Sexiest Song of All Time

neverfoundthetime

Tue May 10, 2011 12:07 pm

...and there's always Brian Ferry and the entire AVALON album which must have seen some serious action in the late 70's early 80's...

...and maybe I just can't separate the girl from the song (,-)) Shania Twain, Your're Still The One

suziko

Tue May 10, 2011 12:44 pm

My first feeling is that the girls have it easier here as the whole point of Rock 'n' Roll and pop music is for guys to get girls into bed! And when it comes to atmosphere, the guys are more focussed on what's going to "work" rather than what's really a sexy sounding tune .

I was preparing to take you to task for this, but then the more I thought about it, the harder of a time I was having coming up with songs I find sexy that are sung by women!! Plenty of great love songs, or heartrending songs, but sexy.... not so easy for me. Though I know there must be plenty out there and I'd love to hear other people's opinions on that (clearly some of the guys find Tori's songs sexy). But I've always found the song Possession by Sarah MacLachlan quite sexy (though I don't like this video!!):

Or how about Sophie B. Hawkins's "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover:"

sws626

Tue May 10, 2011 12:59 pm

suziko wrote:
My first feeling is that the girls have it easier here as the whole point of Rock 'n' Roll and pop music is for guys to get girls into bed! And when it comes to atmosphere, the guys are more focussed on what's going to "work" rather than what's really a sexy sounding tune .

I was preparing to take you to task for this, but then the more I thought about it, the harder of a time I was having coming up with songs I find sexy that are sung by women!! Plenty of great love songs, or heartrending songs, but sexy.... not so easy for me. Though I know there must be plenty out there and I'd love to hear other people's opinions on that (clearly some of the guys find Tori's songs sexy). But I've always found the song Possession by Sarah MacLachlan quite sexy (though I don't like this video!!):
I'd vote for this Sarah MacLachlan song as well -- though I haven't ever seen a video of it and decided not to spoil it by watching the one you posted.

On the whole, I wouldn't really agree with Chris' observation. I wouldn't limit what I find sexy to songs sung by women, but -- as long as we're on that track -- aside from Tori and Sarah, I'd definitely rate a lot of Annie Lennox, Jann Arden, and, of course, Janis Joplin.

-Stuart

Chasplaya

Tue May 10, 2011 1:30 pm

Robert Palmer has to be in the mix somewhere

AndyT

Tue May 10, 2011 3:36 pm

Shania. Oh yeah. My wife loves that song as it reminds her of what we went thru to be together. So I learned how to play it. But she has one that I like far better. Not just the song either, I love her outfit in this vid.
Chris, I know what you mean. Its hard to separate the girl from the song! LOL Lets face it, guys are visual critters.

tovo

Tue May 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Nice thread Suzi. Really difficult to answer as well. I will inject some Australian flavour. This is a pretty sexy tune in my humble opinion. He was a great loss:

neverfoundthetime

Tue May 10, 2011 7:46 pm

Nice one Tony, INXS were PDG and that's a cool song... and some nice scenes of that famous Aussie city, Prag :-). Now Prag does bring back some romantic memories for me!

Tori Amos gets my vote too, pretty yummy but again I keep getting the girl confused with the tune!

Suzi, glad you had a good think before you took meto task there ;-) ... but you can take me to task any time, I'm game! It was Christopher Hitchens who outrageously argued that women aren't as funny as men because they just don't have to be, we love them any way! Men on the other hand have to be very witty, clever, write, play and/or sing great love songs or be filthy rich to get women interested in them as they are such ugly toads otherwise. The Beatles famously said the main point of becoming famous for them was to pull the girls. Such are the laws of nature. Personally, I do find witty girls (like Tina Fey ) really attractive ... but there again she is attractive so maybe Andy's right. And, That Don't Impress Me Much is pretty damn sexy and witty too... but mainly because it's Shania singing it! Some how, for me it pretty much does have to be a woman singing the song for me to feel it's sexy.

suziko

Tue May 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Suzi, glad you had a good think before you took meto task there ... but you can take me to task any time, I'm game! I was Christopher Hitchens who outrageously argued that women aren't as funny as men because they just don't have to be, we love them any way!

Hmmm.... once again, I'm not sure I agree with you, Chris! In my experience, men take a shot gun approach to humor. They spray lots of jokes and some hit the mark but many don't. Women's humor is a bit more like a high precision sniper rifle. Fewer jokes, but the ones we make actually hit the target! Perhaps that's no coincidence, when you consider our biologies!

Suzi

neverfoundthetime

Tue May 10, 2011 8:27 pm

Even I don't agree with me on this one!
But Hitch does a devilish job on putting his wicked point!
;-)

sws626

Wed May 11, 2011 3:04 am

I don't want to hijack the thread, but Suzi started us down this path, so...

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Even I don't agree with me on this one!
But Hitch does a devilish job on putting his wicked point!
;-)
Vanity Fair makes the full text of Hitchens' 2007 article freely available on its website. It's worth having a look. Like just about everything else he's ever said or written, I'm sure Hitchens would be deeply hurt to discover that anyone actually agreed with him:

Why Women Aren't Funny

Tina Fey had a very funny response in the March 14 issue of The New Yorker a -- not really a response, but on the same topic and funny enough to prove Hitchens wrong. The New Yorker doesn't make its content freely available, but has published an abstract (which, unfortunately, doesn't contain any of the good bits about male SNL writers keeping jars of urine in their office, so perhaps proves that magazine editors are not very funny):

What separates the women from the men

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic