Happy Birthday Tombo1230

cosmicmechanic

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi Tom, hope it's been a memorable B-Day for you !

Oh by the way, has any of the "visualizing" of playing guitar while you recuperate actually occurred ?

Just wondering, I can quite understand if you haven't jumped in head over heels into this experiment, and the answer is "no". :)

Pierre

tombo1230

Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:15 pm

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Hi Tom, hope it's been a memorable B-Day for you !

Oh by the way, has any of the "visualizing" of playing guitar while you recuperate actually occurred ?

Just wondering, I can quite understand if you haven't jumped in head over heels into this experiment, and the answer is "no". :)

Pierre

Funny you should mention it Pierre. I am playing so well just visualising, that I may never need to actually pick up my guitar ever again lol! :laugh: :laugh:

In truth I have been taking a lot of lessons without actually playing anything and I have been doing theory of some kind every day. I have been learning how to find notes on the fourth string from notes on the sixth string and finding notes on the third string from notes on the fifth string seperated by an octave. I can do this in my head now. I am also working on the short form shapes D, A and F for second guitar pieces or soloing, although this needs more drilling and actual practice. I haven't actually tried learning any songs without playing the guitar as it were.

As I am out of my cast now I have played a little fingerstyle, but I have to take it in small stages, as it actually hurts if I play more than a page without stopping. :( .
The arm is kinda sore all the time anyway now the cast is off, but I am seeing improvement albeit slowly. Hopefully I will be back to regular practice in a few weeks, although strumming may take longer, I will just have to wait and see. The operation only took place 25 or 26 days ago, so it is still less than 4 weeks along the healing path. A couple of years ago a person would be in a cast or mobility brace for 6 weeks, after which time they would be allowed the use of the arm, so I am ahead of the game. :) It used to take 3 or 4 months to get back to normal and there were even cases that took 9 months due to complications. I believe by 3 months I will be back to normal for sure, but I am hopeing it is more like 2 months............ Fingers crossed. :)

Tom N.

suziko

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:21 pm

Hey Tom! I'm sorry I'm late to this, but let me wish you a Happy (belated) Birthday! It's so nice to have you on the site and I always enjoy your editing wizardry. I hope you had a lovely day and are also enjoying your holidays!

Warm regards,

Suzi

tombo1230

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:31 pm

suziko wrote:
Hey Tom! I'm sorry I'm late to this, but let me wish you a Happy (belated) Birthday! It's so nice to have you on the site and I always enjoy your editing wizardry. I hope you had a lovely day and are also enjoying your holidays!

Warm regards,

Suzi
Thanks Suzi, I had a brilliant day and I'm enjoying the holidays very much, hope you are too. :)

Tom N.

Chasplaya

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:52 am

How Old!!

Many Happy belated returns mate

Lavallee

Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:55 am

Hi Tom, Happy belated birthday. Hope you had a great time. I read that your are your complete self now and you are already working on your guitar , that is a good work out.

Cheers

Marc

tombo1230

Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:07 am

Chasplaya wrote:

How Old!!

Many Happy belated returns mate
Ah Chas, you never forget eh? and of course not to forget The Broons too! :)

Tom N.

tombo1230

Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:23 am

Lavallee wrote:
Hi Tom, Happy belated birthday. Hope you had a great time. I read that your are your complete self now and you are already working on your guitar , that is a good work out.

Cheers

Marc
Hi Marc and thanks. I have a bit to go yet, but I can pick up the guitar and fingerpick a little. Since the cast came off the pain has arrived, but I am trying to ignore that and just working to get back to normal. The scar from the operation is mending quite nicely as well. My range of motion isn't back to normal, but I am encouraged that I am seeing progress on a daily basis. I just need to wait it out and hope to be back to normal in a few weeks, that's my optomistic view anyway. It's all heading in the right direction. :)

I go back to hospital for a checkup on the tenth of January, at which point I should get some strengthening exercises to start. I reckon fingerstyle guitar has already started to help my strength in that respect. I won't be able to strum for a while as the bicep seems to play a big part in that.

All is good though and getting better. :)

Cheers,

Tom N.

thereshopeyet

Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks

tombo1230

Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:12 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
A very happy belated birthday Tom, between Christmas and New Year.....

Are you ever sober Tom!!!

My word! What a happy and handsome bunch, taken at a funeral no doubt. :laugh:

Dermot I don't drink much at this time of the year...........because I'm so pi--ed celebrating, I spill most of it! Ha! Ha! :laugh: :laugh:

Just kidding!...........I never spill any of it. :huh: :dry: :side: :laugh:

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic