Dr. House & Lady Gaga

neverfoundthetime

Sun May 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Its nice to be pleasantly surprised. There were two surprises tonight.

I wasn't expecting this one. I just caught 30 minutes of Lady Gaga live on the BBC and it was nothing like I'd would have suspected. What was I expecting? Well, I'm not sure, maybe a giant ego, little talent, bad singing, shallow songs and overwhelming ambition ( Madonna like) combined with the personal habits of an Amy Winehouse, maybe. What I saw was something completely different. The lady has real performance talent, can really sing and dance, can play the piano and she did some jazzy, New York bar-room style numbers playing the piano with her high-heel boots at one point. Apparently she has a jazz background. Anyway, I was expecting the simplistic pop songs you hear from her on the radio. Nope. She was really entertaining.

Nr. 2 was not so surprising to me. Switching channels there is Dr. House (Huge Laurie) who is/was actually an English comedian (pre House days) playing blues. And he's pretty good. He was playing some Robert Johnson and George Gershwin and singing with Tom Jones at one point. I knew he could play a decent guitar, and now apparently he's on tour with a band of accomplished blues players.

Surprise, surprise!

suziko

Sun May 15, 2011 8:44 pm

Chris- I've seen Hugh Laurie play piano on a few shows (Fry and Laurie and Jeeves and Wooster) but I didn't realize he played guitar as well. As for Lady Gaga, I know she's not everyone's cup of tea, but I do actually like some of her songs quite a bit, and I respect her for forging her own path.

suzi

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 16, 2011 4:18 am

Hi Suzi, nice to have a private conversation here ;-). I was very surprised at Lady Gaga she seems to have genuine performance ability and talent and is very creative and out there and ...er... ballsy! If I watch Madonna it looks al fake and wannabe and too much ego AND she can't sing. Lady Gaga can sing and play piano and perform. She's an artist looking for a place to happen.

sws626

Mon May 16, 2011 10:32 am

Hi Chris,

I'd seen Laurie pick up his guitar and noodle around a bit on his show and heard that he was touring. Nice to hear that he's actually pretty good.

I can't quite bring myself to look for the hidden talents in Lady Gaga, so will have to wait for a similar moment when she attacks me by surprise on the television.

-Stuart

haoli25

Mon May 16, 2011 1:32 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Hi Suzi, nice to have a private conversation here ;-). I was very surprised at Lady Gaga she seems to have genuine performance ability and talent and is very creative and out there and ...er... ballsy! If I watch Madonna it looks al fake and wannabe and too much ego AND she can't sing. Lady Gaga can sing and play piano and perform. She's an artist looking for a place to happen.

Still thinks she owes royalties to Alice Cooper.............. :)

Bill

skaladar

Mon May 16, 2011 4:49 pm

I knew Hugh Laurie was a British comedian before he became an American doctor :P and I knew he was musically inclined but I wasn’t aware of how accomplished he is or that he was touring. Interesting!

I watched some of Lady Gaga HBO special last week and I just couldn’t wrap my head around it. I’ll be the first to admit I didn’t give it much of a chance. I suppose my pre disposed opinions about her flamboyant activities led to that. What I did watch of it seemed to be more theatrics than music. Given that and Tony’s recent thread about “What makes a great concert?” I have come to realize that I may have been too quick to judge. I've been blown away by the sheer enormity of some of Pink Floyd’s shows over the years and I loved every minute of it. The difference being I was already a die-hard fan of their music. So for me, the bigger the better. I have to wonder what I would have thought of it had I not been a big PF fan, or for that matter, what I would think of Lady Gaga’s special if I was more exposed to and more a fan of her music? OMG, am I comparing Pink Floyd to Lady Gaga? No, I couldn’t imagine that. But I will be on the lookout for the next time HBO runs Lady Gaga’s special and I’ll try to watch it with a more open mind.

♫ Ken ♫

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 16, 2011 6:29 pm

Hi Stu, Bill and Ken. my closed-mind position LG was that she was just a PR stunt but my daughter listens so thought I'd check it out and what I saw and heard was seriously good and much better than I'd been led to believe. She really can carry a tune and play the piano. Just caught her again on a BEEB chat show. She see herself as a song writer and likes to be different. She has already sol over 65 million albums!!! She is just about the biggest item in show biz on the planet at the moment.

Lavallee

Mon May 16, 2011 6:44 pm

She was also brought to my attention by my daughter. I did not pay too much attention at first but after watching a few videos and live performance, she is very good. Maybe she does lipsynch during the show and could not afford to be caught but she reacts quite amazingly in this clip
Marc

Max

Mon May 16, 2011 7:27 pm

I can understand Lady GaGa not appealing to a large majority of people.

I happen to enjoy the out of the box performance theatre style that she brings.
She is more than adequate as a musician, and she writes her own song. She even wrote songs for other artist before getting her break.
She went to a very highly regarded school for performing arts "New York University's Tisch School of the Arts"

Last week she was a mentor on American Idol, and she was very insightful with her suggestions and comments.
Although there were some amusing moments when she tried to be helpful "Scotty" who's a throw back type country singer.

Max

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic