Twisters in the Midwest

millponddave

Mon May 23, 2011 6:50 pm

The Midwest and South have been HAMMERED by these storms.My thoughts go out to everyone affected. Although these storms and the disasters around the world are sad to see, the bright side is to realize the resiliency and the ability of people everywhere to come together and overcome almost anything. It gives the cynical side of me a little hope for mankind.

Lavallee

Mon May 23, 2011 8:00 pm

This seems like a nightmare. My sympathy to all the people there that have to go through this on a regular basis.

Marc

haoli25

Mon May 23, 2011 8:16 pm

As soon as one band of thunderstorms passes through the Joplin area, another storm system forms to the west of them and moves through the area. Image

sbutler

Mon May 23, 2011 8:52 pm

My Mother is currently in Stockton Missouri. 160 miles north of Joplin. Mom went through this very thing several years ago. Funny how we lived in the "Tornado Alley" all my life, and dodged every storm until I moved to Alaska. Then mom took a direct hit. Believe me folks, you can't imagine what these things do until you've seen a 200 yr old tree with ALL of its bark sucked off, and the tree is several miles from were it grew. People coming out of their basements for a peek, lucky to be alive and the first thing they see is the roof of their house totally gone, the second thing the see is the neighbors horse standing (very much alive) in their living room. These storms are monsters.

Now, back to my Mom. We (my two sisters and I ) have been in the process of moving her from her beloved home, to an assisted living facility closer to both the girls. Mom isn't taking that very well, and this morning when I called to make sure she was ok after that storm, she couldn't even talk to me. She handed the phone to my sister. I guess there is too much happening in her life right now, and the last thing she needed, was something like this.

I flew down the last time, borrowed some tools, and rebuilt her little house. We even found an 18ft ski boat, 12 ft up a tree in her back yard. The owners found it and took it back before I could go sking. I don't think my mom could live through another one of these.

I know exactly how those people in Joplin feel, and I hope they can heal quickly.

Scott

AcousticAl

Mon May 23, 2011 10:32 pm

It took my wife's girlhood home, the hospital where we took her mother and many, many places she knew and loved. She is sure people she knew died or lost their homes. Very sad and depressed!

We're in Oklahoma City and we're under watches as I type and tomorrow is supposed to be bad.

Who scorned Mother Nature anyway. "Hell hath no fury...."

Sam

Lavallee

Mon May 23, 2011 11:55 pm

Sam, I hope that it will turn alright for you and your family.

Marc

AndyT

Tue May 24, 2011 3:06 am

Wow. the things people say.
It's true that the Bible says these kinds of things will happen in the last days, but for some freak preacher to stand up and tell his people that this is because the US has moved toward Islam and away from God.... Well.... Some people need a good slap.

For any of you that have family or loved ones in that area, or anywhere that is being hit badly with any kind of disaster, my prayers go out to you. this kind of thing can really destroy lives, but it does have the good side of bringing us together in brotherhood and unity.

May God's peace rain upon us all, no matter where we live.

thereshopeyet

Tue May 24, 2011 8:12 pm

I have no words to describe the death, devastation and unbelievable destruction of homes in the Oklahoma City area. A new car is literally hanging from what's left of a tree.

It's Joplin, just on a smaller scale.

It missed me by about ten miles.

I'm sure it will be on all the national news broadcasts tomorrow if you care to see.

When will this end?

Sam

lueders

Tue May 24, 2011 8:18 pm

twocat wrote:
I have no words to describe the death, devastation and unbelievable destruction of homes in the Oklahoma City area. A new car is literally hanging from what's left of a tree.

It's Joplin, just on a smaller scale.

It missed me by about ten miles.

I'm sure it will be on all the national news broadcasts tomorrow if you care to see.

When will this end?

Sam
Glad you're okay, Sam. Since Oklahoma is pretty much Tornado-central/alley, do most of you good Sooners have basements/cellars where you are? I hope so.

Music Junkie

Tue May 24, 2011 10:31 pm

Basements are rare here, but some have tornado shelters. They now build them in the driveway of your garage so your car just glides over the door. 'Course you have to back your car out to get in and we actually have baseball to softball size hail here. Literally beats the roofs off houses.

Most folks go to an inside hall and cover themselves with quilts or mattresses. Or get in bathtubs. Tonight a three-year old girl was sucked from her mother's arms in a bathtub and has not been found.

In Joplin, a 6' 4" young man was sucked through a closed sun roof of an SUV and has not been found.

As many times as I've seen this destruction, I am still amazed at the power of a tornado.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic