If it came up for Auction How much?

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:09 pm

18 August 2009
Top 10: Expensive Guitars

Before we begin, remember that spending more money does not necessarily always mean you're getting a better instrument - Eric Clapton built his guitar Blackie (number 3 on this list) from 3 $100 Strats, and sold it for $959,000 dollars. You can pick up an excellent instrument for a reasonable price if you know what you're doing.

Who knows, maybe with the right combination of good guitars and practice, maybe one of yours will be worth this much...

10. 1949 Fender Broadcaster prototype - $375,000 Image
Not much of a looker, is it? But don't let appearances deceive you; this is a very important guitar. Leo Fender's first solid body prototype became the template for one of the most popular guitars ever built (later dubbed the Fender Telecaster - sound familiar?). Although Les Paul was quicker off the mark in making the first solid body guitar, this particular model was key to the fortunes of the worlds most successful electric guitar companies, and as such is of great historical importance.

Sold to a private collector in 1994, for $375,000, the highest price ever paid for a guitar at the time.

9. Eric Clapton's Gold Leaf Stratocaster - $455, 550 Image
Now this is more like it! Ordered by Eric Clapton in 1996, around the time of Fender's 50th anniversary. Clapton reportedly wanted something that could hang in a museum like the Louvre, and Fender delivered with a Custom Strat, plated with 23k gold. It later went into production, becoming the company's first signature guitar.

The original was sold at auction by Christie's for an impressive $455,000 in 1997.

8. George and John's 1964 Gibson SG - $570,000 Image
This guitar was used by The Beatles between 1966 and 1969. George Harrison used it while recording and touring the album Revolver, while John Lennon used it during sessions for the White album. It was given away by George to Peter Ham, of the rock band Badfinger, and after his death lay undiscovered until 2002.

It was sold to an anonymous bidder at auction in 2004, for a staggering $570,000.

7. "Lenny" - Stevie Ray Vaughan's 1965 Fender Composite Stratocaster - $623,500 Image
The great blues guitarist received Lenny from his wife in 1980 as a 26th birthday present, and named it after her. It was one of his favourite guitars, and he used it extensively until his untimely death in 1990. The SRV stickers on the body of this guitar were a trademark of the majority of Stevie Ray Vaughan's guitars, a habit he picked up from brother Jimmie who started this trend before him. In 2004 this became the first and only one of his guitars that has ever been released for sale by his estate, to raise money for charity.

It raised $623,500 at auction to benefit the Crossroads Centre in Antigua.

6. Eric Clapton's C.F. Martin & Co., circa 1939 - $791,500 Image
This is a C.F. Martin & Company style 000-42 acoustic guitar circa 1939. It was the primary instrument used by Eric Clapton when his MTV unplugged special was recorded. It's smaller than a standard acoustic, and has fewer frets - optimised for finger picking and blues. It's final sale price was a cool $791,500.

5. Eric Clapton's 1964 Gibson ES0335 TDC - $847,500 Image
Another one of Clapton's guitars makes the top ten. The reason for this is that he is one of the few renowned guitarists who does actually sell their guitars - usually to raise money for the Crossroads Rehabilitation Centre. There are definitely guitars out there (belonging to Jimmy Page, Van Halen and so on) that could fetch more if they were sold, but they haven't been put up for sale as yet.

This guitar was used by Clapton primarily during 1964, but only rarely after that. It fetched the highest price ever paid for a Gibson when auctioned.

4. Blackie - Stratocaster hybrid - $959,500 Image
In 1970, due to the influence of Jimi Hendrix among others, Eric Clapton decided to make the switch from Gibson guitars to Stratocasters. Clapton bought 6 vintage Strats from a guitar shop in Texas for a hundred dollars each. He gave three away (to George Harrison, Pete Townshend and Steve Winwood) and then assembled the best parts of the remaining three (c. 1956 and 1957) into a single strat, which he christened 'Blackie' due to its dark finish.
Clapton played Blackie for the first time in January 1973, and continued to do so until it was retired in 1985 due to neck issues. A tribute model was made by Fender to Clapton's exact specifications.
Blackie was sold at auction in 2004, and became the world's most expensive guitar at $959,000. Proceeds from the sale (as with the other Clapton guitars on this list) went to the Crossroads Centre, a rehab centre founded by Clapton. It was purchased by US music store Guitar Center.

3. Bob Marley's Custom made Washburn 22 series Hawk - estimated $1.2 to 2 million Image
Classified as a national treasure by the Jamaican government, this guitar is one of only 7 guitars that the reggae icon owned in his lifetime. On the 21st of November, 1971, after a gig in Vancouver, Marley gave the guitar to his guitar tech Gary Carlsen with the words, "Take it because you'll understand later". Admirably, Carlsen took this as a sign that he should use the gift he had been given to better the world in some way, and so he set up the charity "Different Journeys, One Destination", offering the guitar as a prize in a lottery.

Carlsen reportedly recieved an offer of $5 million from a Jamaican millionaire, but I have used the more conservative estimate given by Sotheby's auction house of $1.2 to $2 million.

2. Jimi Hendrix's 1968 Stratocaster - rumoured $2 million Image
This guitar illustrates the point I made earlier about Eric Clapton's position on the list being under threat from equally renowned guitarists instruments' being released for sale. Hendrix played this guitar at Woodstock in 1969.

From 1970 until 1990 it was in the possession of his drummer Mitch Mitchell, before surfacing in 1990 at the opening of the new Fender Artist Centre complete with cigarette burns on the headstock, and Jimi's trademark upside down stringing. It sold at Sotheby's in the same year for $198,000.

Rumour has it that Paul Allen (Bill Gates' right hand man at Microsoft) paid 2 million dollars for this guitar in 1998. There no telling what it could be worth now.

1. Reach out to Asia Fender Stratocaster - $3.7 million Image
This guitar was sold at auction in Qatar in 2005, to raise funds for Reach out to Asia, a charity set up to help tsunami victims. Co-ordinated by Bryan Adams, it is signed by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Brian May, Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Jeff Beck, Pete Townsend, Mark Knopfler, Ray Davis, Liam Gallagher, Ronnie Wood, Tony Iommi, Angus & Malcolm Young, Paul McCartney, Sting, Ritchie Blackmore, Def Leppard, and Bryan Adams himself. It was initially by the Qatari Royal family for $1 million and then donated back to the charity, after which it was sold again for a price of $2.7 million, meaning that this guitar has generated a total of $3.7 million dollars for charity.

This guitar has set an impressive benchmark, and I think its one thats unlikely to be overtaken. What do you think? Is there a guitarist who could raise more money by selling their beloved instruments? How much would you be willing to pay for a guitar

Thanks to the Nitty Gritty Guitar Book. Though this was a mission to get the correct photos.

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:25 pm

After much editing finally got this looking right. I reckon SRV's No 1 Strat would go for quite a high price Image

michelew

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:27 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Who knows, maybe with the right combination of good guitars and practice, maybe one of yours will be worth this much...

... and

How much would you be willing to pay for a guitar?
Well the first statement is downright hilarious. The second - well not enough to ever own a famous guitarist's guitar that's for sure. I guess you have to be obsessed and a serious collector to pay that much. But, the saying "more money than sense" comes to mind. Seriously ... some people are really doing it rough in the world and yet someone is prepared to spend millions for dollars for a small piece of wood and steel that they will probably never play because it's too precious. I find it a bit obscene actually. HOw much of a difference could you do to many, many people's lives for $3.7 million or even $450,000 for that matter.

Sorry to be a kill joy Chas. Best to return to the original program.

Dream on, perhaps you could own a Clapton one day!

Sorry Chas - I didn't get very far before I responded to your thread. I notice now that some of these have raised serious money for good courses. So I guess charity, doing good and obsession can go together for a win-win-win. Sorry for the rant.

Shel

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:31 pm

michelew wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:

... and

Well the first statement is downright hilarious. The second - well not enough to ever own a famous guitarist's guitar that's for sure. I guess you have to be obsessed and a serious collector to pay that much. But, the saying "more money than sense" comes to mind. Seriously ... some people are really doing it rough in the world and yet someone is prepared to spend millions for dollars for a small piece of wood and steel that they will probably never play because it's too precious. I find it a bit obscene actually. HOw much of a difference could you do to many, many people's lives for $3.7 million or even $450,000 for that matter.

I think you need to check out this link high end guitars can do some good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12695811

Clapton has used his and others guitars for charitable causes. If I had the wherewithal and knew the proceeds were going to a decent charity yes I would buy one of Clapton's guitars

michelew

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Chas, see above. I read your thread in more detail after posting. I now think that some of these collectors are dong just that...using their wealth for good as well as getting some seriously interesting toys. I spoke to soon. How unusual. My bad. I return the soap box to you.

Chasplaya wrote:
michelew wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:

... and

I think you need to check out this link high end guitars can do some good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12695811

Clapton has used his and others guitars for charitable causes. If I had the wherewithal and knew the proceeds were going to a decent charity yes I would buy one of Clapton's guitars

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:39 pm

Just a note nearly $9 million US of the value of these top ten guitars went to charity.

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:45 pm

The inspiration for this thread came from Beakers Jerry Garcia Best Guitarist thread. I checked out what happened to Jerry's guitars and discovered the value and where at least one of them ended up Jim Irsay CEO of the Indianapolis Colts purchased 'Tiger' for $US850,000, this is a self indulgent collector who also owns guitars that once belonged to Elvis and George Harrison.

sbutler

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:58 pm

Wow Chas, it only took you about .23 seconds to fire Michelle up eh?:cheer: But I get her point totally. I get yours as well.

Those are remarkable prices for those guitars, and I suppose if someones whims can afford such things, so be it. 9 million bucks is not chump change going to all those charitys.

The sad thing is that we have millions of folks who need support and charity, and there are so few that can afford $900,000 for a guitar.

I'm glad you posted this though, wondered where these things ended up after they are worn out.

Scott

michelew

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:02 pm

sbutler wrote:
Wow Chas, it only took you about .23 seconds to fire Michelle up eh?:cheer: ...

Scott
Yes - I do bite WAY TOO easily and quickly sometimes, especially after too much coffee. :S Oops!

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:10 pm

Just for interests sake Clapton's 3 auctions have raised almost $15 million for charity. Maybe if more artists did this the world could be a better place.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic