cover ''radar love'' no drums,,just jamming,,not me !!!

willem

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:32 pm

I love it a..

skaladar

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:24 pm

You really hit a nerve with this Willem. Not in particular by this cover version but by the song itself and the memories attached. I first heard this song performed live by Golden Earing in New York’s Central Park on July 1st 1974 as part of the Schaeffer Music Festival where Golden Earing was the opening act for King Crimson. Tickets were a mere $3.00 at this venue of 6,000 to 7,000 people – good gawd! “Radar Love” had just been released months before and although Golden Earing had been around for more than a decade they had not reached international recognition until after this tour when their Moontan album reached # 12 and the "Radar Love" single reached #13 on Billboard’s charts (I had to look that up).

To this day I remember that evening well. It was a hot summer night, I was eighteen and some friends and I took the subway to the Wollman Skating Rink to see King Crimson. Unfortunately for Golden Earing, a faulty PA along with a very serious minded King Crimson crowd led to a far from enthusiastic ovation at the end of Golden Earing’s set. KC came on to blow the crowd away in THE best show I have ever seen … and I have been to a lot of shows. Despite the biased crowd reaction of having to “tolerate” an opening act, the driving beat and unique sound of “Radar Love” was well accepted. An indication of where the song and Golden Earing were headed. Over the years as “Radar Love” continued to receive sustained airplay, every time I hear it I think back with fond memories to that night as being one of the most entertaining (musically speaking) nights of my life. It has become a favorite.

Thanks for posting this Willem and reminding me of how much of an impact music can have on a person.

♫ Ken ♫

dsmarion

Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:49 am

Ken,

Hey, nice trip down memory lane, thanks for that story. That brings back a few memories for me too - mostly of a wayward childhood. In 1974 I was 16 and I remember we went to a club and somehow got in (the drinking age here at the time was 18, it was either 1974 or 1975 because I know I was underage). The club we went to was one of the largest venues around here and there was a local band playing - a very good local band, I saw them many times after that but this was the first time I ever saw a band in a club. They were just starting "Radar Love" when we got there and what a rendition they did, fantastic. I actually found out later that the drummer was handicapped, having only one hand (he had some artificial way of holding the drum stick in the other badly deformed hand, not sure, before the days of modern medicine and prostheses). But you would never know he had a handicap by the drum solo - it blew me away, as did the rest of their cover. That was my first introduction to live music and how fun it was to be a part of it.

Scott

willem

Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:28 am

dsmarion wrote:
Ken,

Hey, nice trip down memory lane, thanks for that story. That brings back a few memories for me too - mostly of a wayward childhood. In 1974 I was 16 and I remember we went to a club and somehow got in (the drinking age here at the time was 18, it was either 1974 or 1975 because I know I was underage). The club we went to was one of the largest venues around here and there was a local band playing - a very good local band, I saw them many times after that but this was the first time I ever saw a band in a club. They were just starting "Radar Love" when we got there and what a rendition they did, fantastic. I actually found out later that the drummer was handicapped, having only one hand (he had some artificial way of holding the drum stick in the other badly deformed hand, not sure, before the days of modern medicine and prostheses). But you would never know he had a handicap by the drum solo - it blew me away, as did the rest of their cover. That was my first introduction to live music and how fun it was to be a part of it.

Scott
Youth story's,,Well I don't remember much,,my first beer was at 16 on a dance night(I never danced),,however Golden earring is a Dutch band I seen them only twice life and that was in a kind of gym hall,,it was in there first playing I geuss,,well the drum solo is very recognizable ,like a guitar lick or intro and I think many drummers had to learn it,,in the cover jam above i like the way of solution it with the tambourine on the floor and the tamtam on the guitar

When I was 18 I bought me this,,,I don'thave it anymore,,I drove it till my 25 Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic