Wooden guitar stands

pbraun

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Well once again I am fumbling my way through trying to post a couple of photos. It has only worked once for me , and I am having doubts as to if this will work. I did post them to my profile if they don't so you can see what I am talking about.
Besides trying to learn the guitar (and now to sing??), I like to do wood work as well. I have a fairly equipped shop and it seems to call me when the weather begins to cool down.
A few years ago I built a stand or a rack to hold my guitars, that is in one of the photos, a fairly easy project, and I modeled it after one I saw on line.
The other holds my Strat. I also modeled it after one I saw on line. I engraved it with the Fender logo, and as you might see from the side view the sides are shaped like a guitar. It actually holds the guitar well, even though there is no neck support.
I am wondering of anyone else has built or has a wooden guitar stand. I would love to see a photo of it to see if I could build it. I saw on a few of the Fly On The Wall lessons that Neil has one in the cabin, it looks like it has a turned connector from the base to the top of the neck support, with maybe a top that holds picks capos and ect.--Neil I love to see a photo of that one.

Anyway if you know of any, please let me know, I have a feeling I could have a few fun projects ahead.

I hope these photos upload, if not they should be in on me profile page
Thanks
Pete

pbraun

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Well ok I got 3 of the same photos but that's a start

pbraun

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:51 pm

and the 3rd
Sorry,
Pete

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Pete:

As a lover of woodworking, I enjoyed these quite a bit. I miss doing projects like that. Those were very nice. I have been thinking about building a nice rack of some sort for our house as well. With my son taking lessons and my horrible case of G.A.S., we have guitars stuck in every corner of the living room..... :)

I was thinking about some sort of wall rack/case mostly to keep them off the floor and away my my gigantic dog. Do you have any close-ups of the neck rests on the bigger stand? I like the color combo there. Also, what type of wood did you use?

MJ

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Do you have any close-ups of the neck rests on the bigger stand? I like the color combo there.
Never mind, clicked on the pic and it enlarged very well....Duh....

Guitarmom

Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:07 pm

Pete,

These look great! I can appreciate the time and love you put ino these. :P
My father loved working with wood. I remember going into his shop just to enjoy the aroma of freshly sawn wood, intermingled with the smoke from his pipe. This weekend my spouse is in the process of designing a stand for nana's bowl back mandolin.
Thanks for posting these!

Rev Kate

millponddave

Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Sweet. Holds your guitars in style!

Dave

AndyT

Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:17 am

Very nice Pete. Maybe you could design a special one for TG and offer it as a prize?

pbraun

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:45 am

Thanks to all that have looked at these. I am really fishing for ideas so if anyone has a photo of one I'd really like to see it.

MJ- I used OAK to build the rack and then stained it a dark oak color. The light color is felt, so the guitars don't rest against wood. The smaller one is built from cherry and then just a clear finish. I used the small silicone/rubber door cushions like they used on cabinet doors to keep the guitar from the wood.

Dave- Hey thanks!

Rev Kate- Thanks, wood shops can be special. My Grandkids (4 boys and now a Girl) have all come a built something over the years. Every December one set of the boys come.spend the weekend and we build Pine Wood Derby cars. The first one we built came in second in speed and first in show, my Grandson was so happy. I hope they have those memories for many years as well.

Andy- Great idea, I would be proud off up something like that!

Pete

haoli25

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:37 am

Great job, Pete. Those look really nice. Have you ever tried marquetry? The inlays are really not that hard to do and I think you would enjoy it.

I was thinking you could buy an ebony bowl blank (not too expensive) and use that to make an inlay treble clef, 1/8 notes, etc. (or any other simple design) for the guitar stands. OR, you could add ebony bowties at the joints? That would look great on Oak or Cherry. Take 'em to a guitar show and I bet you coud sell a lot of them.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic