How Did You Find Your Way To Totally Guitars The First Time?

Yamaha48

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:04 am

My way to find Totally guitar.
I meet Willem on a Dutch guitar site.
On Hyves i accept him as a friend.
Later he gives me the name of TG.
Im proud that he gives me the name,of this fantastic site.
This is a piece of my live.
Thanks Willem.

cheers........................Anton

RicksPick

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:05 am

Well One day I was listening to the radio when I heard a song called Norweigan Wood and I thought That sounds do,able maybe I can learn it.
Got home, right P.C. on, google Norweigan Wood, checked out a few sites and video's, some old guy about 70 years old was querky, :huh: some plump guy with gray hair wernt to bad either. :unsure:
Then came across Neil, :lol: It was the most complete and easy to understand instruction I had found so far, but there was something else, his style ? his enthusiasum? It just sucked me in, :ohmy: enough so that I thought I would check out his website see what else was free, There I found some great video's but not many and to try and find/ navigate to anything was a nightmare!! :angry: , but before too long there was this promise that things were going to improve, the site was going to get a overhaul
So hey this was free so no harm in waiting and maybe some more of these great lessons would appear, then Totally guitars as we know it was born, and they kept us intreeged further with some strange groundbreaking secret to come, :huh: lol what can it be?????? turned out to be TARGET, the rest is history- well no thats all history now,,But it changed my life for the better, met some great people and improved my guitar playing like I never thought possible. :laugh:
Wow that was what over 2 years ago now, Ive not needed to use another site as Ive been to busy with the TARGET program.
Well thats my story

RicksPick

thereshopeyet

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:26 am

Thanks

daryl

Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:47 am

Talk about fantastic testimonials (for a GREAT site)! Bill, are you sure you're not working for TG on the side???? ;)

suziko

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:07 am

My story is not so different from yours, Bill. I'd been trying to learn the guitar for about a year and had taken some group classes and a few individual lessons with a teacher in my city. But I wasn't happy with the progress I was making and was trying to speed it up by doing more on my own. I bought a few books and started searching YouTube for some instructional videos. Some were helpful, but many seemed to skip essential parts of the song. Or they wouldn't clearly explain how to do the tricky bits. Or it wasn't apparent what chords they were playing. Or the way they played it just sounded wrong!! The list goes on and on. I then found a sneak peak video of Neil doing Closer to Fine, which brought me to the TG site for the full free lesson. I watched it and was pleased with how clear and precise his explanations were. Amazingly, I could actually play the song (haltingly, but still!) after watching his lesson. I also enjoyed his personality: laid-back, slightly self-deprecating, funny and good-natured. The Target program was fairly new at that point, and at first thought I wouldn't join. It seemed like there were plenty of free lessons available to keep me busy enough. But then, the longer I stayed and the more I started chatting with people on the forum, the more it seemed like the cost of the Target program was pretty low considering what I would be getting for it (I paid more for just one hour with my private instructor!). That was almost 2 years ago and I've never regretted my decision. In fact, I firmly believe it was the best decision I ever made for improving my playing.

Suzi

ffsooo3

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:53 am

Well I was searching on the net to find an accurate tab on 'Just Breathe', but just couldn't find it. Eventually I bumped into Neil on Youtube and finally it was what I was looking for. I was able to figure out the spots in the song that I wasn't sure about, but besides that, he really did grab my attention by the way he explained little things. Like others have said already, I thought 'this guy réally knows what he is talking about'. However I found what I was looking for and went ahead.

Later I was searching again, this time for 'Triad' and bumped into him agáin. I have to say the frame of his videos is very recognizable, so I was like: 'hey, I've seen him before'. Of course I wanted the full lesson and this time I went to the site, I was already convinced about his teaching, wich still amazes me every day, and just scrolled the Target-list to see if it was interesting to me. First I wanted to just buy one lesson, wich would be like $15, compared to $30 for the full Target program, the latter was of course the best deal to take, wich I did immediately. (I mean, like Suzi says, $30 or more is what you pay for an hour with a private instructor.)

'Triad' wasn't on the list at that time though, haha, but Neil made it up to me later by putting a lesson together after reading a comment of mine about it! :P

Anyway, I've said it before and others as well, without exaggerating, to me Neil is simply the greatest teacher around, a húge inspiration to me, and I feel grateful to have found him and to be able to learn from him!

Ness

mark

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:46 am

My story is very similar to many of yours.

I came across Totally guitars when surfing around You Tube. It was immediately obvious to me that Neil's teaching was far superior to most of what was on offer.
I remember the nasty realisation that the site wasn't going to remain a free site for very long and the lessons were really just tasters for something bigger to come.
At the time I was sure that I wouldn't pay for any tuition as there was so much free stuff out there.
However by the time of the first webinar I was hooked and was signing up within seconds of the price being annouced.

The site has far exceeded what it initially promised.
I think the initial promise was something ike 2 new songs a month. We get more than a week now

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:23 am

(I mean, like Suzi says, $30 or more is what you pay for an hour with a private instructor.)
$30 would get you a Hello, how are you, did you do your homework? Oh, times up!" here ;-).
$80/hr is the going rate and you'd be at aver $120 for someone of Neil's class.

jimcjimc

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:17 am

I think I have told this story before twice here, once in my introductory post and once in a song in last year's win a guitar contest( to the tune of 4+20):

My wife and I are fans of Hawaiian music and slack-key guitar and we went to see Keola Beamer in a concert at Villa Montalvo in Saratoga. Neil was the opening act and during one of his chats with the audience he mentioned the totally guitars web site and how he had students now from all over the world. I checked it out and joined the Target program!

Jim

haoli25

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:24 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
(I mean, like Suzi says, $30 or more is what you pay for an hour with a private instructor.)
$30 would get you a Hello, how are you, did you do your homework? Oh, times up!" here ;-).
$80/hr is the going rate and you'd be at aver $120 for someone of Neil's class.

That is very true, Chris. After watching a few of the "Fly On The Wall" series of videos, Neil's time is worth anything he wishes to charge for it. The one-on-one with his students is nothing short of amazing. Neil is the guitar teacher we always hoped we could find.

The responses are great everyone. It seems that everyone was drawn to Neil's teaching style and the song or group of songs that brought us here was quite varied.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic