TEMPORARY INSANITY AND OTHER PASS-TIMES

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 09, 2011 8:33 am

I could have titled this thread John Denver 1 : Rest of the World 0 for as far as I know, no one has been able to cover The Eagle and The Hawk at anywhere near the same level as he has played it live hundreds of times (judging by a quick review of Youtube). Well, I know that now. I felt we should have a Busking John Denver thread going by now. Laughably, I felt inspired to have a go over the weekend and actually recorded and videoed a version twice. And each time, after several hours of work, I deleted the recordings as I just couldn't reconcile my version with his. Now I think I must have been insane to even have tried. But I'd been toying with it and when Dennis mentioned Eagles over head in Seattle and with me having Hawks overhead here on a lovely sunny Friday, I thought I'd go for it. I even found myself with 12 string in hand and tuned as JD had it tuned: in dropped D and down two half steps (I think). So the guitar was sounding pretty good but I'd be darned if I could get close enough to his fabulous strumming... man he really rocks it out! Well, I did get something recorded which seemed close... but then you have to sing the damn thing! No problem an octave lower but it just doesn't have the same energy like that. Ok, let's go for it in the original key.... hmmm, I can just about reach all the notes, ok let's record. Great. Nice video outside with village view. Mix it. Ok, let's play it back.... Uh?! That's when I realised I must have been suffering some sort of temporary insanity to even go near it! I just didn't get anywhere near the energy and feel of the original and realise I never will... so what was I thinking?!! Yes I did destroy the evidence so it can't come back to haunt me. All I have to offer here is JD himself, live 12 string in hand showing how it should be done. It's not until you go to all this trouble that you really appreciate what an artist has accomplished in a song. My hat is well and truly off to John Denver!

suziko

Mon May 09, 2011 9:07 am

What a great video, Chris!! I've always loved that song and this version is particularly powerful. What a voice he had!! As I mentioned recently in the "Rock n Roll heaven" thread, JD's death really saddened me and I still think he left us way too soon. And you're right- the guitar playing in this is great. I've only ever heard this song backed by other instruments (strings) and seeing this makes me realize that it needs nothing else. Just that voice and that guitar. Wow!

I still would have liked to have seen your version and I hope you won't entirely give up on it.

Suzi

Music Junkie

Mon May 09, 2011 9:07 am

Chris:

I am sure you are being a bit hard on yourself. Although it would be difficult to capture the energy in THAT performance, the song would probably turn out just fine if you made it your own. Your clips have always proved solid.... :)

Last during practice I worked on "Rocky Mountain High" and "This old Guitar". Two tunes that have been in the works for a while now. I have always enjoyed JD's work, and have a few more of his tunes that I would like to add in the mix one of these days.... B)

J

MarkM

Mon May 09, 2011 9:17 am

Chris,

You just described my situation with John Denver's Rocky Mountain High to a T. It's as if you could read my mind. I can play the song just fine. Nice fills....even up to the "live" tempo but every time I play it back with or without vocals I'm left wanting. Don't be too hard on yourself. John Denver was truly a one of a kind. His playing is just so fluid, crisp, and full of warmth as his singing is as smooth as butter. I'm not sure what is missing. If you notice on his live recordings he has another guitarist accompanying him which adds another layer of sweet playing. What I have found in trying to do his songs is take it in a completely different direction vocally. There is no &$*#*&% way I am ever going to sound like him so I have to find the right key for me and then try and muddle through it. You on the other hand have a fantastc voice so it shouldn't be nearly has hard to find your voice on his songs. Also its tough to get the energy that he brings to the songs. Especially his live stuff as he really takes his performance to the next level as he feeds off the crowd. Although I really enjoy his studio stuff, its his live performances that really get me. Keep on trying with this song Chris as I would love to see/hear YOUR version. I'm sure it will be great.

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 09, 2011 9:40 am

Hi Suzi, Jason and Mark! I couldn't agree with you more. Great loss too soon of that voice and song writing talent. I just hadn't realised that he could really play his guitar so well too. Yes he was unique and I am in awe of people who are able to get out there in their lives and not hold back on what they have inside. I look at JD, Gordon Lightfoot, Justin Hayward and Dan Fogelberg see lives so well lived and a great feeling of gratitude for their work and inspiration. It's when we try to reproduce what they have done that we feel at a much deeper level just how great their work is, as sense of deep appreciation. I was struck too Suzi by JD's live version, stripped of orchestra, being much more powerful than the studio version. Mark, do you think there's a second guitar in the wings on this one? I almost can't believe it's just him... but I can't hear a second guitar on this one. Incidentally, I tried to record my version with two guitars but it gets messy fast... much better just to do it live and improvise the beat of it. I couldn't double up the guitars well enough... they get out of sync fast.

I was very close to posting but had problems with my video mixing which took so much time that I began to hear the short-comings too clearly. So I pulled the plug. I will try one more time for a live version with no mixing, that may well be the best bet. This song still leaves me inspired ... but also a bit too clear on the deficiencies I bring to it!

Rocky Mountain High is one I'd love to see posted by someone Mark and MJ... feel the call? If I'm playing for folks, I always play Country Roads and it always works a treat. Calypso is another I'd like to see posted as well as Annie's Song. I hope someone takes up the call. I agree, it's his live energy which seems to bring so much more to his songs. if you check out some early BBC clips of Cat Stevens on YT, you'll see the exact same quality. Timeless.

Chasplaya

Mon May 09, 2011 2:04 pm

Oh c'mon Chris its only 2 minutes of temporary insanity I know you can do that! ;)

tovo

Mon May 09, 2011 2:54 pm

Where I come from it's a little uncool to admit you like John Denver....but I do. I liked the vibe he had with his audience and he was a great entertainer. I'm sure you can step up and do a great job Chris, you have all the tools. Look forward to seeing it when you get a version you are happy with.

michelew

Mon May 09, 2011 4:44 pm

Yep I'm uncool too.

Chris you just gotta record the Chris version. I'm sure we'll all adore it with your smooth playing and fabulous voice.

Holding my breath....

M.

Lavallee

Mon May 09, 2011 5:12 pm

Chris, I am not a John Denver fan, but this song has certainly a lot of energy. I do not think a performance have identical to be great as you know. I am sure your version would be excellent as you always put your heart in your playing as JD does. I am looking forward to see your video.

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 09, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Chas, Shell, Tony and Marc. I played it a couple of times today and it sounded ok .... it's when it gets played back to me that I start to cringe a bit. I think its one I could get away with live but not want to listen to a recording of.... the jury is still out deliberating!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic