Dream BIG....Who would you jam with?

lueders

Tue May 10, 2011 3:12 pm

HYPOTHETICAL: You have been a T.G. member for over five years. By this time you can play every song in the Target program with: flair, fluidly, and panache. (Even though, by this time, there over 3000 songs in the Target program, lol!) You start a band, put out a couple CDs, and a few big labels start to take notice. You are suddenly talked about in guitar circles as an innovative virtuoso. lol!

Your record label has enough clout that you have the opportunity to jam/collaborate/tour with any artist(s) of your choosing. Who would it be? And why?

suziko

Tue May 10, 2011 3:57 pm

The question about who would you jam with has been asked in the past, and I've always said, "Noone! I'd be too nervous to have fun!" But with all the conditions you added, Cori, you've taken away that excuse of mine. So! Hmm.... well, at the risk of sounding not too creative, I guess I'll go with Colin Meloy from The Decemberists. He's a good guitarist and whenever I've watched him playing live he looks like he's having a great time. He also seems smart, articulate, and somewhat self-deprecating, so hanging out with him between songs would also be interesting.

Suzi

tovo

Tue May 10, 2011 3:58 pm

I would actually like to play with John Mayer. I have seen him play with Clapton and he's an awesome guitarist at the top of his game. He would probably be happy with that as I sure wouldn't divert female attention from him!

sws626

Tue May 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Well, Cori, if we're imagining that I can improve that much in five years, I must also be able to raise the dead. So I'd want to jam with Lightnin' Hopkins.

-Stuart

lueders

Tue May 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Crud, I'm realizing now that this question has been posed in the past...sorry folks.
(Best I could do, Tony. Just don't have the knack for coming up with the threads like you, T.)

Suzi- Good choice! It would be interesting to see his/ the band's) creative songwriting process up close.
b.t.w. Those are some serious underrated & under-valued character traits you mentioned. (Sound's like he's an
old-soul, kindred-spirit type.) In other words, sounds like a decent human being with something to say.

Tony-Mayer, hmmm. Well he definitely has the chops.

Stuart-Lighting Hopkins...wow that is quite a choice. Does his more accessible style appeal to you more than some of
his contemporaries? I think it is a great choice, but I am guessing if you asked most guitarists their favorite
blues guitarist you would get a lot more Robert Johnson's than Hound-dog Taylor or Lightning Hopkins.
(And that is precisely why I like your answer so much.)

Music Junkie

Tue May 10, 2011 6:23 pm

My first choice would probably be Jackson Browne (as long as I did not have to talk politics with him.... :woohoo: ). Another artist who I admire very much is Neal Schon. Both are very talented and would be a blast to jam with.

J

Lavallee

Tue May 10, 2011 6:26 pm

HI Cori, My guitar hero is Jimmy Page. To be able to play at his level and not embarrass myself would be definitely a highlight in my life (that would also mean that my guitar playing have improved a million times :laugh: )

Tony, you are funny

I would jam with any of you TG folks, anytime. It is not with Jimmy Page, but it is with my real guitar playing

Marc

suziko

Tue May 10, 2011 6:59 pm

I would jam with any of you TG folks, anytime. It is not with Jimmy Page, but it is with my real guitar playing

I agree, Marc. I've never been someone who's all that interested in meeting famous people, and after chatting and getting to know so many people here for almost 2 years, I'm far more curious about many of you than I am anyone famous. That's not to say that it's not a fun question to contemplate!

Cori- Don't worry about the repetition. The best questions are worth re-asking. And I liked the conditions you put on this scenario. By the way, you haven't named who YOU would want to jam with!

Suzi

lueders

Tue May 10, 2011 7:37 pm

I agree, Marc. I've never been someone who's all that interested in meeting famous people, and after chatting and getting to know so many people here for almost 2 years, I'm far more curious about many of you than I am anyone famous. That's not to say that it's not a fun question to contemplate!

Cori- Don't worry about the repetition. The best questions are worth re-asking. And I liked the conditions you put on this scenario. By the way, you haven't named who YOU would want to jam with!

Suzi & Marc- Yeah, I know you mean about that. (I think I got Vanessa conned into helping me out on an original tune one of these days...and I been pretty excited about that!) And, Wouldn't it be the ULTIMATE COOL to get good enough to compose collaboratively with Neil, someday? I think that would be about as cool as anything I can think of.

Also, this is a Captain Obvious statement but I just want to throw in the fact that mass record sales and stuff like that, doesn't automatically, equal the best guitarist/songwriter...lets face it there is a lot of crap-ola out there. lol!

Okay, Suzi...I am gonna say: 1.) Jack White 2.) Frank Black 3.) GREG BROWN
(What can I say I really feelin' the neutrals and earth tones today...)

lueders

Tue May 10, 2011 9:02 pm

Jason- You really dig Jackson Browne don't ya? Pretty hard to argue with his catalog.
N. Schon aint too shabby either. He has such a knack for writing memorable guitar parts.

Marc- Jimmy Page, yeah me too!!!! Sure maybe he is something of a rip off artist. But, if I had to pick between Page,
Clapton, and Hendrix. I would choose Page, HANDS DOWN!
(I might be tempted to pick Knopfler ahead of Page, though...I dunno that IS a tough-ie!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic