Back problems from guitar?!

AndyT

Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:55 am

I was having problems with my shoulder and I was told by a Chiro to take a 2 foot (.6 meter) long rod that is light weight (the lighter the better) grip it in the middle and spin it back and forth at arms length. This puts the tendons back in place after being draped over the body of your guitar. Each time I do it, I feel things 'pop' and much of the pain goes away nearly instantly.
I also started using my strap all the time and adjusting my guitar to hang the sound hole directly in front of me with the neck around a 45 degree angle pointing upwards. It's made a huge difference. I have the strap adjusted so that the guitar hangs in the same place whether I'm sitting or standing.

BammBamm22

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:33 pm

Hey i have the ame problem. i have a Martin DCPA4 Dreadnought. you have to get a good quality guitar stool wit a seat. i went to the local office furniture store and bought an inexpensive office chair no arm rest, but had a great lower back support rest. then get a foot stool (i use and old 4X6 peice of lumber about 7 inches long) and tht should do the trick. BBg

AcousticAl

Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks for all the tips. It has gotten better now- probably because I've been playing less. At least shorter durations.

As a side note, when the pain was bad I actually tried out a few different guitars. Smaller bodied Martins. Actually brought one home for the weekend to put through the paces.

It did feel a bit better but just didn't sound as good as my full sized dread.
I returned it ASAP! :)

AcousticAl

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:20 am

This thread again?!
Update for those that are interested. I've been MIA for a while..

My back flared up again about 2 weeks ago. To the point where I couldn't function. Literally couldn't lift a water glass to take painkillers and was going to call an ambulance at 3 in the morning!

Well that's not right- so the next day I saw my Doctor and he sent me for x-rays. My back settled down after about 4 days while waiting for the results. And the results are in..

Turns out that 2 of my upper vertebra show signs of cracking and fracture! WTF?!?

The doctor says this type of injury usually only occurs in accident victims- which I'm not.
So they're thinking calcium deficiency? Pretty serious calcium deficiency- don't you think?!

So I'm about to enter the hamster-wheel of testing to see what's going on.. Wish me luck!

Back to guitars- I still might be switching things up for a smaller body guitar depending on how this pans out.

Will keep you posted.

lueders

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:55 am

Jesus, Al that sounds terrible! That all sounds incredibly strange.
Best of luck!!! Will Be definitely thinking about you...

Cori

frybaby

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:33 am

Al,
I feel your pain -Literally
Some really good advice in the thread.
I had the exact same problem and like you noticed it definitely was related to extended guitar play on my my Guild D40 Dreadnaught
The pain later developed in to what was called "frozen shoulder" a very painful malady which required physical therapy.
Probably not due to guitar play, but was a forerunner to the condition and aggravated the situation as it advanced.
Anyway what helped me to continue to play pain free was getting a smaller guitar body. I now play almost exclusively my Taylor 514C Grand concert body style. I love it. I think Martin has something similar to that size.
When I play the Guild , after a short time I feel the pain returning.
Also a product I highly recommend and was a aid in relieving the pain, and have mentioned on this site and others, and have received several thank you for the recommendation is a guitar support called the Neck Up.
I love it and use it constantly. In fact I leave it attached to my Taylor, and when use in to the Guild and my Alverex when ever I play them. It defiantly not as comefortable to play without it.
Check it out here. http://www.neckup.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

willem

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:52 am

I certainly wish you luck,get well Al..

dennisg

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:49 am

Al, my calcium numbers were all out of whack, too. Turns out one of my parathyroid glands (which controls calcium levels in the body) was messed up and needed to be removed. You might ask your doctor about the necessity of a test for your parathyroids.

Music Junkie

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Al:

My thoughts are with you through this. I have Spina-Bifida Occulta, which luckily is the mildest form. As long as I stay active and exercise, I am fine. However, about two to three times a year I will be doing something as simple as bending down to pick up a pair of shoes and my back will just give out and down I go full force. It usually hurts like hell for about a week and then slowly gets better. Totally sucks and I can't get comfortable in any position for more than about 10-15 minutes.

I hope they get to the bottom of this for you, so you can figure out how to treat it and avoid things that will aggravate it.

Chris' link was very interesting, and I find that stretching and exercising is really the key for my situation. Yours sounds a bit more serious, and I hope you can get it under control without too much more pain.... :(

MJ

AcousticAl

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks for your comments, guys.

Very strange indeed.

Am going for a bone density test on Valentine's Day. How romantic!
We'll see what that shows.

On the plus side- I've started looking at and playing showroom guitars again.

:whistle:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic