Got o rhythm

jim_s

Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:44 pm

I have a question and not sure where or how to post it. can someone help!?

And here’s my question:
I would like to make request, comment or suggestion regarding the lesson for ‘I’ll Follow the Sun’ in particular. I bought this as a Pay Per Lesson. After reviewing the lesson I need help with the strumming pattern. It would also be helpful to see and hear a complete play through. I feel that if a strum pattern and play through were added I would be happy and willing to pay an additional fee. Any and all information appreciated.

willem

Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi,, I would ask you which problem you have with the strumming,,this is a very supporting community and we are glad to offer some help..
Sometimes it is hard to tell the problem with words so maybe you can film it and put it up here if you like..

Willem

daryl

Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi Jim,

Where you post a thread isn't critical but for your particular question I think I would post it in "Acoustic Guitar Songs". The description of that category is "Having trouble with a song?". I would make the new thread there an call it "Need Help with Strumming I'll Follow the Sun" and then describe what the trouble is. And like Willem said, it would be best if you could upload a video of you trying to strum it so we can all see and hopefully help.

Daryl

jim_s

Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks to both of you. I will post where you suggested. As far as posting a video I won’t practice in front of a mirror because I don’t want my reflection to see me. But what I mean is that if the first bar if a ‘G’ chord in the strum pattern down, etc or what?

willem

Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:03 pm

jim_s wrote:
Thanks to both of you. I will post where you suggested. As far as posting a video I won’t practice in front of a mirror because I don’t want my reflection to see me. But what I mean is that if the first bar if a ‘G’ chord in the strum pattern down, etc or what?

Sorry but I don't really understand what you trying to ask,,,is it a baut downs and up's??

jim_s

Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:11 pm

yes the strum patter(s).

daryl

Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:20 pm

jim_s wrote:
I'm the same way about posting videos. I NEVER (well almost never) show my face. As this is a guitar learning site I figure people want to see my hands not my face. So, please post your two hands and your guitar. No one will know it's you!

willem

Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi Jim,,I watched the lesson,,great lesson,,when you only strum the song (campfire way) it is for me D-DUDUDU but Neils gives you the possibility to add some fills and that is more a focused strum and explains that very well and you can also incorporate a lead and he gives that in the lesson too where you can do that,,I believe he sings that part and show it,,,

goodluck

AndyT

Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Jim,
Hello and welcome to TG.

All music has a 'Time Signature' It's what tells us how many strums before we change to the next chord. you will see it on all music written in standard notation. It's the numbers right up front on the song. 4/4 or 3/4 or something like it.

Lets stick with 4/4 for the moment.
The top number means that we will be strumming 4 DOWNstrums before we need to change chords. Now this is not always the case, but to get yourself going, we will take it that way.

Ever hear the drummer yell out at the beginning of a song, 'A one-a and a-two-a and...' He's giving the time and beat for the song to the rest of the band. We count music by placing the word 'And' between the numbers. So a simple 4 count becomes 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and. The numbers are down strums, the And's are upstrums. The first beat of the count is a downstrum.

This is a very simple explanation and only covers basics, but it should be more than enough to get you going.

If you need more help , feel free to ask. That's what we are here for.

dsmarion

Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:24 am

Hi Jim and welcome! Andy has given you a great explanation for learning to count and when to strum. You should also take a look at the Beginner's Genius Series (on the Master Menu on the left) which covers everything you need -- and it's free!

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic