The Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England Explained

rdaltry

Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:31 am

This helps me to better understand some of you TGers...

[video type=youtube]rNu8XDBSn10[/video]

Chasplaya

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:28 am

rdaltry wrote:
This helps me to better understand some of you TGers...
Glad somebody could follow that... And I'm Scottish but live in NZ ...a Skiwi

willem

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:48 am

GOODLORD

Hydroman52

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:38 am

Good information . . . . . and he got it all in one breath.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:04 am

Well that makes everything clear for all our ex-colonials, I hope ;-). It's ok, the rest of you don't have to doff your hats to us Brits any more, we'll accept deferential treatment instead! More you need to know....

Brits don't consider themselves European although we belong geographically to Europe. Europe is always referred to as The Continent. The Germans refer to Britain as Der Insel, The Island (it would be interesting to hear how our Dutch friends see us). If you really want to insult a Scot or Welshman, just ask him if he's English! An Irishman will not be insulted, he'll just think you're a complete eedjet for not spotting the obvious accent. At the World Cup (soccer) England could theoretically play against Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland except those "countries" never qualify (sorry Chas, Stu and the rest!) but at the Olympics The Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish are in the same team with the English competing as Great Britain. At the European Song Contest the same folks (metaphorically) compete against the rest of Europe (and Israel!) as The United Kingdom. And there isn't a Englishman, Scot, Welshie or Northern Irishman who would bat an eyelid at the above. I'm not sure how the rest of the world works it out though!

In the unlikely event of Andy Murrey winning Wimbledon at the weekend (well, Federer is out), you will note that the English media will refer to him as British although he is definitely a Scot. It will be a British victory not a Scottish one!

If you look at an atlas you'll see Switzerland right bang smack in the centre of Europe but it is not a part of the European Union although they do adapt to nearly all EU laws by default... they just refuse to join the club through fear of losing sovereignty and identity. They will accept all the advantages though, thank you very much! ;-)

One day we must surely all become one nation under the sun, the human race united on its home planet... but as the above illustrates, it will take a long time to get there... or a paradigm changing event. Gene Roddenberry was way ahead of his time.

willem

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:15 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Well that makes everything clear for all our ex-colonials, I hope ;-). It's ok, the rest of you don't have to doff your hats to us Brits any more, we'll accept deferential treatment instead! More you need to know....

Brits don't consider themselves European although we belong geographically to Europe. Europe is always referred to as The Continent. The Germans refer to Britain as Der Insel, The Island (it would be interesting to hear how our Dutch friends see us). If you really want to insult a Scot or Welshman, just ask him if he's English! An Irishman will not be insulted, he'll just think you're a complete eedjet for not spotting the obvious accent. At the World Cup (soccer) England could theoretically play against Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland except those "countries" never qualify (sorry Chas, Stu and the rest!) but at the Olympics The Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish are in the same team with the English competing as Great Britain. At the European Song Contest the same folks (metaphorically) compete against the rest of Europe (and Israel!) as The United Kingdom. And there isn't a Englishman, Scot, Welshie or Northern Irishman who would bat an eyelid at the above. I'm not sure how the rest of the world works it out though!

In the unlikely event of Andy Murrey winning Wimbledon at the weekend (well, Federer is out), you will note that the English media will refer to him as British although he is definitely a Scot. It will be a British victory not a Scottish one!

If you look at an atlas you'll see Switzerland right bang smack in the centre of Europe but it is not a part of the European Union although they do adapt to nearly all EU laws by default... they just refuse to join the club through fear of losing sovereignty and identity. They will accept all the advantages though, thank you very much! ;-)

One day we must surely all become one nation under the sun, the human race united on its home planet... but as the above illustrates, it will take a long time to get there... or a paradigm changing event.

You don't believe this Chris,,when i must send the TG banner and they say it would be traveling Europe first and Rick ask me if he could have it i said to Marc if it was good to give it a litlle bounce to the UK..my wife said that belongs to Europe as well.... I think TG belongs also to Europe,,well at least last sunday..be well..[/ when someone say i am Britsch i alway's think he is from England..

thereshopeyet

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks

tombo1230

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:58 pm

willem wrote:

.[/i][/ when someone say i am Britsch i alway's think he is from England..

A common mistake Willem, I am British, European, Scottish and definately...................... not English :)

Tom N.

BobR

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:44 pm

Wow! I have a headache :ohmy:

Bob
from New England :P

tovo

Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:41 am

Well that was a cool video, thanks for posting I sure learned something.

I was in a pub in Northern Ireland and was asked by a very large man where I came from. After I told him Australia he asked if I dislike England. I don't, in fact my Mother is English but as I looked around at the Celtic flags I was keenly aware of everyone staring at me waiting for an answer so I mumbled something derogatory and received a pat on the back and a pint of Guinness by way of a reward.

Sometimes discretion is by far the better part of valour.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic