Broadband Speed Test: Whats yours?

Chasplaya

Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:26 pm

BobR wrote:

Chas,

Thanks for the link
Man you guys must all be on Fibre keeping you 'regular' users of TG.

BigBear

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:24 am

skaladar wrote:

Yep, fiber is pretty awesome. Looks like Bear and I have the same service rating ... 35mb/s up and down stream.

Edit:

I mention the upstream because for normal browsing the upload speed is not very important. Most data is inbound.
But when you're uploading significant file sizes, like many of us do here, (busking, reviews etc.) you really notice the difference between symmetrical and asymmetrical service.

♫ Ken ♫
Ken-

You're correct. Out here, Frontier Communications took over all of Verizon's fiber optic services (FIOS) so that explains the almost identical speeds we have even though we are on opposite coasts.

But you have to love the download speed. You'll have to explain what a symetrical systems does for me. That's over my head! LOL! :cheer:

michelew

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:40 am

OK it's official, you're a bragging so and so Chas and Telstra is CRAP! I've been having speed issues for a while compared to the speeds that we can get, but they seem to be comparable with the global average at least.

And the speeds some of you are getting DAMN! they're fast.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1623052932.png

http://speedtest.net/result/1623065505.png

10 up, 0.86 down, ping 11.

Interesting.

M.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:38 am

So your move to Auckland has been the right way to go Chas... I can't imagine how it would feel going from 35Mb/s to 10 or, God forbid, 0.6 like Mark's! I'd be pulling my hair out! MY best result has been 26.45Mb/s (my competitive instincts force me to keep comparing!) which is way faster than the global average but only 70% of the Swiss top score. The scores Bob, Ken and Bear are getting are scrumptious, for sure.

Music Junkie

Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:52 am

Man, after seeing some of these speeds, it makes me feel very slow and old this morning..... ;)

Mine is a D-!!!!!!! I guess I had better get to the bottom of this....

Interesting to see the differences.

MJ

Chasplaya

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:59 pm

michelew wrote:
OK it's official, you're a bragging so and so Chas and Telstra is CRAP! I've been having speed issues for a while compared to the speeds that we can get, but they seem to be comparable with the global average at least.

Interesting.

M.
Hey my speed is not much faster than yours and only recently have I got these speeds. Before I moved yours was 3x mine. Telstra doesn't cover all of NZ but it's meant to be good where it actually covers.

skaladar

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:05 pm

BigBear wrote:
skaladar wrote:
Yep, fiber is pretty awesome. Looks like Bear and I have the same service rating ... 35mb/s up and down stream.

Edit:

I mention the upstream because for normal browsing the upload speed is not very important. Most data is inbound.
But when you're uploading significant file sizes, like many of us do here, (busking, reviews etc.) you really notice the difference between symmetrical and asymmetrical service.

♫ Ken ♫
Ken-

You're correct. Out here, Frontier Communications took over all of Verizon's fiber optic services (FIOS) so that explains the almost identical speeds we have even though we are on opposite coasts.

But you have to love the download speed. You'll have to explain what a symetrical systems does for me. That's over my head! LOL! :cheer:
Ah, if Frontier took over Verizon’s FiOS that does explain a lot. I though it odd that even though we both had FTTP (fiber to the premises) we had nearly identical speeds and service plans.

As far as understanding the benefits of symmetrical service goes it’s fairly straight forward Rick. Almost all residential service is asymmetrical (look at the other results) and for good reason. When you go to a website you are downloading all the text, tables, formatting, images and whatever video, audio, flash and other content may be there. Yes some of that is stored in the browsers cache so it doesn’t need to be downloaded again if you return but there is still an enormous amount of data moving downstream relative to what you are sending upstream. For normal browsing all you’re sending is mouse clicks, plain text form data and TCP packet info. I’m oversimplifying but from an ISP’s viewpoint download speed is what’s most important to their customers.

Where the difference in downstream and upstream speeds becomes most apparent is when you need to upload any significantly large or multiple files to places like YouTube. My YT account allows uploads up to 2.5GB for criminy sake! Photo sharing sites like Flickr and even Facebook can make you cringe if you want to upload your vacation photos and you have a slow upload speed. Video conferencing is another area where symmetrical service is helpful. If you use Skype, Yahoo IM, Oovoo or any other video conferencing apps the experience will be enhanced since the video you are “broadcasting” is being uploaded (indirectly) to the viewer.

As I said asymmetrical residential service is the norm for a good reason. Personally I do far more downloading of “stuff” than I do uploading. The only reason I have business class service with static IP addresses and relatively high symmetrical data speeds is business related. I run a number of servers and need to transfer large amounts of data between my home and my, and various other, company’s offices. Frankly, I’m a little surprised to see your speeds (upload in particular) assuming its residential service. That’s usually only needed for businesses that maintain their own websites and run their own servers and the like

♫ Ken ♫

michelew

Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:11 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
michelew wrote:

Interesting.

M.
Hey my speed is not much faster than yours and only recently have I got these speeds. Before I moved yours was 3x mine. Telstra doesn't cover all of NZ but it's meant to be good where it actually covers.
You're right Chas. and I was mostly stirring. But, the service can be VERY fickle though. Good for you that you've got some speed now. It must be a nice change.

BigBear

Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:57 pm

skaladar wrote:
BigBear wrote:
skaladar wrote:

Edit:

♫ Ken ♫
Ken-

Ah, if Frontier took over Verizon’s FiOS that does explain a lot. I though it odd that even though we both had FTTP (fiber to the premises) we had nearly identical speeds and service plans.

As far as understanding the benefits of symmetrical service goes it’s fairly straight forward Rick. Almost all residential service is asymmetrical (look at the other results) and for good reason. When you go to a website you are downloading all the text, tables, formatting, images and whatever video, audio, flash and other content may be there. Yes some of that is stored in the browsers cache so it doesn’t need to be downloaded again if you return but there is still an enormous amount of data moving downstream relative to what you are sending upstream. For normal browsing all you’re sending is mouse clicks, plain text form data and TCP packet info. I’m oversimplifying but from an ISP’s viewpoint download speed is what’s most important to their customers.

Where the difference in downstream and upstream speeds becomes most apparent is when you need to upload any significantly large or multiple files to places like YouTube. My YT account allows uploads up to 2.5GB for criminy sake! Photo sharing sites like Flickr and even Facebook can make you cringe if you want to upload your vacation photos and you have a slow upload speed. Video conferencing is another area where symmetrical service is helpful. If you use Skype, Yahoo IM, Oovoo or any other video conferencing apps the experience will be enhanced since the video you are “broadcasting” is being uploaded (indirectly) to the viewer.

As I said asymmetrical residential service is the norm for a good reason. Personally I do far more downloading of “stuff” than I do uploading. The only reason I have business class service with static IP addresses and relatively high symmetrical data speeds is business related. I run a number of servers and need to transfer large amounts of data between my home and my, and various other, company’s offices. Frankly, I’m a little surprised to see your speeds (upload in particular) assuming its residential service. That’s usually only needed for businesses that maintain their own websites and run their own servers and the like

♫ Ken ♫

Ken- thanks for a great explanation! That makes more sense and explains why Skype works better now that it did at my old Verizon DSL speeds.

The only reason I have this much speed is when I went to sign up with Frontier I was going to get 10mb/s; standard residential service. They offered me 35mb/s for $5 more per month. They couldn't even offer me the 25 mb/s service for the same price. Go figure! So that was a no-brainer! I don't need this fast of service for just surfing the net but it sure is fun!!

It's going to be tough if I ever have to go back to slower service.

Thanks again! :cheer:

tom18

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:19 pm

Interesting thread Chaz. My result follows. Reasonably fast downloads on Verizon FiOS but it's a pricey service. I'm actually thinking of switching back to cable. They claim to provide 50 Mbps down and 8 up and that would save me a bit on the bill.
Tom Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic