>> So if we created a new theory course...

BigBear

Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:50 am

sbutler wrote:
Matt, I don't know if you or Neil would consider playing solos as fitting under theory, but I think there is more to a good solo than imagination. Knowing where to be when chord changes are happening seems to fit this catagory.

Scott

Matt- I'm with Scott on this one. Neil has teased us a bit with Chord Soloing but the hardest thing about soloing isn't hitting the right notes in a scale pattern but putting them together to make something musical sounding. This could lead to blues, jazz, country, bluegrass, folk and rock soloing which all have slightly different styles and techniques.

Not sure this qualifies as theory but more practical application of theory.

:cheer:

AndyT

Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:09 am

Along the lines of Scott and Rick, I'm looking for some 'practical' exercises to work on that will allow me to pick a 'mini solo' or chord note run in a song.

abiliog

Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:54 am

Matt,
I think it would be interesting to know more about guitar solo, how to apply a solo into a chord progression, switching scales along the solo, etc.
Some theory related to jazz music should be also interesting.
Song writing, maybe.
But any theory lessons are always welcome :) although I am late to some of the them already available :blush:
so I got some work to do,
Abilio

wrench

Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:14 am

I'm guilty of over using the phrase "you don't know what you don't know". I think it applies to the Acoustic Genius series. As one who has logged MANY hours in there, I feel that I've learned so much more than I ever expected, but I still do not have fluent command of all of its content. I don't think this is a flaw or deficiency of Acoustic Genius; I think it is just a lack of application of all that information. As I read all of the previous comments, I can agree to every single one, but I can also see that most of the suggestions could be compilations of subjects that were already mentioned in Acoustic Genius, but in a more structured form.

Bottom line here is I don't care what TG chooses to present, we will learn it and apply it. Guaranteed to bring a smile to this face. Although, I share some of the same interests as other posters - more chord solo, songwriting, a jazz module similar to the blues series, how to apply key changes in a song, borrowed chords, etc. On the chord solo theme, I would like to hear Neil elaborate on the use of small chords up neck for leads and solos.

dekotaj

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:10 pm

I got to go with most everyone else,soloing sounded great when Neil mentioned it a couple of weeks ago.I was wondering when he said something like,sometime down the road??The mans made a lot of promises???Might take a life time to keep them all??

Kevin

sbutler

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:34 pm

The search engine/index thing would be a great thing for the theory lessons, as well as other things in this site. We've gotten so much stuff now, some of it is cumbersome to find.

But back to theory, I would imagine from a very new beginners perspective, a step by step progression, or map to follow that Neil thinks would improve ones skills quicker, may be something to think about. Right now there is so much stuff, that it could be overwhelming.

Scott

rdaltry

Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:49 pm

1. harmonics

2. two-part guitar with fills, "comping" etc (see for an example)

3. more advanced acoustic blues (more delta, memphis, chicago style than country style that was already covered)

4. how to make more time to play guitar... 8-)

thereshopeyet

Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:49 pm

Thanks

TGMatt

Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:05 pm

The soloing course is already in the pipeline as I mentioned above, Im looking for the "what else"...

For instance..

Harmonics ?

Reading Music ??

Writing music ??

Scales ??

Practice ??

I could go on..but lets see the debate and thought coming

heatndude

Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:43 pm

I would like to see some scale patterns

How to put them together (maybe a little jam track ?)

More of a visual of the patterns ?

I have been trying to figure out the minor pentatonic patterns for a while but would be nice to have a little jam tracks from Neil or someone in a certain key then maybe work up to changing keys during the jam etc..

Maybe some tab to go along with it for practice.

Sorry may seem basic but I wish I had started on this a long time ago !

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic