Paul Simon freaks out a member of his audience

dennisg

Fri May 13, 2011 4:01 pm

At a recent Paul Simon concert, a young woman yelled out "Play 'Duncan' ...I learned to play the guitar from that song!" What happened next is the answer to every amateur guitarist's dreams.

suziko

Fri May 13, 2011 4:14 pm

What happened next is the answer to every amateur guitarist's dreams. Or nightmare!! Oy vey, no thank you!!

Still, that was a very charming video and probably one of the best night's of that woman's life.

tovo

Fri May 13, 2011 4:16 pm

Great video Den. What I think is a real shame is that the cynic in me thinks it is a set-up. I'd be very glad to learn otherwise because it represented a nice moment.

I guess the reason for cynicism is that I'm thinking it's real lucky she could play the tune. The moment would have fallen pretty flat if she got up there and couldn't play for nuts.

I'm hoping there is evidence that it was a genuine moment. I guess sometimes you gotta have faith.

beaker

Fri May 13, 2011 4:19 pm

That was pretty neat. She sure was excited at the end. I don't think a person can get more excited than that! I gotta admit though, I was a bit disappointed that Paul Simon did not sing a verse or play along with her. Beaker.

dennisg

Fri May 13, 2011 4:22 pm

It never occurred to me for a second that the episode was anything other than totally genuine. I'm not sure how Paul Simon could possibly benefit from having the flow of his show interrupted like that, other than to do something sweet for a member of his audience, something that she'll remember for the rest of her life... which almost ended right there on stage.

Craig

Fri May 13, 2011 4:29 pm

Dennis,
Very cool! Thanks for sharing... I guess that will teach me to be careful what I yell out at concerts! :laugh:

Craig

sbutler

Fri May 13, 2011 4:32 pm

I think my composure would go right out the window if that happened too me.

What a thrill that must have been, and what a memory she'll have forever.

tovo

Fri May 13, 2011 4:41 pm

dennisg wrote:
It never occurred to me for a second that the episode was anything other than totally genuine. I'm not sure how Paul Simon could possibly benefit from having the flow of his show interrupted like that, other than to do something sweet for a member of his audience, something that she'll remember for the rest of her life... which almost ended right there on stage.
I'm sure you're right Den. I guess I've seen artists pull "plants" from the audience a few times. Cindy went to a Keith Urban concert just the other night. He was asked by a cute kid in the audience to sign his little guitar. He pulled the kid up and played a tune with him. it was so obviously set up it was cheesy and lame. This video doesn't look set up. I'm not trying to be a killjoy, although I guess I'm doing a good job.

michelew

Fri May 13, 2011 5:14 pm

It looked real to me.

Dennis, that was AMAZINGLY moving. Thank you ... I laughed. I cried.

What a gutsy woman. What a mix of feelings she was obviously experiencing.

I too was waiting for Paul Simon to accompany her in some way. But, I'm sure it was no less of a thrill for her n

THanks for posting this.

Shel

coomba

Fri May 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Dennis
Thanks for putting that up ,its Saturday morning here in Oz and when I watched this I could not get the smile of my ugly face, great way to start the day.
Oh and Tony ,come on mate next you'll be telling me people mime at concerts :unsure:
Cheers
Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic