James Taylor concert

pbraun

Sun May 29, 2011 8:05 am

Well my wife and went to the concert last night, probably our one event for the year. So here is a little recap.

It began almost a little oddly, he came and they opened with Country Road. It sounded good and all but seemed just slightly off somehow. I notice he keep messing with his earpiece control. At the end of the song he said give me two seconds I need to have this thing adjusted. He ran off stage, and came back and said Rachel was going to fix it. Rachel came out and replaced it. James said he had someone else's controller and it sounded like John Denver singing "not bad, just not what I'm used to hearing"!
In the first set, he really engaged the audience, he explained each song, what he was thinking when he wrote it. He said that he has written 150 songs (Seems like much more bit who am I to second guess him), but really only 10 songs 15 different times. He explained that many of his songs begin from the same memory or felling, such as growing up in North Carolina etc. He went into great detail about the song Line Em Up.
He did all of the songs that I hoped he would do
Something in the way she moves (great explanation of plating it for Paul and George, he said Paul like it so much that he signed him, George like it so much he went home and wrote it himself!)
Sweet Baby James, Fire and Rain, My Traveling Star, Copperline, Line em Up,Shower the People. Carolina on my Mind, and so many more.

The band was great, accompanied by some of the same members he has been playing with for years.

They took a 20 minute break, but James stayed on stage the entire time and signed autographs.

The second set seemed to move a little more quickly, less talking before each song, and mostly more of the upbeat songs, Up on the Roof, Steamroller Blues.

The show was great. I thought that he had really engaged the audience, and felt he truly enjoys what he does. I have seen him several times, and I my estimation this was his best.

Thanks
Pete

I tried to attach a picture, but not sure if that will work.

neverfoundthetime

Sun May 29, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks Pete, sound like a great evening!
You'll have to reduce the size of the photo but it should upload as a Jpeg if its not too big.

pbraun

Sun May 29, 2011 10:25 am

Maybe this will work???

pbraun

Sun May 29, 2011 10:26 am

oh well!

BobR

Sun May 29, 2011 11:16 am

Pete,

Sounds like a real nice concert. I have only seen him once at an outdoor venue in Massachusetts and it was great, although he was so far away I couldn't see him without binoculours.

Bob

MarkM

Sun May 29, 2011 12:19 pm

Pete,

Thanks for sharing. I've never seen him. Hopefully some day I will. I have seen his brother Livingston though. I just watched the special JT did on HDNET. Amazing concert. Seems like he did some of the same things that you saw. I'm glad you had a great time.

MarkM

willem

Sun May 29, 2011 12:31 pm

Hi,a friend of my introduced me to JT,,he play's some songs as ''you can close you eyes'' ''sweet baby James'' and now working on ''handyman'' and ''Carolina'' in my mind??..i do love Taylors music but never tryed to play it,,i really hpoe that we get some lessons here as i know that ''you can close your eyes is a favorite from Neil too..

Pete i am glad you had a good time,,i hope to see it some time too here in the dutch...thanks for your story..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic