Drum solutions

Hydroman52

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:01 am

Hydroman52 wrote:
daryl wrote:
An interesting read there Rick. Drum tracks really help fill out a song (along with bass and lead guitars). Maybe you (and others) could build a repository of drum tracks somewhere here at TG?
Hey Daryl,

Not sure how to put something like that together . . . . . but, to get things started, I'll try to attach an .mp3 file and the original MIDI file of the drum track that Jerry and I used for the Wild Horses video we posted here:

Busking Rolling Stones - Wild Horses

Hopefully, the .mp3 file should be attached somewhere here.

The drum track is really quite awful and unrealistic quality when played isolated, but it got us by and allowed us to stay synchronized. Now that I have better software and higher quality samples, I plan to do a remix of the drums for this song.

Hydroman52

EDIT: Well, it looks like I don't know how to attach a file to a message and have failed miserably. If someone knows how to do this, let me know, and I'll give it another try.

Okay, I think I figured out why the file didn't post . . . . . . it was over the size limit (duh!). The limit is 4000 KB (a.k.a. 4.0MB), and the file was a little over 4600 KB (4.6MB). So I zipped it down into a compressed file and included the MIDI file with it. Now it's under the limit at a little under 3800 KB, and it should show up . . . . . . . I hope . . . . .

http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... _Loud_.zip

Hydroman52

Hydroman52

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:03 pm

Andy, Dan, Stuart,

Thanks for your replies. It sort of felt like I was the only one out there trying to make drum tracks and was really bumping around in the dark. I have downloaded and tried both Beatcraft and Hydrogen, now, and both are very good programs. Quite honestly, I could very easily use either one of them instead of Drumsite. All of these packages do much of the same stuff, but it's presented a little different to the end user. I have to admit that Hydrogen is quite remarkable for an open source (free/donation appreciated) program. I guess if I had to sum things up here, it can be quite a journey finding the software package that you feel comfortable using and then auditioning the drum samples to track down the sound that you are looking for. After all that, try to make is sound like a live furry drummer and not a robot.

Vanessa,
Speaking of furry drummers, here is the most famous one that I know of:

[video][/video]

Another note to anyone who is interested . . . . . . . .

If you go to the killrbuckeye WEB site, you will find some good information on gear and software for home recording. He plays heavy metal guitar (not exactly my favorite) and has some videos on You-Tube. If you Google “killrbuckeye recording originals”, you should find a good description of his method for recording original compositions. If you go part way down that page, you should see a section about creating drum tracks using software. I discovered this after I had put in a lot of time figuring some of it out, and would have been much further ahead if I had found this site when I first got started. It's worth a look if you're interested in basic home recording.

Hydroman52

AndyT

Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:38 pm

I went and read the webpage you mentioned. He does it differently than I do.
I haven't posted any here on TG, but will soon...

I create the drums based on the real drums for that song. I'm no drummer so it takes me time. Then I play the track and play along with it. I make any adjustments I need before I save it to a wav file. that way, I don't have to keep exporting it like he does. Once It's exported, I can play it back thru an ipod or other mp3 device into an amp and play along with it easily. This is how we've been doing our drums so far. recently, we had a live furry one join the group. Now we just need to get him to invest in a portable kit. LOL

dekotaj

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:24 pm

Hahahaha! That was hilárious, cracked me up big time! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A furry drummer indeed, along with the great Rita Moreno 'Anita'! Haha! :laugh: :laugh: thanks!!

However, the thread , drumsolutions, well I guess I'm in this luxury position of being able to play the drums myself. I have a really great digital drumkit by Yamaha and whenever I need drums in a recording (or any recording), I record a preset-drumtrack of my keyboard as a backingtrack, add the other instruments, leave out the backingtrack and record my own drumming on top of it, playing along with the already added instruments and often vocals, even when the other tracks are not the final ones. Up til now, that works best for me. Funny enough, I've found out that recórding drums is actually nót that easy, since you can easily play the same song different each time you play it. You really need to decide how and when to do each fill or accent or whatever. So my solution is just me playing the drums.....except that in a live-setting I can't play another instrument at the same time :( and I'm not really furry.... :blink: :S ;) :P :laugh:

Hydroman52 wrote:

Vanessa,
Speaking of furry drummers, here is the most famous one that I know of:

[video][/video]

tombo1230

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:57 am

This would work with my DAW, but I believe it is costly.

willem

Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:33 am

Anyone familair with this...they told me it is the cheapest..

daryl

Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:12 pm

willem wrote:

Willem, You can use Reaper and drum loops that are free on the net. Here's something I did a while ago. It was really very easy to create....

willem

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:15 pm

daryl wrote:
willem wrote:

Willem, You can use Reaper and drum loops that are free on the net. Here's something I did a while ago. It was really very easy to create....

Like this one???

http://www.mhat.com/phatdrumloops/anatomy/

daryl

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:48 pm

They should work. There are lots of loops out there.

willem

Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:28 pm

daryl wrote:
They should work. There are lots of loops out there.

And the loops must we combine till a whole track lets say 36 bars,,we must also find the beats in the loop?? 1-2-3-4 or 1-2-3..

I have had a time that I practiced with the rhythm from a keyboard and had a hard ttime to follow it but that was way back,,maybe I must try it again..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic