I'm lusting for women!

lueders

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:21 pm

dennisg wrote:
suziko wrote:
I can't believe I missed Wye Oak! Here's a great example of Jenn Wasner's brilliant guitar playing and amazing voice (the guy is the drummer. It's just the two of them in the band):

That was absolutely terrific. I can't believe the quality of the sound they get -- outdoors no less! -- with nothing but a guitar, a kick drum, and a tambourine. Thanks for posting this, Sue.
WOW!! Suzi, Thanks A WHOLE LOT! I really dig this!

Cori

suziko

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:42 pm

Dennis and Cori-

I'm glad you both enjoyed that clip. I am a big fan of theirs! Their new album, Civilian, is VERY good.

Suzi

Max

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:13 pm

Orianthi, The best Female guitar I've ever heard

Australian newcomer Orianthi’s melodic wailing has already been endorsed by Carlos Santana (“If I was going to pass the baton to someone, she would be my first choice,” he told the Aussie Today show) and Michael Jackson handpicked her for what would have been his comeback tour.

michelew

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:56 pm

Hydroman52 wrote:
So, the power is in our hands to change all of this disparity. Just like Dorothy (Wizard of Oz), we have had this all along, or at least since the “Recommend a Lesson” was added. And Dennis has started the ball rolling by pointing it out (thanks Dennis). Since I’m a firm believer in lead by example, I have recommended a few songs that are written, played, and sung by what I consider a brilliant female artist. These are songs that I have blocked out, but put on the shelf due to lack of practice time and lack of a singer that can do the songs justice.

So, everyone get on your butts and do your part! It will only take you fifteen minutes to a half hour of computer time to recommend two or three songs and get the pendulum swinging the other way!

Hydroman52

Oh . . . . . . . and don't forget to vote for the songs you want to see become lessons . . . . . .
Fair point Hydro. But, I have to admit that I've stopped recommending lessons because I have no idea what would make a good one or how hard the songs I enjoy are to play. I have to admit though that of recent times a lot of the material that is going up just doesn't speak to me. 'Cowboy Songs' being a fine example.

The argument about the songs being good to build techniques is a great one I'm sure. But, if the song doesn't grab my attention then I'm not even going to open the lesson. Actually, it would be good to have an index of the techniques that are included in the various songs so we could deliberately decide to learn the song so that we can improve the skill.

Hydro - you're missing one of the points here a little I think. Being a bloke you may not get it completely. That's cool. Still the fact that TG membership has the potential to be more diverse if the song selection is more diverse remains a reasonable argument.

So the basic request here is please give us a bit more diversity and consider putting up more songs by women because chances are that as women they will be ones that we will want to learn. Chances are that many of the male TG members will appreciate the change too.

ta

Michele

michelew

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:58 pm

suziko wrote:
I can't believe I missed Wye Oak! Here's a great example of Jenn Wasner's brilliant guitar playing and amazing voice (the guy is the drummer. It's just the two of them in the band):

Sue,

I really enjoyed this. Thanks for the recommendation. She's got a great voice and I love her playing.

Note to self must start using hammer-ons. This doesn't look that complex in the scheme of things, but where the hell to start. I feel like such a *^%* baby guitar player.

Thanks,

Shel

dsmarion

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:14 am

Max, Orianthi does indeed play awesome! I would have liked to see her in the final tour videos had that happened. Slash did a fine job on this solo with MJ at Madison Sqaure Garden too but she is "spot on". Of course I still like Eddiie on the original.

Scott

willem

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:52 am

Alright, so in short the list up till now is:

Nancy Wilson
Heart
Pat Benatar
Carly Simon
Bonnie Raitt
Janis Joplin
Ani DiFranco
Jann Arden
Melissa Etherigde
Joan Baez
Joni Mitchell
The Carter Family
Carol King
Sarah McLachlan
Tracy Chapman
Dolly Parton
Tori Amos
Adele
Nanci Griffith
Carlie Brandi
Kaki King
Mountain man
Alanis Morissette
Jewel
Mary Chapin Carpenter
The Carpenters
Banadoura d'Or
Charo
Wye Oak
Orianthi

(sorry if I've missed one and I didn't check spelling either!)

Well that's quite a list....with I'm sure easy songs and not so easy songs and enough techniques to learn from those, or piano songs (although after the 'Take on me'-lesson, I believe ány song can be transcribed to the guitar.).........so...

So I'm actually quite curious whý there are only 16 songs out of 300 done by females in the Targetprogram.....does anyone has an answer to that?? I'd sure like to know.

Ness

lueders

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:18 pm

Vanessa would I be out of line to add to our/your list? I been thinking about it and I thought of a BUNCH more?

EDIT: Ah, Heck you're Vanessa...I'm sure you won't mind. I am not trying to one up your list or anything I just thought I might as well throw these out here while I was looking @ my CD collections & thinking of 'em.
Here goes:

Natalie Merchant...her solo stuff & her 10 Thousand Maniacs stuff was Great!

Edie Brickell...What I Am is one of my favorite tunes

Suzzane Vega..Tom's Diner or Marlene on the Wall anyone?

Joan Jett...I mentioned her before. I just love Joan Jett

Lisa Loeb..."Stay" (Totally original/unique song from the 90s) She has lots of others too...

K.D. Lang...I would like to learn some Constant Craving, for sure!

Loretta Lynn- The Coal Miner's daughter! & Love her stuff with Jack White of White Stripes & Raconteurs fame!

Cyndi Lauper... Who writes better songs than Cyndi? I know John thinks so!

Portishead...Female fronted band..this album blew my mind!!!! Check it out there is nothing like it!!

Sinead O'Connor...I love her and I am not ashamed to admit it. So many great songs!!! I love all most all of 'em.

Kate Bush...great songwriter! She is a big influence on Tori Amos!

* Grace Slick- we have "white rabbit" maybe we can build on that...

Anais Mitchell- "Hadestown" is brilliant

Juliana Hatfield...Spin the bottle, and lots of others from the 90s

PJ Harvey...her early stuff was brilliant!

The Bangles...I secretly love "Manic Monday" It is a great song! (Lot of other hits)

The Go Gos..Lot's of great stuff

Bananarama
...Cruel Summer, indeed! it is almost over

Veruca Salt...They have some nice rockers with great lyrics..

The Breeders...There song "Cannonball" is one of the most unique guitar tones I have ever heard.

The Wailin Jenny's
...Their stuff is as good as anybody's.

Amie Mann...She's so good, I can't believe I forgot to mention her before!

Chrissy Hynde/Pretenders
...another who writes and plays as good as anyone!

Luscious Jackson...I had a cassette of this I wore out! Anyone who has never heard them. Check 'em out!

4 Non Blondes
...Everybody sang along to What's Up at least once. great SONG!

Allannaha Myles...BLACK VELVET!!!

lueders

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:55 pm

Pléase do my friend!! ;)

lueders wrote:
Vanessa would I be out of line to add our/your list? I be thinking about it and I thought of a BUNCH more?

willem

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:05 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Alright, so in short the list up till now is:

Nancy Wilson
Heart
Pat Benatar
Carly Simon
Bonnie Raitt
Janis Joplin
Ani DiFranco
Jann Arden
Melissa Etherigde
Joan Baez
Joni Mitchell
The Carter Family
Carol King
Sarah McLachlan
Tracy Chapman
Dolly Parton
Tori Amos
Adele
Nanci Griffith
Carlie Brandi
Kaki King
Mountain man
Alanis Morissette
Jewel
Mary Chapin Carpenter
The Carpenters
Banadoura d'Or
Charo
Wye Oak
Orianthi

(sorry if I've missed one and I didn't check spelling either!)

Well that's quite a list....with I'm sure easy songs and not so easy songs and enough techniques to learn from those, or piano songs (although after the 'Take on me'-lesson, I believe ány song can be transcribed to the guitar.).........so...

So I'm actually quite curious whý there are only 16 songs out of 300 done by females in the Targetprogram.....does anyone has an answer to that?? I'd sure like to know.

Ness
And i geuss there are plenty of them in the recommend a lesson ??? and can search on there name??

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic