A sad day for tree huggers............

BigBear

Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:45 am

The General Sherman, the largest tree in the world, fell to its death a couple of days ago. There was a video on NBC, but I can't find it on Utube.

These giants die a natural death by simply growing too tall. They become top heavy and topple.

All my life I wanted to see the Sequoias and redwoods. I almost waited too long.

(If anyone has the video, please post it.)

Sam Image

Hydroman52

Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:27 am

Try this.

General Sherman tips over - TIMBER!!!!

I cut firewood every year and frequently drop large dead oak trees. You don't even have to be very close to a falling tree to be injured or killed. As a tree like this falls, other trees in its path can bend as the falling one contacts them. This loads them with the energy from the falling tree. When things finally let loose, it can act like a giant slingshot and launch all kinds of debris (limbs, leaves, pine cones, squirrels) in all directions. The guy that shot this video was very fortunate. A once in a lifetime event that he will probably tell his grandchildren about for a long time to come.

Hydroman52

Ooops . . . . . ME STOOPID! I just read a little more on this video, and it isn't the General Sherman. It is a different one that fell on September 30th. The tree in the video was only 240 feet tall and Sherman is 275 feet. Still . . . . . . . . a giant sequoia lying on its side is probably quite a sight to see. So . . . . . . . take this video and add another 14.58% and you should have General Sherman.

dekotaj

Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Dose a tree falling in the forest make a sound if no one is there???That old oxymoron should be put to rest,Cuz I beat that baby made one hack of a sound!!The bigger there are the harder they fall.LOL

Think of all the guitars that tree could make!

Kevin

dekotaj

Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Gentlemen

No, that was not the video on NBC. It was a woman from (?) that shot it.

Two questions answered:

"If a tree falls....etc, etc"

I am reading the book "THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON MUSIC". Sound is a mental image and needs some animal brain to record that image. A tree falling with no ear to hear it only creates vibrations. (p.24)

Next: In the video, at the top, they say the tree falls for no known reason. The rangers in Yosemite compare it to stacking dominoes. You can only stack so high and gravity will bow the stack and down it comes. Giant redwoods and Sequoias get a large portion of their moisture from fog. The weight of the condensation on the upper branches can contribute to its falling.

The General Sherman was not the tallest tree, but largest by volume.

I also wondered how many guitars.....

The book is a tough read, but worth it.

Being in those forests, among those Giants, is a humbling experience. When I'm dead, I'd love to be planted at the foot of one and become fertilizer.

TCS

sbutler

Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Well I don't know about Sequoias, but I was hiding in the woods, duck hunting one time, and a tree that didn't know I was there, fell over. It made a lot of noise.

Music Junkie

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:14 am

Been to see those trees many times in my life. Spent lots of time trout fishing up in the mountains around there. They are quite beautiful.

We were in camp in the eastern Sierras about 5 years ago when an old dead (struck by lightning and burned out) Jefferson Pine decided to give way with a thundering crack. After cleaning my shorts out and realizing how lucky we were that it fell away from camp, we decided that it was pretty neat to have been there to witness it. The tree was probably only 100 feet tall or so, but the earth shook around us and the neighboring trees took some damage. When I take my boys up each year, they like to go see it and ask questions about it. I am truly glad that they were not with me on that trip and were not playing around when it went..... Scary thought...

MJ

BigBear

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:31 pm

dekotaj wrote:
Dose a tree falling in the forest make a sound if no one is there???That old oxymoron should be put to rest,Cuz I beat that baby made one hack of a sound!!The bigger there are the harder they fall.LOL

Think of all the guitars that tree could make!

Kevin

Kevin- I think it was a Bb!! :silly:

frybaby

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:21 pm

Closely related to the " of a tree fall in the woods with no one around to hear it" .... or maybe no so closely related to the question, is the question.... I a man in walking in the wood talking to himself with no woman around to hear him,....... is he still wrong?

Music Junkie

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:26 pm

frybaby wrote:
Closely related to the " of a tree fall in the woods with no one around to hear it" .... or maybe no so closely related to the question, is the question.... I a man in walking in the wood talking to himself with no woman around to hear him,....... is he still wrong?
That is just plain funny...... :silly: :silly:

AndyT

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:51 pm

frybaby wrote:

The answer is Yes. At least my wife says so...

We saw the video of the tree falling (caught on tape by a couple of German tourists) and I made the comment about using it to make guitars, and the comment I got in return told me I was still very wrong. LOL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic