When is a person considered a guitar player?

AndyT

Tue May 24, 2011 3:27 am

I also wrestled with this question. And then one day, 'POOF' I suddenly realized I was one. LOL

Before I couldn't spell Geetar Playa, Now I are one.

willem

Tue May 24, 2011 3:50 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
TwoCats Wrote:
Along comes a girl while I had the neck in hand and asks, "Do you play?"
mmmmmmm..... and she didn't give you a slap!

Tovo Wrote:
Important thing is keep playing and practicing so that one day you can play WITH her.
mmmmm........... might get a kick where it counts though!!

:laugh:

:blush:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: well you cold have done ''the house of the rising sun'' or ''hallelujah''

willem

Tue May 24, 2011 3:56 am

I learned a neighboor a view pickins,,,some day we walk a cross each other,her daughter was with her and then she said ''this is the guitarplayer'', wish i had'nt say...neeeee(noooo)..

neverfoundthetime

Tue May 24, 2011 6:03 am

Bill took the words right out of my mouth. You are a guitar player from the moment you start. Then there's a long undefined period where you will not consider yourself to be a player. You keep plugging away and then one day you play a song for someone and at some point someone refers to you as someone who plays the guitar. That is probably the moment when you will realise that you are one. So I guess you are a guitar player long before you accept it.

dekotaj

Tue May 24, 2011 10:27 am

Guitar Player???

Damn good question??I am Not a Guitarist!!!!I am a song PLAYER!!!

I hate to even tell this story.But were are all friends here.A couple of years ago I was in Jamaica.Two guys came to the resort and played the guitars.Both were Jamaicans,and played very well.A young man staying at the resort ask to join them so one guy playing handed him hes guitar and this young man started playing Barr chords and the other player filled in some very nice lead parts.And the young man started singing the song La bamba.It sounded great.The young man finished playing and went on hes way.As I set and watched this two guys play the same chords and leads sections for a while longer.The chords were G,D,C,.I asked if I could play them a song.So the same guy handed me hes guitar and I set down to do them a song.But the other guy did not understand that I was going to play them a song.And said to me just play the chords man.So there I set no way to explain to them that I didn't have a clue how to jam with someone.And being a song player and not a guitarist.I started playing G,D,and C.And the lead player started playing hes leads.But something was O so wrong.And just my luck that same young man walked by as i was playing,Stopped looked down at me playing and had a look on hes face that said it all.The look was what the hell are you doing.And then walked away.I looked up at the guy playing lead,Because were still playing.He just smiled and started call out what chord to play and when to play them.After about 30 seconds more of playing as this guy called out the chords.I stood up thank them and handed them a fifty.And got the hell out of there.What a fool I was.But what a lesson I learned.I AM NOT A GUITARIST.I'm just a song player!!!

So,Am I a guitar player.Bill is right,from the first chord I strummed I was a guitar player.And if that is your question then yes.But if your question is when do we call our self guitarist.That my friend is a Damn good question.And being a song player I can't answer that.

Kevin

AcousticAl

Tue May 31, 2011 5:45 am

dekotaj wrote:
Guitar Player???

Damn good question??I am Not a Guitarist!!!!I am a song PLAYER!!!

I hate to even tell this story.But were are all friends here.A couple of years ago I was in Jamaica.Two guys came to the resort and played the guitars.Both were Jamaicans,and played very well.A young man staying at the resort ask to join them so one guy playing handed him hes guitar and this young man started playing Barr chords and the other player filled in some very nice lead parts.And the young man started singing the song La bamba.It sounded great.The young man finished playing and went on hes way.As I set and watched this two guys play the same chords and leads sections for a while longer.The chords were G,D,C,.I asked if I could play them a song.So the same guy handed me hes guitar and I set down to do them a song.But the other guy did not understand that I was going to play them a song.And said to me just play the chords man.So there I set no way to explain to them that I didn't have a clue how to jam with someone.And being a song player and not a guitarist.I started playing G,D,and C.And the lead player started playing hes leads.But something was O so wrong.And just my luck that same young man walked by as i was playing,Stopped looked down at me playing and had a look on hes face that said it all.The look was what the hell are you doing.And then walked away.I looked up at the guy playing lead,Because were still playing.He just smiled and started call out what chord to play and when to play them.After about 30 seconds more of playing as this guy called out the chords.I stood up thank them and handed them a fifty.And got the hell out of there.What a fool I was.But what a lesson I learned.I AM NOT A GUITARIST.I'm just a song player!!!

So,Am I a guitar player.Bill is right,from the first chord I strummed I was a guitar player.And if that is your question then yes.But if your question is when do we call our self guitarist.That my friend is a Damn good question.And being a song player I can't answer that.

Kevin

Kevin,

I read your story a while back. I know many of us have been in similar circumstances where either we've been asked to play- or ask if we can play a tune for someone. There's nothing worse than coming up short in those situations.

But this was different- your playing style just didn't fit with theirs. Given a different environment- you'd have had them in the palm of your hand! You're a great player.

dekotaj

Tue May 31, 2011 9:57 am

Hey Al,

Thank you brother.Its nice to know you and others enjoy the songs I play.As I have enjoyed so many song I've heard other play here on T.G..
But the question of weather some one call them self a guitarist or not has been laying heavy on my mind for a couple of years now.And if we take Neil,Seeing were on T.G..The man has been playing and (LEARNING)guitar for 40 yrs.And for me not knowing the(FIRST)thing about why the guitar dose what it dose.Just to get half the way Neils has would take 20 yrs.And at 54.I would be 74 when I got there.And with the responsibly of life at 54 would mean I would spend the next 20 yrs (LEARNING)why the guitar make beautiful music and not learning songs and playing music.(THIS IS WHAT I LOVE)doing.Sound like a cop out and my be it is? I take my hat off to guys like THE DANCER and other who want to take there playing to another level.BRAVO to all of you folks!!!But right know for me I just want to play.And in 10 yrs if things work out and can retire.I'll have enough good song to play weddings and make a few DOLLARS.And do what I love doing PLAYING SONGS!!!

Kevin

Hydroman52

Tue May 31, 2011 10:05 am

Here’s my take . . . . . .

I agree with Bill and Al. You are the one who needs to decide if you are a guitarist or not, then it is up to your audience and peers to gauge how good you are at it.

I have learned, if someone gives you the opportunity to play, take it and see what happens. That’s the way you gain knowledge and experience . . . . and friends.

Hydroman52

buddy

Tue May 31, 2011 2:41 pm

When someone asks me if I am a guitar player I just always respond "I don't know if I am a guitar player but I do enjoy playing the guitar". This mindset for me just helps keep the pressure off and reminds me that I play and sing for the joy of it, it helps me keep it all in perspective. For me, if I think of the guitar as work then I don't progress. If I think of it as play then I stay much more motivated because it does not add stress to my life but is a stress relief instead.

Forgive the rambling, hope this makes sense,

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic