I'm lusting for women!

dennisg

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:17 am

Question: What do Eva Cassidy, Stevie Nicks, Indigo Girls, Gracie Slick, Joni Mitchell, Lucinda Williams, Muriel Anderson, Mary Travers, Sheryl Crow, and Taylor Swift have in common?

Answer: They perform 16 of the roughly 300 songs that can be found in the Target program. That means that out of the total number of available Target lessons, approximately 5 percent of them are songs that were originally performed by women. Am I the only one who thinks this disparity should be addressed?

Considering the number of fantastic songs by the above-mentioned ladies (how did Carol King, Janice Ian, Alison Krauss, and Sade not make the cut?), I'd love to see a lot more songs by women and other people of their gender. I mean, there are thousands of songs about women (Little Martha, Sister Golden Hair, Alice's Restaurant), and thousands more from guys who sound like women (Roy Orbison, Neil Young, Graham Nash), and many more from bands who are named after women (Violent Femmes, Jane's Addiction, Bare Naked Ladies).

It's time we expanded the Target offerings by adding many more songs from all those awesome women who were mentioned previously and the many others that I can't think of at the moment.

Just curious. What songs, written or performed by women, would you like to see added as Target lessons?

dsmarion

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:41 am

I like your thinking. I would add Nancy Wilson, Pat Benitar, Carly Simon, Bonnie Raitt, and Janis Joplin to the list.

dennisg

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:44 am

Oy. How could I forget Bonnie Raitt? She's one of my all-time favorite artists.

suziko

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:08 am

Well, Dennis, you know I'm with you on this! Since I recently learned to play Strong Enough (not well yet, but it's getting there) I think I've tackled pretty much every song in the Target list done by a woman. Along with all the women already mentioned (please more Joni!! Please some Heart!!) I'd love to see something by Ani Difranco. She has a very unique, percussive guitar style that is hard to imitate (at least for me). I'd love to see Neil break down her style for us. And we know he's already got access to an Ani expert who could help him! :)

Suzi

wammer

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:29 am

What about adding Jann Arden to the list!

sandysue

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:43 pm

Oh gosh, is it really??! 16?? :dry:

Well I couldn't agree with you more Dennis!

For me, I'd definitely would lóve to see some stuff by Nancy Wilson (check out the 'Live at McCabes Guitarshop'-soloalbum) and/or Heart. She is such a great guitarplayer and a great singer as wel. She was the one who inspired me (10 years ago or so) to become a better guitarplayer again!

I particularly lóve her version of 'Kathy's song' (unfortunately no youtube-video, well audio-video, of that one in my country, so I can't add it, but maybe it's in your country) and the acoustic version of 'Alone' (Heart) would be great of course :cheer: :

Then again, I wouldn't be able to sing it....Nancy maybe, but Ann??!!! :blink: :S

But yeah Dennis, I'm definitely with you on this one!

sbutler

Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Bonnie Raitt would certainly add an amazing female Bluesy thing to the sight. The Heart girsl (Ann and Nancy) had some ballads that I think I could tackle.

Mellisa Ethridge is another that has some hard hitting acoustic stuff that would sure be fun.

Scott

willem

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:09 pm

On this moment and i will come back on it,,its ''true colors'',of course you can figure out songs by your own but i love alway's Neils vision,, oh Maybe ''Angel'' by SM for guitar.

Bonnie Raitt is certainly on my list too,,i love women that sing the blues,,Carly Simon too but i know only ''çlouds in my coffee'',,for me a great song,,well i don't know if that is the title or a line in that song..grey memorie but i like to fresh it up,, maybe some Joan Beaz songs...

nice thread Dennis.

suziko

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:16 pm

How about something from the Carter Family? Maybelle's style of playing called "Carter Family picking" has been copied by countless guitarists. From Wiki:

Perhaps the most remarkable of Maybelle's many talents was her skill as a guitarist. She revolutionized the instrument's role by developing a style in which she played melody lines on the bass strings with her thumb while rhythmically strumming with her fingers. Her innovative technique, to this day known as the Carter Scratch, influenced the guitar's shift from rhythm to lead instrument.

—Holly George-Warren

dennisg

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:23 pm

willem wrote:
On this moment and i will come back on it,,its ''true colors'',of course you can figure out songs by your own but i love alway's Neils vision,, oh Maybe ''Angel'' by SM for guitar.

Bonnie Raitt is certainly on my list too,,i love women that sing the blues,,Carly Simon too but i know only ''çlouds in my coffee'',,for me a great song,,well i don't know if that is the title or a line in that song..grey memorie but i like to fresh it up,, maybe some Joan Beaz songs...

nice thread Dennis.
Willem, the "clouds in my coffee" line comes from the Carly Simon song "You're so vain." When sung by a vampire, it's "You're so vein."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic