint flavored YUMMY

He also like to catch chipmunks and rabbits in my yard then bring them in the house to share with the rest of us !

We do have a gourmet dog food store near by with lots of good looking food for dogs I wish they would make some of this stuff for us two legged creatures.

Mark
Icrecream for dogs!! Haha Mark you atke the cake - make that dessert! I guess we know who the boss is in your house.

cosmicmechanic

Sun May 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Michele, a couple years ago I saw a serious TV report documenting the habits of a middle-aged bachelor who ran a natural food store and was a strict vegetarian.

He had always fed his 2 large dogs the same type of food vegetarian humans would eat.
The dogs were about 22 and 24 years old respectively and were considered to be in physical health equivalent to about 10 year old dogs.

The report showed the owner letting his dogs choose between a raw steak and a carrot, and the carrot won out.

They also showed him filling the dogs' bowls with dollops of cottage cheese, handfuls of grapes, raisins ... etc.

Then I looked at the calendar and noticed it was the time of month when many people's welfare checks have run out and the refrigerator is empty until the next check.

Not a good time to air such a show .... (things that make you go "hmmm").

michelew

Mon May 02, 2011 3:31 am

Pierre,

I think I'm missing something. It's generally cheaper to eat vego food. So ... Is it the fact that he was feeding the dogs food that people could eat or.... Hmmmm... Yep. I'm not sure why it was a bad thing to show at that time.

Interesting though.

Ta

M.

cosmicmechanic

Mon May 02, 2011 1:16 pm

michelew wrote:
Pierre,

I think I'm missing something. It's generally cheaper to eat vego food. So ... Is it the fact that he was feeding the dogs food that people could eat or.... Hmmmm... Yep. I'm not sure why it was a bad thing to show at that time.

Interesting though.

Ta

M.
The fancy dogfood made from human food (not byproducts, or roadkill) reminded me of the TV broadcast I mentioned, which inspired me to "riff" on the subject ... not meaning to prove a point, really.

I was surprised at the effects of a veggie diet on these dogs, this being more tangible on an animal that has a relatively short lifespan.

I can add as clarification that vegetarianism is fine with me, and I don't imagine that what we feed our pets at home is causing a shortage of food for humans.

I still have mixed feelings about showing dogs chowing down on a mountain of human food on TV at what can be a rough time of the month for some people watching.

Now I might have bitten off more than I can chew :P because I hesitate to continue into musings on the appropriate use of the food we grow, which could get heavy and would clearly be highjacking this cute thread.

That was "the dogfood riff". TAAA DAAA ! Please don't throw any vegetables!

[Edit]
I found the video of the show on YouTube ... the owner prepares food multiple times throughout, the scene I remembered most is at about the 2min mark.
Turns out that there are three dogs, aged 15, 16 and 20 years old, the eldest considered by the veterinarian to have the physical profile of a 4 or 5 year old.

Pierre

michelew

Wed May 04, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks Pierre. That sure is a lot of food.

I get where you're coming from now.

M.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic