I'm lusting for women!

Hydroman52

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:40 am

suziko wrote:
Do I figure some things out for myself these days? Yes, more and more often.
Suzi,

I'm very flattered that you figured out the point of my comment. I was a bit worried that someone might take it wrong and think that I was gender bashing or something. You are a smart person.

Hydroman52

dsmarion

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:55 am

MarkM wrote:
UGH!!!! This intro just gets me every time. Just awesome!!!
MarkM
You know, just when you think the hard part is done (the intro) really for me the hard part is only beginning - try that strumming pattern for a whole song! She is awesome!

Scott

dsmarion

Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:03 am

Ok closet fans - I have to post this because I am not kidding when I said I think she is the best female vocalist of all time. Two things stand out from all the interviews I have seen. First her rhythm guitarist said in all the studio sessions, all the live shows, all the practice sessions and all the work on new material she never ever (not even once) hit a sour note. And second someone said (not sure who have to review the interviews again) that her voice was so soft that if you were in a car sitting next to her with the radio playing and she was singing along you wouldn't even hardly be able to hear her. And this fact is why she sounds so good miked because she can be right on top of it where you hear every single nuance and it sounds absolutely incredible. Not to mention her incredible range. Enjoy.

Scott

dsmarion

Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:21 am

Ok gonna add one more - forgot about her but if you like flamenco style - wow.

lueders

Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:04 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
I've been meaning to get into this, but Suzi is already ahead of me and I couldn't have said it any better! :) ;)

suziko wrote:

Again, there are many easy-to-play songs already in the Target catalogue so I don't see why an easy-to-play song by a female artist that people would like to learn should be excluded just because it's easy-to-play. And, like Shel said, I imagine more women guitarists would be attracted to the Target program if there were more female-friendly songs to choose from.

Suzi
Edit: Actually, I just can't believe that this needs to be said in the first place...@#$%#$%
I concur...
Not, to stir anything up here. But yeah an easy song is an easy song. A difficult song is a difficult song. A great song is a great song...irregardless of who it is done by. And I think we all recognize this fact. (Or at least, I hope so.) And TG certainly has never excluded a GREAT song, easy or difficult song in the past...solely on the basis of easy or hard.

We wouldn't have a slew of EASIER songs like: Blowin' in the Wind, Mr. Jones, Rock N' Roll Girls, Good Riddance, Closer to Fine, Should I stay or Should I Go?, Feelin' Alright, a complete Buffet package, or a gazillion others if that were the case.

The female songwriters package was certainly a step in the right direction. But let's face it we really could use still WAY, WAY more females represented. so many great songs out there penned by women...
(I realize this takes time however...especially since male-penned tunes have such a commanding lead!)

The ratio doesn't lie. Like Michele said, adding more female penned tunes would certainly help with TG diversity. And that is good for all of us. And the extra $$$ probably wouldn't hurt either...(also like Michele suggested.)

I thought of a couple more of my favs, while I was typing: Joan Jett & Lisa Loeb.

dtaylor

Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:26 am

I'm with you Scott, when cd's came out 'the best of the Carpenters' was one of the first that I bought. I absolutely love all those songs, Karen's voice, the arrangements of the songs, just great!

I remember on some occasion, a band playing whatever we wanted to hear, at one point 'Yesterday once more was up', and you could just grab a mike if you wanted to, wich I did with a friend, singing it in harmonies. At one point we were singing our hearts out on 'every shalalala, every wo oe oho, every shingalingaling...' and I thought, 'now lóók at us, if you think about it, this is hilárious', hahaha :laugh: ! But gosh we had só much fun, so of course added 'On top of the world' as well, aaaaah memorable times, thanks Scott! :cheer:

dsmarion wrote:
Ok closet fans - I have to post this because I am not kidding when I said I think she is the best female vocalist of all time. Two things stand out from all the interviews I have seen. First her rhythm guitarist said in all the studio sessions, all the live shows, all the practice sessions and all the work on new material she never ever (not even once) hit a sour note. And second someone said (not sure who have to review the interviews again) that her voice was so soft that if you were in a car sitting next to her with the radio playing and she was singing along you wouldn't even hardly be able to hear her. And this fact is why she sounds so good miked because she can be right on top of it where you hear every single nuance and it sounds absolutely incredible. Not to mention her incredible range. Enjoy.

Scott

thereshopeyet

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks

Hydroman52

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:28 am

So, the power is in our hands to change all of this disparity. Just like Dorothy (Wizard of Oz), we have had this all along, or at least since the “Recommend a Lesson” was added. And Dennis has started the ball rolling by pointing it out (thanks Dennis). Since I’m a firm believer in lead by example, I have recommended a few songs that are written, played, and sung by what I consider a brilliant female artist. These are songs that I have blocked out, but put on the shelf due to lack of practice time and lack of a singer that can do the songs justice.

So, everyone get on your butts and do your part! It will only take you fifteen minutes to a half hour of computer time to recommend two or three songs and get the pendulum swinging the other way!

Hydroman52

Oh . . . . . . . and don't forget to vote for the songs you want to see become lessons . . . . . .

suziko

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:37 pm

I can't believe I missed Wye Oak! Here's a great example of Jenn Wasner's brilliant guitar playing and amazing voice (the guy is the drummer. It's just the two of them in the band):

dennisg

Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:16 pm

suziko wrote:
I can't believe I missed Wye Oak! Here's a great example of Jenn Wasner's brilliant guitar playing and amazing voice (the guy is the drummer. It's just the two of them in the band):

That was absolutely terrific. I can't believe the quality of the sound they get -- outdoors no less! -- with nothing but a guitar, a kick drum, and a tambourine. Thanks for posting this, Sue.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic