Drum solutions

willem

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:39 am

I knew my digital recorder Boss micro BR as build in rhythm,,these are patterns,,arrangements,drumkits etc,, I think its very useful so I have to figure something out.

Willem

Hydroman52

Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:49 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
......my solution is just me playing the drums.....except that in a live-setting I can't play another instrument at the same time........
Vanessa - That's the ultimate. You are very fortunate to be able to do all that. It also takes much more musical skill and knowledge than I possess at this time.

AndyT wrote:
.....I create the drums based on the real drums for that song.........I make any adjustments I need before I save it to a wav file. that way, I don't have to keep exporting it like he does. Once It's exported, I can play it back thru an ipod or other mp3 device into an amp and play along with it easily.....
Andy - This is, in essence, what I do, too. I usually select a version of the song that I like (this may even be a cover) first and prefer a live version video where I can see the drummer (sometimes) and/or the drum kit. It's a lot easier to transcribe when you can see what drums or cymbals that are being played than trying to just listen to it and figure it out. Once I have selected the song "model", I start drawing out a quick sketch of the song measure by measure. This eventually becomes my road map for future changes (there are usually lots of those), and it has lyrics, chords, drum accents and any other notes I care to scribble down. I keep these notes with my sheet music and can refer to them and quickly note changes without having to lug around the laptop to run the drum program.

It works good for me (it's an old computer programmer's habit).

Willem - Hope you are finding some useful stuff in this thread.

If anyone is interested in some good tips on creating your own MIDI drum track, Google up "tweakheadz midi drum tips". This guy has two pages of interesting stuff.

Also, a great way to start thinking like a drummer is to learn how to play like a drummer. I’m picking up a whole lotta’ knowledge from drum lesson sites. Sometimes you can view or download sheet music for drums that can clue you in on inserting the drum hits in the correct places in MIDI files when creating your own drum tracks. To learn more on dynamics and patterns, I’ve really picked up a lot from videos by these guys (bloopers at the end):

Not only am I learning about drums, but I’m also learning how to communicate with a drummer. When I get the opportunity to sit in on sessions with good drummers, I (hopefully) won’t be a total noob.

I wouldn’t be spending as much time looking into this if I could easily find the isolated drum tracks that I want in decent quality, or a live furry drummer that could show up most of the time. We really don’t need a complete backing track (drums, bass, rhythm guitar, vocals, etc.), just the drums.

Hydroman52

sws626

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:17 am

Lots of good suggestions here. I've returned to this problem recently and have been working with some midi editors and drum loops. Hydroman is right that it is a great way to learn how to communicate with drummers. I will try to make available to others some of the drum backiing to songs I post in the future.

-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic