Audience of two

Hydroman52

Tue May 31, 2011 8:05 pm

In another thread that heatndude (Mark) started a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that my favorite place to relax, sing, and play guitar was on my front porch . . . . . . .

Last year, and this year, I have had an audience of two whenever I play out there in the springtime:

Balcony seating

Sold out venue

The mate is usually close by sitting on a branch or catching bugs in the yard. Soon, there should be three additional attendees:

Soon to be released

And my goofy dog is keeping all predators at bay . . . . . after a swim and a run that is . . . . .:

Security on the loose

The back story . . . . . for those who have the time and are curious.

About six years ago, a storm came through this part of the planet and broke a window in my garage. By the time I discovered it, a pair of Eastern Phoebes (birds of the flycatcher variety) had taken the opportunity to gain access and build a nest inside on top of an old oil can on a shelf above one of the windows. It didn’t make sense for me to repair the window, because to seal them in would mean certain doom for them. So, I left well enough alone and forgot about it. It was actually quite comforting having the nest-sitter quietly watch over me while I worked on one project or another. All the while, the mate would be out in the yard busily catching all kinds of insects. It was truly a win-win situation for all. I was very busy at work that year and never got the window repaired after they left. So, the following spring, they let themselves in once again and built a new nest on top of the old one. Our synergistic relationship continued as they would catch lots of bugs around the house while the dog and I kept them reasonably safe by fending off cats, possums, and other predators.

This was working out well, so I figured why upset the balance and repair the window? I left it the way it was, but the following spring, there was no new building on the old oil can. I found out why when I began preparing my fishing boat for the water. They had moved their home to the fluorescent light above the front deck of the boat. This caused a small problem as they were pooping all over the carpet, seats, windshields . . . . basically, the whole boat. That was solved by spreading newspaper under their favored perches. The real problem began when they decided to fledge the young entirely within the garage. There was bird crap all over the place! I would go into the garage for something and the little guys would be flying all over the place and pooping where ever they landed. I tried giving them the big hint by opening all the doors and windows, but they just wouldn’t leave.

Finally, I saw them out in the back yard chasing bugs and went to reclaim the garage, but one of the adults was back on the nest . . . . . . raising a second clutch! Second verse, same as the first. After the second batch was gone, I boarded up the broken window figuring that they could live outdoors in the wild like normal birds. The following spring, I went out to work on the boat, and there was bird crap on the front deck, again (what the heck?). I looked up and, sure enough, the bird is on the nest (double what the heck!)! As it turned out, another window had broken! Either a storm had put a branch through it, or these birds had learned how to throw rocks! And so it was . . . . . endure another spring of bird crap all over the place. On the day that the second clutch was gone (again), I boarded up the second broken window.

The next spring (last spring), I came home after a few days on the road to find my front doorway all splattered with mud with the beginnings of a nest on top of the brick-molding. They were back, and I thought this was a really bad idea, so I knocked the nest down figuring that they would get the message and build elsewhere. Within ten minutes, they were back up there building and making even more of a mess. We went back and forth like this for a few days until I had to leave for a week or two. When I came back, they had won. Nest, bird, eggs . . . . . . all complete. Sheez . . . . . what could I do? It didn’t take too long before they were so familiar with the dog and me going in and out of the house that they would just stay put rather than fly away. On the next warm day, I took a guitar and chair out there and practiced for a while. They didn’t seem to mind too much . . . . their favorite song appears to be Across the Universe . . . . haven’t figured out why that is, yet. Now, they’re back again, and we’ll see how it works out this year. At least it’s better than inside the garage!

Hydroman52

BobR

Tue May 31, 2011 8:17 pm

Hydroman,

That's quite a nice story(except for the poop :laugh: ). Thanks for the pictures to make it complete. As your title says you'll always have an audience. :woohoo:

Bob

sbutler

Tue May 31, 2011 9:38 pm

I would really enjoy that. I have a pond behind the house that is now full of ducks, gulls a couple of Geese and Sandhill Cranes. There is a lot of noise but its better music than highway traffic.

Thanks for the pix.

I miss my old setter.

Scott

cosmicmechanic

Tue May 31, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi ! dro man !

Nice to learn this story, reminds me of a bird's nest that has appeared twice in the last 3 years at my little country place under the overhang of the balcony.
3 years ago, there were 4 hatchlings, we referred to them as the "Beatles".
Last year there were 3 hatchlings and we referred to them as the "Beegees".

Chirp, Chirp !
Pierre

Music Junkie

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:49 am

Nice story. They are nothing if not persistent! We have two doves that have made a nest the last two years up in a palm tree in our back yard. They sneak down whenever possible and steal dog food from my great dane. Drives her nuts. She was watching them through the sliding glass door the other day and one of them walked right up to the glass and they had a stare down. As soon as Trixie (my great dane) stood up, it was over. The dove took off. It is quite comical to watch the interaction between them. Trixie is more curious than anything, but with her size, she is rather intimidating.... :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic