Back problems from guitar?!

buddy

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:08 pm

Al, This is one reason I play standing or leaning on a counter a lot of the time. This relieves a lot of the shoulder issues for me. As others have said, I also do a lot of stretching and this helps out in all kinds of ways.

Good luck,

Bud

dsmarion

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:10 pm

Al,

I am so sorry to hear that news. You're right, that does not sound right at all. Hope you feel better soon and they find out what is going on and find a good treatment.

Scott

P.S. That doesn't sound like something caused by playing guitar unless your posture is horrible - and from watching your vids we know it is not.

AcousticAl

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:19 pm

dsmarion wrote:
Al,

I am so sorry to hear that news. You're right, that does not sound right at all. Hope you feel better soon and they find out what is going on and find a good treatment.

Scott

P.S. That doesn't sound like something caused by playing guitar unless your posture is horrible - and from watching your vids we know it is not.

Thanks Scott.

I realize it's not from playing guitar.. although it does aggravate it. I have always had a bad back, so i started this thread over 7 months ago when I was just looking for guitar/back fatigue advice.
I added this update here, as others might remember this thread.

BobR

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:39 pm

Hi Al,

I was just about to go offline and I saw this. That just sucks. I hope you find out whats up and get to feel better really soon.

Bob

neverfoundthetime

Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:38 am

That is no fun at all Al! Sorry to hear about that. I hope there are no cracks and that your calcium levels are ok and that it just turns out to be muscular and soft tissue problems... which is treatable with physio.
Chris' link was very interesting, and I find that stretching and exercising is really the key for my situation. Yours sounds a bit more serious, and I hope you can get it under control without too much more pain....
MJ
I have had to contend with a degenerated disc at L5 (2nd lowest vertebrae) since late teens and I've been able to study sport, play soccer, tennis and squash to a decent level and actively coach these sports over decades by doing exercises for the middle body and back. I have paid when I have neglected to do that. The biggest problem for anyone's back is bad sitting position. That's what you do when you use your laptop. If your screen isn't much higher than you have it now, you are in for problems sooner or later. I mentioned the McKenzie Method and the simple exersise you can do to get your self out of trouble. I really recommend you look at www.mckenziemdt.org/approach.cfm?section=int there are lots of videos on You Tube too.

An odd and interesting fact when it comes to back problems is that you can have a serious back issue but no pain and you can have a minor problem and big pain, there is often no correlation and.... importantly, a seemingly dire problem can disappear with simple exercising. Al, I sincerely hope that the latter is true for you but in any event you will be doing physio for your back so please look up the McKenzie Method.. and call my sis Pat for some advice, she's an expert, you have the number.

Chris

Chasplaya

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Al maybe your doing it wrong!!

Seriously though I too get backaches and I've found a slight change in position has helped, somewhere in between classical left leg and right leg and holding neck higher. I also have lower vertebrae problems as a result of car accident when a teenager, but I've grown to live with that and dozes of dyclofenac

Although this may not now be your issue but a slight change may help. Good luck with the tests.

AndyT

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:12 pm

Al, Are you sure this isn't the result of being strong armed by your wife? LOL
I know how insistent they can be at times....

Stretching, taking breaks, and other hints and tips posted, All good stuff. But let's look at another possibility. What is your vitamin and mineral intake like? I just had a Doc appt the other day (Monday) and was told to start taking a multi-vit/mineral everyday. He said that the back can suffer from a form of mal-nutritution as well as the rest of the body.

Possibly it will help with my bulging disks and I can then toss the cane and limp in favor of a power slide across the stage. LOL

Bulging disks. Makes me think of overfull hard drives. LOL

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:54 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that Al... :( ...gosh some stuff you're dealing and have been dealing with.....pfffff :S .......I so hope it'll be fixed soon...hang in there...we sure would love to see you around here again.

Ness

Lavallee

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:31 am

Hi Al, sorry to be late and I am sorry to hear about your back problem. I hope it will endup with just bad posture causing the problem. I had back problems for years until someone told me to use a thicker pillow which would keep my head slightly higher that the body axis (sleeping on the side).
You mentioned you were shopping guitars again, what are you looking for?
Marc

AcousticAl

Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks for your comments & support.

I'm kind of in a holding pattern until this next test is done. I'm just fine now- which is actually disconcerting- because I don't know what set it off last time.

Marc- to answer your question re.guitars- its wide open! Only criteria is a smaller body than a dread so I can play more comfortably longer.
I'm having a blast auditioning them though! Tried a Martin OMC body that is very similar to my current dread in sound and materials.. just a smaller body.
Someone told me to try a Taylor 314ce as well. Looking for one to try now. Assuming it has a smaller body than a dreadnought?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic