How Did You Find Your Way To Totally Guitars The First Time?

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:56 pm

Like so many others, it was due to a search on YT for a song I wanted to learn. At this point, I can't even remember the song. It seems so long ago now... :)

I have told this story before, but.......

I remember signing up after YT led me here, and the first thing I did was ask Neil for some help with the intro to a song (Cori: it was the Blackfoot song we were talking about). I received an email that same day with the intro tabbed out in GP5. I had asked for help on so many other sites and nothing was available. I was completely amazed and so very happy! Like so many others, I was hooked right away. I remember when the site had it's official launching and paid memberships started. I jumped at the chance, because it seemed so promising. I had no idea how great the site was going to turn out to be. Since then, I have learned so much and was actually able to finish tabbing out the song that Neil started for me! Still can't play it very well, but the tab is solid.... :P

I will always be grateful for that start and to Neil for actually listening and responding when nobody else would help. Pretty damn cool in my book..... B)

MJ

sbutler

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:04 pm

Hmmmm....can't resist to stand up for sóme teachers out there who do teach with their hearts and souls and do a lot more then 'hello, how are you, did you do your homework, times up' for that kind of money ($30 or more per hour), come to think of it, some should actually charge more! ;)

But bottom of line, $30 per month for the Targetprogram is of course an absolute bargain :cheer: ! (is that correct english? :dry: )

neverfoundthetime wrote:
(I mean, like Suzi says, $30 or more is what you pay for an hour with a private instructor.)
$30 would get you a Hello, how are you, did you do your homework? Oh, times up!" here ;-).
$80/hr is the going rate and you'd be at aver $120 for someone of Neil's class.

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:05 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Hmmmm....can't resist to stand up for sóme teachers out there who do teach with their hearts and souls and do a lot more then 'hello, how are you, did you do your homework, times up' for that kind of money ($30 or more per hour), come to think of it, some should actually charge more! ;)

But bottom of line, $30 per month for the Targetprogram is of course an absolute bargain :cheer: ! (is that correct english? :dry: )

neverfoundthetime wrote:
(I mean, like Suzi says, $30 or more is what you pay for an hour with a private instructor.)
$30 would get you a Hello, how are you, did you do your homework? Oh, times up!" here ;-).
$80/hr is the going rate and you'd be at aver $120 for someone of Neil's class.
Ness:

I will also put a good word in for some of the private instructors. My oldest son and I take lessons every Friday evening with a truly wonderful instructor. I go in from 5:30 - 6:00 and Dom goes in from 6:00-6:30. it runs $25.00/half hour. Ron could easily ask for more (and probably should). His teaching style is solid and his patience and great attitude are very similar to that of our own Mr. Hogan. All that being said, it is tough to match what we get here for the going rate. I feel very fortunate to have both this site and Ron as guides on my journey..... ;)

MJ

abiliog

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:13 pm

A similar story with me.
I've decided to learn how to play the guitar but private lessons were too expensive. So I've started googleing sites about guitar lessons. Found a few but none of them spoked to my heart. They were not what I was looking for. I wanted to learn something more than just how to play a few chords and songs.
Google was my friend and introduced me TotallyGuitars.
I subscribed the site and watched some of the free videos. My mind started to smile...
Then came Target Program and I've decided to subscribe.
This site and Neil's musical and teaching skills, are far beyond my greatest expectation. It will take years to learn and practice all there is to know in here.
Unlike Bono, I've found much more than what I was looking for. :laugh:
Abilio

skaladar

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:41 pm

Well, finding a website is one thing and as so many before me, I found my way here via a video demonstrating how to play a particular song I was interested in at the time. However I found lots of videos and lots of websites teaching how to play different songs I was interested in. What’s I think is important is not so much how I got here but why I stayed and continue to spend as much free time as I can here. Naturally, as has been common in all of the posts so far, the reason was the man with the colorful shirts and unending enthusiasm for teaching. About three minutes into my first lesson I knew my search was over. As I watched more lessons I was continually amazed at the Neil’s flare for teaching. But I don’t have to stand on a soapbox, preaching to the choir about that … I’m sure you all know and feel the same way … Add to that a community of people, like none found anywhere I’ve ever seen, who are so willing to help and be supportive along with a staff that really goes the extra mile to make sure things are right and it’s no wonder that TG has such loyal following. I am so happy that I did find my way here because it has changed my life for the better in a way I didn’t think possible.

Thank you Neil, TG staff and the whole TG community!

♫ Ken ♫

tombo1230

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:16 pm

So to sum up what everyone thinks. Neil is a legend in the Guitar Teaching World. The choice and quality of lessons/ songs is brilliant and grows daily. This is the best Guitar site on the net. We are all very fortunate we found this site and Neils lessons. Most of us have made huge strides in our playing since joining! Shhhhhhhh, Just don't tell everyone, they will all want to join. ;) :)

Me? I found Neil on utube and signed up right away, because I was so impressed with his lessons and also unlike a lot of teachers he could actualy play the songs all the way through without having to jump cut edit the song together. Neil is able to know what you will find difficult, so covers everything you need to know, just brilliant!

Tom N.

pbraun

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Well it seems like light years ago now but it was on You Tube, can't remember what I was looking for but once it was there I was hooked. I remember the ads for joining. What would you pay for lessons etc. It didn't take long before the chance to join was there and I jumped right away and never looked back or regretted it, best move I ever made!
Pete

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:30 pm

Hmmmm....can't resist to stand up for sóme teachers out there who do teach with their hearts and souls and do a lot more then 'hello, how are you, did you do your homework, times up' for that kind of money ($30 or more per hour), come to think of it, some should actually charge more! Ness
I meant $30 would not buy you much time.....

suziko

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:49 pm

I must have had the cheapest guitar instructor in the world! He charged about $25/hour!

I think there's a place for private instructors as well as TG. I've considered working with someone here as well as keeping my Target membership. The two cover different things. And some people aren't self-motivating or feel like they need someone to check their technique, explain things, etc. For them, a private instructor would be indispensable. I certainly never meant to imply that there's no place for private instructors. I just wanted to make the point that the Target program seemed like a great deal to me, because even at only $25/hour for private instruction, I was still paying about $100/month, which is 5x what I pay for Target.

Suzi

Craig

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:36 pm

I was surfing around you tube (like most of you) trying to find a good lesson for the Who's "Behind Blue Eyes". The irony to my story is that since the full Target lesson has been added, I haven't really taken the time to learn it! :laugh: Too busy with all of the other great songs I've been working on!
Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic