Lyrics that tell it like it is?. . .You were Right when you said:

lueders

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:24 pm

I saw this band on Conan's old show a few years back...

The sentiment I believe Built to Spill (in their tune "You Were Right") is trying to express is that Rock N' Roll itself, is this living breathing entity. I think anyone who REALLY loves classic rock & rock in general (like darn near all of us TGers ) can relate to this song on some level. In fact, this song always makes me think of TG. I mean, after all many of us are here because we scoured the internet trying to figure out how to play these tunes?

Being the type of goofball/flake that literally looked for the meaning of life in old Pink Floyd & Led Zeppelin songs. This tune really hits home for me. Its about growing up. & Lets face it those growing up years are tied to specific songs...and more specifically the melodies & the lyrics that go with 'em.

What lyrics resonate for you in specific times in your life? Do any seem more naive today?

I like the song but I didn't think Built to Spill went far enough with the concept.. so I been messing with this for a possible T-shirt or a large scale poster design... You can't read it all obviously, but you get the idea...

EDIT: Just had a thought... I would like to add that I really enjoy B.T.S. concept because the sheer hubris of the idea... reducing the lyrics to right/wrong absolutes is sort of entertaining and comical in itself...but then again maybe it is just me. LOL!

songman52

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:40 pm

Cool, I like your poster. I might disagree with one or two lines but overall I LIKE.

Jerry

lueders

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:00 am

Thanks Jerry! Any favorite lyrical wisdoms?

tovo

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:30 am

I have always liked the line (which is on your t-template Cori) "Life goes on...long after the thrill of living is gone". Certainly a very pessimistic line, but a clever one I think from the Melloncamp. (Which, I like to point out, is where watermelons and rockmelons go on holidays)

lueders

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:49 am

tovo wrote:
I have always liked the line (which is on your t-template Cori) "Life goes on...long after the thrill of living is gone". Certainly a very pessimistic line, but a clever one I think from the Melloncamp. (Which, I like to point out, is where watermelons and rockmelons go on holidays)
:) "Mellon"camp good one! Where melons go to learn to grow or just chill...

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:24 am

You are right Cori, they didn't take the concept far enough... could have cleaned up big time if they had.

Funny Tony mentions John Mellencamp's line, that sticks with me too. There must have been a string of these lyrics plastered across the bedroom walls of my childhood thinking (there's a line for a song, maybe!) especially from the Beatles (she loves you yeah, yeah, yeah and I wanna hold your hand) and later from the Moody Blues. The statements about the damage we are inflicting on Mother Earth have always stuck with me most... along with the romantic stuff.

Men's mighty mind machines digging underground
Steeling rare minerals where they can be found
Concrete caves with iron doors bury it again
While a starving frightened world fills the see with grain

- Moody Blues, How Is It We Are Here

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot
- Joni Mitchel, Big Yellow Taxi (I've been playing this a lot recently in open D)

Be what you want to be, what you deserve to be
What you were meant to be

- Moody Blues, Simple Game

And the sound we make together
Is the music to the story in your eyes

- Moody Blues, The Story in your Eyes

Over a barrel, under a spell
Money's the daemon that drives you
Limping through heaven
Or running through Hell
Happiness smiles but denies you.

- Dan Fogelberg, Times Like These

Lyrics that stick with us are very powerful ... I'm convinced that such anchored thoughts influence our behaviour in no small way.

MarkM

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:07 am

That would make a fine T-shirt. I can see a hoard following you around in the mall trying to read every word.

Try Spreadshirts.com and see what they'd charge. They're good.

Would post my lyric, but can't decide the rightness or wrongness of it.

TCS

dsmarion

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:13 am

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older
And shorter of breath and one day closer to death
- Pink Floyd, Time

Scott

lueders

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:24 am

Chris & Tony, I'll have to agree. . . that Mellencamp line definitely sticks in the grey matter.

-Those are some fine additions Chris, I can't believe i forgot about the iconic: "They paved paradise & put up a parking lot" ..gonna have to that one to my design.
Like that Fogelberg line too!

-Thanks, Twocat! i'll check em out....thanks for the tip!

-Scott,another gem....I love that one too that,ill have to add.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:49 am

Scott, you are son on the money with that Pink Floyd line... one of the strongest lines I can think of.

Cori, did you make the graphic... nice job if you did.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic