Whats In A Band/Artist Name?

Chasplaya

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:17 pm

A post in another thread gave me the idea this warrants its own thread:

Anyway, ever wondered where some bands get there names from? There are also some Urban Myths around about some ; well now we have a place to reveal, discuss and generally chat about some names whether they were successful or not in promoting the band or artist.

Ok to start the ball rolling, and only cos I watched Roger Waters Wall on TV last night.

So Pink Floyd's name: Syd Barrett supposedly came up with the name by combining the first names of two lesser-known blues artists -

Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

And there ya have it no psychedelic undertones whatsoever.

Chasplaya

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:32 pm

This story supports that of the guy Chris mentioned in another thread... Thank goodness 'Whoopee Cushion' was short lived!!

Led Zeppelin

Keith Moon and John Entwistle of the Who were hanging out with Richard Cole (The Yardbirds road manager) one night at the disco “Salvation” in New York. Moon and Entwistle were burnt out on the whole scene with The Who and were talking about the desire to form a band with Jimmy Page and Steve Winwood. And Entwistle said “Yeah. We’ll call it Lead Zeppelin. Because it will go over like a fucking Lead Balloon.” Laughter followed and Cole told Jimmy about the discussion later. So when the time came to change the band’s name from The New Yardbirds they finally settled on “Led Zeppelin” after short stints as “Mad Dogs” and “Whoopee Cushion”. They changed the spelling of lead to “Led” so that people wouldn’t mispronounce the groups name as “Leed Zeppelin”.

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:36 pm

Cool idea Chas. I looked into some names a while back and found this:

http://library.thinkquest.org/4626/rock.htm

Some interesting tidbits in there..... :)

MJ

Chasplaya

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:53 pm

The Average White Band

I had to do this one as I knew these guys when they were called the Dundee Horns and played a lot in a small town neighbouring mine, I also had the privilege of jamming with them and a few mates on a few occasions.

The Average White Band, named simply because they thought that's what they were , an average white band, simple really.

Best known hit in both UK and USofA

willem

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:14 pm

THE BEATLES,, A MIX FROM BEAT AND BEETLE.....

Chasplaya

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 pm

willem wrote:
or oft quoted by John Lennon who was also fond of saying he had a vision as a child of a flaming pie in the sky that said "You are Beatles with an "A"

willem

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:25 pm

GOLDEN EARRING,,THE NAME WAS TAKEN FROM A SONG CALLED ''GOLDEN EARRINGS'' BY PEGGY LEE..THEY SWITCHED NAMES I BELIEVE, THERE FIRST NAME WAS ''TORNADOES''

willem

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
willem wrote:
or oft quoted by John Lennon who was also fond of saying he had a vision as a child of a flaming pie in the sky that said "You are Beatles with an "A"

YES THE STORY IS HE DREAMED IT UP....IF THAT IS THE SAME HAS A VISION..

cosmicmechanic

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:50 pm

This is a band based in Montreal, Canada band whose name tends to be easily "rememberable" ... my daughter took the album photograph for them (they do tour worldwide)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic