How Did You Find Your Way To Totally Guitars The First Time?

haoli25

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:35 pm

(I stole this question from Neil, but I thought it might be fun)

Was it through YouTube, friends of friends, other guitar players, etc?

Like many others, I was searching through the eleventy million guitar related videos on YouTube. I kept coming across the videos from a guy named Neil Hogan. His videos were different from most of the others on YouTube in that he actually knew what he was talking about.
I followed the link to Totally Guitars. It was a small site, only a few lessons up, but they were great lessons. I don't think the 'TG Forum' was even around then. When the Forum was added, I started to check out TG on a more regular basis. There were quite a few experienced guitar players that stopped by the Forum and Neil stopped by from time to time to answer questions.
When they started to mention the TARGET program, I was sure it was not for me. As a metter of fact, even at the start of the first loooooong TARGET webinar, I was sure that the program was not for me. The 50 songs in the program then (quit laughing, it seemed like a lot back then) was certainly a great lure. By the end of the first webinar I had signed up for TARGET.
As my pal, BigBear, has said many times before,"It was one of the best decisions I have ever made."

Onward and upward.

Bill Image

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Pretty much the same with me. I caught a video of Neil showing the riff to The Story in Your Eyes by the Moody Blues and I couldn't get over to TG fast enough. I realised I could hang around enjoying the free stuff for a while but I signed up 2nd day to TARGET because I felt it was the best possible deal you could get and I realised Neil is a master teacher. When you know, you just know!

millponddave

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:05 pm

I was looking for TAB for Ripple and up poped Neil. I immediately liked his style and went on over to the TG site. after watching a few free lessons I realized that TG was the place for me. I was not looking to sign up for web based lessons but after thinking about it for a couple of days I signed up for the TARGET and haven't looked back. I plan on sticking around for as long as there is a TG.

Dave

BobR

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:35 pm

My son-in-law plays and is a big Bob Seger fan. He sent me a youtube link for Still the Same. Yup, it was the link to TotallyGuitars. I really enjoyed the lesson and how well it was done. I remember Neil mentioning something about a Target Program and to stay tuned. Well I did and I figured for the price I couldn't go wrong and signed up as soon as I could. No looking back now. :woohoo: It has been great and I always look forward to logging in to see whats going on.

Bob

Lavallee

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:40 pm

I was trying a new site pretty much every week. I was with a a regular teacher once a week but it was not enough, I wanted to learn every day. Then I saw this video of Neil playing classical gas that I was trying to learn but nobody was even close to play the real song. Neil was right on the money and sounded like an excellent teacher. He was talking about acoustic guitar. I registered a few month before the first webinar and also signed for Target right away. No regrets and constantly amazed.

Marc

tovo

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:12 pm

I just surfed about. There are so many people teaching tunes on the net but so many of them are either just plain wrong, or deliberately dumb down complex tunes to 3 chords so that people can approximate the tune in a short time and think the instructor is a legend, or they are impossible to follow. I only know of one exception, which I won't mention.

Neil is a great teacher and teaches the tune absolutely correctly. Where he differs from the original he explains why. It's not done through ignorance. That's a big difference.

Anyway....to answer the question Bill, I just surfed the net and there he was and I joined right up.

tovo

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:18 pm

I was on YouTube and saw Neal playing some intro...can't remember what. So I clicked over and watched a few freebies. Great guitar teacher, great shirts! What more could one ask for?

Chasplaya

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:33 am

My story is much the same was surfing You Tube looking for a song which I can't even remember - now along comes this dude sitting in his lounge looking all relaxed, I almost moved on but thought what the heck. As soon as TG was mentioned I joined up hey it was just the free site what could I lose! Been here ever since. Didn't join TARGET straight away, money issues :-( But obviously things changed and here I am.

willem

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:42 am

They find me and they wont stop sending me teasers,,then i trap in it...and there was a guy telling me he smells good teachers,,,his nose was right.

AndyT

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:00 am

I had and, I think I still have... a membership on the free side of at least 50 guitar sites.
I was thinking that 90% of these guys either did not really understand the gitbox, or they just didn't know how to explain it to me.

So one day I hit this YouTube vid of Neil sitting in front of his fireplace doing Kodachrome I think it was. He seemed like he really knew what he was talking about. So I went to the website. They had one page with some half formed links that failed when I clicked them. So I signed up for the newsletter and moved on. A couple of months later, I started getting emails about the New Totally Guitars website. I checked it out and it was still buggy. So I went off again.
Maybe 2 or 3 weeks later, I came across a link that brought me to TG and the site was completely different. Links worked and there were some actual lessons.
I started coming on a regular basis have never left since.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic