If it came up for Auction How much?

sbutler

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:26 pm

Thats an amazing number Chas.

I've seen Clapton do some BBC interviews and he is as common as dirt. Just a normal guy with certain skills. There are videos of him,all over Youtube, playing at those fundraising concerts, and he looks like he just changed the oil in his tractor most of the time. There is no frill or show biz, just doing good for people in need.

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:45 pm

michelew wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
Who knows, maybe with the right combination of good guitars and practice, maybe one of yours will be worth this much...

... and

How much would you be willing to pay for a guitar?
Well the first statement is downright hilarious. The second - well not enough to ever own a famous guitarist's guitar that's for sure. I guess you have to be obsessed and a serious collector to pay that much. But, the saying "more money than sense" comes to mind. Seriously ... some people are really doing it rough in the world and yet someone is prepared to spend millions for dollars for a small piece of wood and steel that they will probably never play because it's too precious. I find it a bit obscene actually. HOw much of a difference could you do to many, many people's lives for $3.7 million or even $450,000 for that matter.

Sorry to be a kill joy Chas. Best to return to the original program.

Dream on, perhaps you could own a Clapton one day!

Sorry Chas - I didn't get very far before I responded to your thread. I notice now that some of these have raised serious money for good courses. So I guess charity, doing good and obsession can go together for a win-win-win. Sorry for the rant.

Shel
No worries Shel, you are quite correct in some instances where it is purely self indulgence.

jimbo58

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:57 am

That is so interesting and well researched Chas, thanks very much. It is posts like this that,(amongst other things ) that make TG the best guitar site on the net.

pbraun

Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:42 am

Chas,
Very interesting, and my guess would be, the person purchasing them never plucked a string or played a note. The guitar in encased and hanging on a wall! Where it probably needs to be.
Pete

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic