Back problems from guitar?!

Music Junkie

Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:34 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Thanks for your comments & support.

I'm kind of in a holding pattern until this next test is done. I'm just fine now- which is actually disconcerting- because I don't know what set it off last time.

Marc- to answer your question re.guitars- its wide open! Only criteria is a smaller body than a dread so I can play more comfortably longer.
I'm having a blast auditioning them though! Tried a Martin OMC body that is very similar to my current dread in sound and materials.. just a smaller body.
Someone told me to try a Taylor 314ce as well. Looking for one to try now. Assuming it has a smaller body than a dreadnought?
Al:

If you can find them, the 000-15 series in Martin is a great size. Mine is all Mahogany and sounds great (IMHO). I love the size of it.....

Good Luck. There are a ton to choose from... :)

MJ

dennisg

Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Al,

The 314 is a Grand Auditorium-sized guitar, and most dimensions are the same as a dread. Where it really differs is in the waist size: the waist on a GA is pinched in, making it a much more comfortable guitar to sit down with and put on your knee. A dread is made for standing up.

Even smaller than a Grand Auditorium is a Grand Concert, which is my new favorite Taylor size because it's so damned comfortable to sit down and play. It's smaller in almost every dimension than a Grand Auditorium, and it has a slightly shorter scale, enhancing its playability. If the GC size interests you, then look for a Taylor 312, as opposed to a 314.

AcousticAl

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:22 am

dennisg wrote:
Al,

The 314 is a Grand Auditorium-sized guitar, and most dimensions are the same as a dread. Where it really differs is in the waist size: the waist on a GA is pinched in, making it a much more comfortable guitar to sit down with and put on your knee. A dread is made for standing up.

Even smaller than a Grand Auditorium is a Grand Concert, which is my new favorite Taylor size because it's so damned comfortable to sit down and play. It's smaller in almost every dimension than a Grand Auditorium, and it has a slightly shorter scale, enhancing its playability. If the GC size interests you, then look for a Taylor 312, as opposed to a 314.

I should probably start a new thread about the fun I'm having trying out guitars! Just searching for a more comfortable fit for couch playing and so I don't fatigue as easily as with a dread.

For those that are curious- I played a Larrivée 'Silver Oak' which sounded and felt gorgeous! No pickup/cutaway though :(
http://12fret.com/new/Larrivee_L-03_Gre ... ta_pg.html

I played a Martin all-mahogany small body- but found it very similar to my GS Mini in size.
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/ ... 5SCUST.htm

I also took Dennis' advice and got my hands on a Taylor 312. Again, it felt good- but the size edged toward my GS Mini again. Also lacked a bit in bass- as you'd expect from a smaller bodied guitar. Still sounded great though!
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/312ce

I tried a Martin OMC-16GTE- which is a smaller bodied version of my current Martin. It uses all of the same materials as my DC-16GTE- just has a smaller body. Felt really good on my lap- but actually had trouble fretting. That's actually a complaint I have with my dread as well. More often than not- I buzz strings in barre chords up the neck. Small hands... small...? Don't say it! :P
http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/cho ... =OMC-16GTE

Still gotta try a Taylor 314ce. I know Dennis mentioned it has a similar body to a dread- but it is a bit smaller and has that smaller waist for sitting (how I play). I've done a search of reviews on this guitar and I'm hard pressed to find a negative one! They've ordered one to my local dealer and will try it out this week..
http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--TAY314CE

Havin' a blast though!!

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:34 am

Al, you are motivating me to look after my back really well! I'd hate to be forced not to play my full-bodied, heavy 12 string and not get the equally big BSA dread. I love a guitar with real solidity and feel to it.

dennisg

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Al,

The best of all worlds is a 12-fret GC with a cutaway. The 12-fret neck will give you the volume and bass response lacking in the 312, and the cutaway will allow you to reach frets the 12-fret neck tends to prevent.

AcousticAl

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:42 am

dennisg wrote:
Al,

The best of all worlds is a 12-fret GC with a cutaway. The 12-fret neck will give you the volume and bass response lacking in the 312, and the cutaway will allow you to reach frets the 12-fret neck tends to prevent.

Hey Dennis,

I looked that one up-- it's a bit pricey for me this time around- but I would like to give it a spin at some point.

BTW- I rented a Larrivée L-03R (I think?) with rosewood back & sides. Already took it back. Was really heavy (rosewood quality?) and didn't care for the sound.
I'm now renting a 314ce!! Really liking it so far- the narrower waist is perfect for how I sit and play (sometimes cross-legged). Sound is GREAT!

I just uploaded a video of myself and Miss H doing a song with it in the Valentine's Day thread if you want to check it out.

Cheers!

dennisg

Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:56 am

Absolutely, I'll check the song out. Your videos are right up there with the Sopranos and the Tudors as episodes I never want to miss.

Yeah, the 12-fretters are definitely more pricey. Mine produces such significantly better tone than my 814 (certainly no slouch either) that I considered it well worth it.

Finally, one thing you might want to consider is a little guitarists footstool. I use it all the time now and it's provided two very nice benefits: 1) I can sit up straighter due to the higher position of the guitar, making it much easier on my back; and 2) Putting my foot on a stool raises my right knee, preventing the guitar from constantly sliding away from me. I didn't realize how much of an issue this was until after I got used to the stool, and I noticed that when I didn't use it, I was constantly having to adjust the guitar. Anyway, a stool is a very cheap investment to try out. I think mine cost $13.

Good luck on your search.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic