Hooking Up With Each Other: Skype

Chasplaya

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:10 pm

I'm guessing some of you use this already but maybe more could do so. What I propose is to use this Forum thread as a means of putting yourself out there as available to Skype, obviously not to post your details but just to make it known so you can pm each other. So many uses I can think of like: Working on similar songs, doing a collaboration, stuck on a piece, general rambling (I'm good at that!), arrange meets and... the list could go on.

It maybe that I have a bit of time being in between jobs (euphemism for unemployed lol), but heck this could be good use of Skype.

What say you peoples?

neverfoundthetime

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:15 pm

I think a number of folks are in contact on Skype already Chas (they told me not to tell you but I can't keep a secret ;-))
I'm signed up on Skype for sure. Anyone have experience with hooking up on conference call on Skype? Easy?
I think there will be delay issues when it comes to jamming, though.

AndyT

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:55 pm

I've had Skype for a few years now, but I've never used it to voice chat. and right now, I don't have the equipment to do it. LOL I've either got one or the other.... LOL

Rick sent me a Skype request and I've been so busy I never got back to him. (Sorry Bear...)
Other than that, it sounds good to me.

dennisg

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:01 pm

I've had very pleasant experiences using Skype for live chats with a couple of TG buddies. We play songs for each other, shoot the breeze, and introduce our spouses and significant others. I once looked into doing group chats, but Skype charges money for that capability.

AndyT

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:18 pm

As I recall, (Have not used it in a while) Yahoo messenger does the same thing and allows group chats. All for free. It even includes a shared whiteboard.

Music Junkie

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:23 pm

I have a skype account, but have never used it. I am very interested in giving it a go though. I know of a few others here at TG that have done so in the past with success.

MJ

tovo

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:14 pm

Skype is so easy, much more stable than it was initally, and a great way to catch up with friends, particularly those abroad. I scratch my head wondering why more people don't take advantage of it.

Chasplaya

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:17 pm

tovo wrote:
Skype is so easy, much more stable than it was initally, and a great way to catch up with friends, particularly those abroad. I scratch my head wondering why more people don't take advantage of it.
I never used to use it at my previous address as it was very slow and always kept stuttering and stopping. But here in Auckland its much better as our net speed is so improved. I think it has great or is that greater potential for TG'ers. And like Tony, I'm very surprised its not used more.

BobR

Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:21 pm

I have a Skype account and use it often at work. I work in the US and need to talk and See people in Malaysia and Thailand. It seems to work quite well.

I actually had a Skype lesson with Neil that went very well( If you recall I won the lesson from the Google Les Paul ditty) I recorded it and really wanted to post some of it, but the recorded audio was very distorted. The live Audio and Video was really good though.

FYI I used VodBurner and found that to get good audio you should use headphones so the audio from the other side doesn't feed back into your mic.

Oh yeah the file size got HUGE Almost 40GB

Bob

BigBear

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:35 am

Skype is great- most of the time! Somedays it gets a little squirrley and you lose connections frequently. But most days it's good. But if you have really slow internet service it will drive you nuts trying to stay connected.

I was talking to Tony recently and my son walked in and saw that I was "skypeing". When I told him Tony was in Australia it blew my son away because the picture was so sharp. Pretty amazing technology.

I wonder if we could do a group Skype? Or maybe a list of Skype names? It's pretty easy to add them to your contact list. :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic