nobody loves Irene !!!

skaladar

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:45 pm

I’m a little late chiming in here but the last week has been hectic to say the least. I AM indeed counting my blessings because when I see the devastation around me I realize I got off very lucky. I live in New York City but I work 35 miles to the East on Long Island. I only had minor damage to my house but my garage took a bit of a beating. My place of business didn’t fare so well. It’s situated as far north on LI as you could be without being in the water. We fully expected the seawall to be breached and weren’t proven wrong. The latter part of last week was spent madly rushing to prep for the worst. For me that meant backing up all the servers and client computers off site as well as establishing mobile access and communications for key company personnel. That proved to be the right thing to do because a number of people were evacuated from their homes during the storm itself. We weren’t able to return to the building until power was restored yesterday. Even though we got flooded out the damage was contained and not nearly as bad as some of the footage I have been seeing on the news. I hope to have all systems up and running by the beginning of next week. If I never hear another chain saw as long as I live it will be too soon!

Needless to say I have some catching up to do on what’s been happening here now that I have some downtime so don’t be surprised if you see some threads popping to the top. I’m a little surprised at how much I missed logging in here to keep up with things when it’s been less than a week. I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing :-)

In any event, thanks for the concern Willem and everyone else. I’m very happy to hear everyone is alright.

♫ Ken ♫

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic