How Did You Find Your Way To Totally Guitars The First Time?

AcousticAl

Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:25 am

I might have told this on here before..

When I was a teenager, I could play some BASIC chords. I stopped playing until fairly recently.

About to 2 years ago, I was chatting with some neighbours about hobbies and interests. They listed golf, cars, movies etc as theirs.
They asked me what my interests were, and I couldn't list a freakin' one!! Coffee and alcohol were the only things I could think of!!
Funny? Sad? Both?

It was like a Seinfeld episode-- I came inside and said to Helen, "What's my 'thing'? I don't have 'a thing'! Everyone else has 'a thing'.. Why don't I have 'a thing'?!".
Being very smart, H says- "Well go get 'a thing'!"

As luck would have it, we enrolled my daughter in piano lessons. I figured I had to be there anyways, so I might as well take guitar lessons. So I took about 6 months of one-on-one guitar lessons. My instructor was a great guy- but I wasn't getting a great return on investment. I was paying $22 per half an hour per week. I'd go in, have a few questions, work on a song or two with him, then my time was up. I was on my own again until next week.

I started looking for stuff on the net during the time between these lessons.. And stumbled on TG.
I'm a very visual learner. Tell me something a hundred times and I MIGHT get it. SHOW me and I WILL get it.
The lesson structure is perfect for me to analyze and break songs down. And of course Neil's instruction is superb.

I think I joined the weekend that Target was launched- and I haven't looked back.
And I now have THREE hobbies!!
:laugh:

jim56

Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:24 pm

I’ve got the same YouTube story as others but my journey to the hallowed halls of TG started
just after my daughter’s 8th birthday. She received a gift card to Toys R Us and said she wanted to buy a guitar.

We bought her a First Act guitar (a plastic inexpensive guitar). In an effort to tune it Dad tightened the G string too much and I was soon off to the music store to buy a string. I got the string replaced and left the shop with 2 guitars; I bought her another better quality instrument, half sized classical guitar. Little brother got the plastic guitar :) . I took an interest in her new guitar and found I couldn’t get my left hand sausages behind the frets. So back to the music store I went and when I left I had purchased my own classical guitar.

A coworker who plays keys in a band mentioned that there are all kinds of free lessons on YouTube, so I started my search. It was there that I discovered Neil Hogan explaining lessons while sitting on his fireplace. I made my way over to his web site and created a free membership account and had a look around.

I still have the same account # 436. I recall listening to the Beatles Radio on the site which where a collection of his Beatles arrangements. Not long afterward news about a new feature to the site was on its way and we were invited to a TG Live show. I waited with much anticipation for the cost of membership to the TARGET (Totally Acoustic Rapid Guitar Excellence Training) program. As soon as the registers opened I jumped at the opportunity to get in. I have saved a bundle of money when compared to the cost of the private lessons I was paying for before joining TARGET! And I am proud to say I am a plank owner in the finest online guitar training program.

Note: A "plank owner" is an individual who was a member of the crew of a ship when that ship was placed in commission.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic