Gibson raided by Feds, big story, comments and thoughts here..

willem

Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:10 pm

TwoCatSam wrote:
Anyone own a Lexus? A Jag? Infinity? Hey, even a Buick has some truly nice wood in the cockpit. Wonder where it came from? My wife and I own a rather nice Lexus. Hope I don't have to prove where that wood came from.

I have a friend with a wooden leg...........

OK, thanks! I'm nuts again!

:blink:
Nuts but i like it,, gee ''á wooden leg'' how was it put on,with smurf poop??

wrench

Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks for posting the video, Matt. Unfortunately, it raises more questions than it answers. I get from the video that Gibson assumes the problem is Indian rosewood and ebony fingerboard blanks, but in fact, were not told in the raid warrant or by the marshals what crime they are suspected of. I hope this stays in the press until something factual develops.

buddy

Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:58 pm

If this does turn out to be a raid over the Indian woods and not some other issue, then this event demonstrates everything that is wrong in America today. What I see over and over again are these abuses of power under the guise of government compliance. The U.S. Constitution was designed to protect the individual and the small guy from the tyranny of the majority. In this case. Gibson appears to be suffering from the tyranny of a small minority in some obscure government agency. These bureaucratic workers in these agencies wield tremendous power and when you piss them off they will not hesitate to retaliate.

My 2 cents,

Bud

millponddave

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:16 pm

OK, While I am generally suspicious of large corporations, It seems that a company such as Gibson would not choose to obtain materials in such a manner that would put their entire operation at risk. In this day and age of litigation and regulation most companies go out of their way to cross the t's and dot the i's. And while I do support reasonable regulations that protect the environment as well as workers, I also believe that regulatory agencies tend to run wild if they too are not regulated.This seems to me a perfect example. If the wood in question was allowed out out India, then I have to assume that their laws were followed. I will be following this story with great interest. It makes me want to run out and buy a new Gibson as a show of support. (any excuse to get a new guitar right?)

Dave

thereshopeyet

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks

suziko

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:11 pm

If this ruthless attack on Gibson doesn't make you sick, stick around! If they can do it to Gibson, they can do it to anyone. And they will. What ever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

Did anyone hear how the gentleman said other guitar makers were afraid to come forward in Gibson's defense--"stick up their hand"--or they might be "shot at"?

Honestly, could anyone blame Gibson for packing up and moving to Elbonia? I really must quit thinking about that and go on vacation.

Yes, willem, he holds the leg on with Smurf poop. The uses for that stuff are endless.........

wrench

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:02 pm

I read a collection of articles yesterday before Irene knocked my cable out. One of them noted the reason for the 2009 raid was because of a German distributor from whom Gibson bought Madagascar Ebony. This distributor was accused of poaching the ebony and supplying it with false certifictions to his customers. It is unclear if he was ever charged, but he may be the distributor from whom Gibson bought the Indian products in last week's raid. Regardless of how this plays out, it appears Gibson did nothing wrong. If no other guitar makers use this distributor, it could explain why Gibson is the only manufacturer targeted. If I can find that article again, I'll post a link to it here.

If a distributor in another country committed a crime, then it's entirely rational to try to recover illegal goods, but treating Gibson, who did nothing wrong, to an armed raid is criminal unto itself and has no place in the American justice system. Shame on you DOJ! I know darn well you have better things to do!

The Lacey Act is out of control. There are legitimate business people sitting in prison right now over the most ridiculous things you could imagine. Google the Lacey Act, and you will be stunned.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:25 pm

Edit: Changed my mind on posting my comment!

thereshopeyet

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:51 pm

Thanks

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:04 pm

Yes I am absolved of all previous sins Dermot! I just need to change my Avatar :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic