A little night music

Hydroman52

Sat May 14, 2011 10:51 am

Inspired by Willem’s, Chris’, and others threads of videos and sounds of their neighborhoods, I’m posting this for you to ponder.

It is a video of a typical spring night in my back yard. I’ll let you figure it out

For those of you who are afraid of the dark, you are forewarned that there is a lot of it here in graphic detail, so you may need to occasionally turn away. Headphones are recommended for the full effect!

[video][/video]

Hydroman52

daryl

Sat May 14, 2011 11:04 am

Maybe you should write some music to go with the sounds? Could be interesting......

Craig

Sat May 14, 2011 11:12 am

Hydro,
Wow, there's a lot of stuff going on out there! I listened closely but still couldn't hear the traffic or sirens! :laugh:
Thanks for sharing that. It sounds like an awesome place to be at night!
Craig

neverfoundthetime

Sat May 14, 2011 12:59 pm

Sounds like a menagerie!

Chasplaya

Sat May 14, 2011 2:45 pm

I think I'll report you to the Broadcast commision that should have come with a Mature audience rating due to the graphic nature of the dark included on that vid! I hope your house has good soundproofing thats a lot of noise to contend with when trying to sleep.

tovo

Sat May 14, 2011 3:12 pm

So Hydro....do you have a swimming pool or a stream in your backyard? A dog jumps in water and shakes off I'm sure so I'm very curious.

michelew

Sat May 14, 2011 11:08 pm

That was great. It made me smile and mellow.

It sounded like your dog was doing maddies - running around like a crazy thing for no particular reason. Perhaps he was chasing something.

I nearly recorded a similar thing a couple of months ago. I was out I my verandah one evening in the late summer and I could hear frogs singing, cicadas, birds and the bubbling of the water feature that runs through my apartment complex. I was amazed at how peaceful it sounded. I couldn't even hear cars, because my neighbours were all singing so loudly, even though I live in the city (5 minutes from the CBD) and there is normally a constant hum of traffic noise.

Nice.

M.

willem

Sun May 15, 2011 3:00 am

Hydroman52 wrote:
Inspired by Willem’s, Chris’, and others threads of videos and sounds of their neighborhoods, I’m posting this for you to ponder.

It is a video of a typical spring night in my back yard. I’ll let you figure it out

For those of you who are afraid of the dark, you are forewarned that there is a lot of it here in graphic detail, so you may need to occasionally turn away. Headphones are recommended for the full effect!

[video][/video]

Hydroman52

I hope your still there,,there where some chasing noices,,brrrrr thanks for being creative..

I have an idea for filming a drive along the river thats near i live,,it must be a sunny day..

Hydroman52

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:08 am

Michele’s “Night Music” thread caused me to check out the video in this one to compare Sydney frogs to Wisconsin frogs, and I see that I have neglected to respond to the nice people who commented here. My sincere apologies, and here I go; better late than never . . . right?

Daryl, I’ve just started writing a song. If it is ready when the frogs come out this spring, I will play it for my backyard friends. If it doesn’t frighten them, I might post it here.

Craig, Since the gas prices have gone up, a lot less people drive the roads near my place. I like the quiet. Yaaaaaay, high gas prices!

Chris, Don’t know how many of them there are, but there are a number of different ones. I guess that’s a menagerie if ever I’ve heard one.

Chas, I used the darkness to cover up the fact that all the frogs were naked . . . . . . and they had no guitars to cover themselves up like some other recent thread that I vaguely remember here on TG. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Tony, The water body is a pond that I cleaned out many years ago. When I moved here, it was a mud hole that would dry up every year. Quite a nasty place. I had a big sand pit in the back next to it where the county got their sand to spread on the highways in winter for many years. It was like a hot sandy desert void of plants in the summer. So, one day, I decided to rent a drag-line and a pay-loader from a friend of mine. He gave me a crash course on the drag-line (I already knew how to run the pay-loader from some stuff I did when I was still in high school), and proceeded to dig the muck out of the pond and spread it around the sand pit for top soil. It was a true win, win, win, win situation. All kinds of trees and shrubs sprang up from seeds lying dormant in the muck to turn the desert into a forest (win). The frogs got a new home (win). Deer, ducks, raccoons, mink, otter, owls, coyotes and other wild animals stop by all the time now to use it as a watering hole or hunting ground (win). And, of course, all the dogs I’ve had over the years have used it as a cool down spot during their mindless miles of running (win). Oh, did I mention that it makes a nice skating rink in the winter before the snow gets too deep to shovel (bonus win). Sorry for the long answer to the short question, but it is one of the few things that I may have gotten right in my life, and I do like to ramble about it a bit.

Michele, I have nothing more to say to you that I haven’t already said in your Night Music thread (click here for Michele’s thread). HA! Just kidding. Maddies? Never heard of that one before. Very fitting. That dog runs until I’d swear his heart would burst. Then he makes a bee-line for the water, plows in, laps up a bunch, trots out to stand next to me, and shakes off so I can enjoy it too. Why . . . .if it weren’t for him, I might be warm, dry, and miserable all night long. Honestly, sometimes he can be such a knob. Life would be quite boring without him. He does add quite a contrast to an otherwise monotonous evening. I don’t know why the frogs are afraid of him and grow silent whenever he’s near. Maybe he eats them when I’m not around. That would be weird.

Willem, I’m finally getting around to thanking you for putting up your video that helped inspire me to share this one. Sorry for the delay. I would enjoy seeing more of your neighborhood if you feel the urge to film and post another. Learning new things is a weakness of mine.

Thanks everyone for your comments,

Hydroman52

michelew

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:27 am

You know Hydro, I didn't even realise I'd used exactly the same name for my thread as yours until just now. It just felt appropriate. I had been thinking of your thread when I wrote mine, I guess the connection just came through the old memory box. :) oops - still they are connected. I see I was talking about my frogs 9 months ago here. There were not so many critters this time when I finally recorded them. It hasn't been hot enough for the cicadas and crickets to join in and the bats that are normally here have gone to different roosts. They were too damn noisy and fighting all the time anyway, so it is more peaceful without them.

Cool to see yours make a come back.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic